Mascara?

Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
I am looking for a mascara that does two things:
1. curls
2. doesn't flake (no little black smudgies under eyes)

I have tried Maybelline Curl Power XXL and Lancome Courbe Virtuouse.

Both flake. I only wear mascara on my upper lashes.

Suggestions?
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really like Maybelline Lash Discovery in waterproof formula. It's the only mascara I've found that doesn't flake or smudge. I can finally wear mascara on my lower lashes again...I wasn't able to for years, because of the flakes and smears. It washes off with my regular cleanser too.

As for curling...it holds a curl if I use a lash curler first, but I don't think any of the "curling" mascaras really work to make the curl.
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i have finally found a mascara that i like: Covergirl Lash Blast. It comes in a fat orange tube. i always use an eyelash curler so i can't comment on its ability to curl on its own, but it holds the curl pretty well. and it doesn't flake except for when i don't wash it off at night (i know...its sooo bad to leave makeup on overnight.)

good luck with your search!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    I like Great Lash in clear. I gave up on wearing colored mascaras because I wear contacts and have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes. I always ended up with smudgies no matter what kind I used. Clear also doesn't bother my eyes at all, even when I rub them, wheras just about any eye makup I've tried inevitably gets in there and bothers the hell out of em.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kevyn Aucoin curling mascara is great. So is his lengthening formula.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like Great Lash in clear. I gave up on wearing colored mascaras because I wear contacts and have a bad habit of rubbing my eyes. I always ended up with smudgies no matter what kind I used. Clear also doesn't bother my eyes at all, even when I rub them, wheras just about any eye makup I've tried inevitably gets in there and bothers the hell out of em.

This is me, exactly, 'cept I rub due to allergies, not contacts.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    shellynot wrote: »
    i have finally found a mascara that i like: Covergirl Lash Blast. It comes in a fat orange tube. i always use an eyelash curler so i can't comment on its ability to curl on its own, but it holds the curl pretty well. and it doesn't flake except for when i don't wash it off at night (i know...its sooo bad to leave makeup on overnight.)

I am very intrigued by this. My fall back has been Maybelline Great Lash in Blackest black which works just fine, but I'm always looking for something better.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users

I second the Lash Blast. It's wonderful! I also use an eyelash curler, so I don't how well it curls, but it doesn't flake or leave smudges under my eyes and it washes off well.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'm going to have to try the Lash Blast - i've been using the Cover Girl one in the red tube and don't like it much.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LoloDSM wrote: »

I second the Lash Blast. It's wonderful! I also use an eyelash curler, so I don't how well it curls, but it doesn't flake or leave smudges under my eyes and it washes off well.

I just started using this and I really like it. It doesn't smudge, flake, or clump and it really adds volume to my lashes. I keep forgetting to use my eyelash curler though.
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!! :icescream:

I'm looking for a curling formula though because for some odd reason I have brittle eyelashes (or I did when I was in high school) and eyelash curlers would make them break off in the middle. It took FOR. EVER. for my lashes to grow back. My eyelashes looked like a "Y" LOL Soooo.... I dunno! Maybe I have to hunt around or skip curling all together??

But thanks for the input ;)
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ... I have brittle eyelashes (or I did when I was in high school) and eyelash curlers would make them break off in the middle.

try a heated eyelash curler instead of one of those metal ones that looks like a medieval torture device!

;)

i was forever catching my eye lid in those things.

with the heated ones, you push up from the underside of the lashes AFTER applying mascara. i've had mine for about 5 years - it still works and i like it.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I 4th the Lash Blast. I used the red one and liked it okay, but it took so much work to get a good base of mascara. The Lash Blast it only takes 2 coats and I'm out.

As for curling eyelashes. I don't curl mine, but when I'm putting on my mascara, when I get to the ends, I push them in slightly to make a curve. I hold it there for a moment to allow the mascara to dry slightly and therefore hold the forced curve. Works great for me. If I was extra curveage, I go on the backside and twist the wand as I'm pulling to the ends and hold the wand there for a moment to allow it to dry and hold the curl.

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Loving the CG Lash blast also! It makes my lashes look nice and full and goes on very cleanly. I also love how easily it washes out. I always end up with racoon eyes even after I wash off my mascara and hate having to rub so much. With this I don't.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Max Factor mascaras are generally acknowledged to be great. They come in some different colors, too, including auburn and blue. I currently use the kind whose wand has a yellow plastic head, and 2000 Calorie is also very good. Their mascaras are "crunchy," though, which some people don't like. However, I don't think a "soft" mascara like the Maybelline one in the pink-and-green bottle will curl very well.

Kiss Me mascara is pricey, but it's fantastic if you have good lashes to begin with and want something work-appropriate. It adds curl, separation, and color, but nothing else. This is the one that coats each lash in a little tube that comes off if you pull gently.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Max Factor mascaras. 2000 Calorie is great. I also like Masterpiece, although I'm undecided as to which is best.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file