Essential Oils and massage

ZigaZagaZigaZaga Registered Users Posts: 473
Hi! Okay I have seen on the Growing hair challenge thread the point of scalp massage using rosemary essential oil in a carrier oil. I have some really good quality Rosemary EO right now but I don't know what proper quantities would be. It is a really volatile oil! What other carrier oils could I use besides the grape seed oil?

Anyone have a recipe? Then, what sort of quantity do you use for the massage?

Thanks!

Oh......I have had great results for nail growth using Lemon EO but I have heard it is photo sensitizing and not a good one to use in the Summer, especially on the skin. Alternatives to Rosemary EO could be......?
-3A?
-Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
-salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
-CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
-Growing it out
click here for fotki pics
-pw: ziggy

Comments

• amaraliceamaralice Registered Users Posts: 302
    Jojoba is a good carrier. Usually I think it's 2 parts carrier and 1 part essential oil, or 3 parts carrier and 1 part essential oil. Rosemary is fairly strong to saturate your scalp with.
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    http://LakshmsCupboard.com

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dalitwildalitwil Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    I have been doing this also! I try to actually kill two birds with one stone and make an all oil DT (usually with jojoba, coconut and/or now EVOO) and then just add some rosemary into the mix.

I have yet to determine if this is good/bad/waste of time, but it makes me feel better about my length. Plus, using a scalp massager with the rosemary leaves my head feeling so tingly and refreshed, especially if I do it after sitting under a dryer for a bit.

I'll be interested in any good recipes as well!
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Registered Users Posts: 473
    Thank you!

Yes a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio sounds about right. I guess I will go buy more pretty quick as the bottle I have is tiny and has a dropper so you can count the drops you use! But diluting it any more than that I suppose you would lose the stimulating effects.

So I can just use my favorite oil as a carrier? Good deal!

I also have a bottle of oil that has 31 EO's mixture (that I want to use up!). It says to use 5 drops mixed in shampoo to give stimulating effects. I suppose I could use that one too but dilute it a bit more than it is. Probably half and half.

The smell of both the rosemary and the 31 mixture reminds me of Vicks Vapor Rub. Not sure I will like to smell like that over the long haul. When searching the forums yesterday on massaging I saw that Jessicurl has one that smells like mint. That might be more agreeable for Summer! Or I suppose I could just buy a mint EO and mix it with rosemary?

More experimenting to do!
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file