What products for transitioning hair???

KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
OK, Ladies (and Gentlemen if any out there)...

I know you've all got your favorite products so maybe you can help me.

My hair is several inches past shoulder length. I stopped relaxing and ironing in Nov. '07, so I've got about 3-4 inches of 3B-3C new growth (with fuzzies up front).

What kind of conditioners, esp. leave-in, can I use that will soften and shine the new growth without making the relaxed part all greasy or gross?

I'm trying to get away from 'cones and DMDM, but I don't want to spend too much $$$ on hair that's still changing.

Thank you. :sad8:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
- Charlie Brown
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna

Comments

• mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    For me the biggest helper was co-washing only (made my hair A LOT softer and easier to manage) and spraying in a mixture of glycerin, water, and Soft-Sheen Carson leave in conditioner/detangler. The other thing is the style you wear your hair in. Products can only do so much. I braided my hair to the scalp, put rollers on the ends and let it dry over night. Check out my fotki for details and pics. That was my signature style while transitioning. HTH.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Our current situations are alike! (TR growing out)I agree - CO washing changed my hair, as did the entire CG routine.

As for product, so far I have had the most success with the Biotera Curl creme and the BRHG (they are affordable).

Goo dluck.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Thanks so much, Girls...

However, I should mention, I have a terrible case of seborrheic dermatitis. (Yeah, it's scaly and disgusting.) Co-washing alone might make my hair look good, but it leaves me unbearably itchy after just a few days.

I found a great product line (right in these threads!) called Max Green Alchemy. They're totally organic, so the shampoo is sulfate-free. It has relieved the seborrhea without stripping my hair.

Wal-Mart and Sally's are next to each other and just blocks from the office. I might just go there later and check out your suggestions!

Thanks again! :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file