crib mattresses

shirleytemple13shirleytemple13 Posts: 328Registered Users
We are going to buy a mattress and had a few questions.

I read somewhere that foam mattresses are better than the traditional coil ones? I worry about the chemicals and fumes from the polyurethane foam ?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Oh also - many people have offered us used mattresses. I read that these can grow fungus and contribute to crib death??? So I would feel more comfortable buying a new one.
2a/3a very fine and thin waves/curls
DevaCurl NoPoo/Angel 2x weekly

Miracle baby Victoria Elise arrived 08/10/08

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I loved foam...nice and light, yet very firm. Weight matters, because you may be changing sheets daily, and it's easier just to take the whole mattress out rather than going around the crib 92 times to get the fitted sheet on. Crib mattresses are meant to fit tightly in a crib, so you have to really work hard to get the sheet on...better to just take the whole mattress out. You have to get a good foam mattress though, not just a no-name cheapie which will fall apart in a year. Expect to pay about $100. The brand that I know of that makes good-quality foam mattresses is Colgate.

A good mattress will last through several babies, and they're all plastic coated, whether foam or inner-spring, so they're cleanable. I guess fungus growth inside would depend on humidity and climate of the person who owned it before. I probably wouldn't take a used mattress for my own baby, but I would pass down a crib mattress within my own family.

As for sheets...I preferred envelope-style sheets that fit over the entire mattress and fasten at the bottom with velcro. It's not so important with a newborn, but an older mobile baby can be very industrious and pull off a fitted sheet and get tangled up. Envelope-style crib sheets are hard to find though. I had to buy them online when I had my babies.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Oh also - many people have offered us used mattresses. I read that these can grow fungus and contribute to crib death??? So I would feel more comfortable buying a new one.

The theory is that the chemicals used for fireproofing combined with a fungus commonly found in the air combine to make a gas that causes SIDS. It's more common in used mattresses & mattresses used for second and later children, but it can supposedly happen with a new one as well. Here's a link to more info: http://www.prevent-sids.org/toxic-gas-theory.htm
    I got a mattress wrap for baby #2 because the theory sounds plausible, it was not expensive and I figured it would not hurt.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file