Did/Do you have swelling in your ankles/feet?

SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
Hi ladies ... I'm so glad this board is here.

Have any of you experienced significant swelling in your ankles/feet while pregnant, without it being preeclampsia?

Every ache and pain I have usually leads me to think of the worst. Starting last Monday, my partner and I took about a 3-mile stroll through the city zoo and my feet got puffy. After relaxing for several hours, the puffiness went down a bit (not entirely) so I assumped it was all related to my activity. Then this past Saturday, I was standing on my feet shopping for Memorial day supplies (for about an hour and a half) and my feet ballooned terribly. Since yesterday, the swelling alternates - so either my left foot is completely normal and the right is slightly puffy, or vice versa, or both feet go down completely, then several hours later they are slightly puffy again.

I called my OB to try to get in tomorrow. I have no swelling in the face or hands, nor headaches, blurred vision, etc. I'm still worried that I'm developing that preeclampsia (although I've never had high blood pressure a day in my life). I'm only 26 weeks, so it's too early to deliver! Awwwwww, why can't this pregnancy just be uneventful???? :sad8:

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My feet and ankles were crazy. I have said before that I went to my last doctor's appointment with Birks flip flops - and I had to make extra holes in the straps. In January. My hands, face, neck, and knees all got very bad eventually but in the end, I had high blood pressure.

I am pretty sure most people get swelling in the legs, ankles, and feet but if it makes you more comfortable to see your doc then you should just do that. I'm pretty sure swelling is more or less uneventful so dn't let it worry you too much.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    at the end of my pregnancy (like the last two weeks) i had super bad swelling. and the after i had the baby, the swelling was even worse. i had it checked out and everything was fine, just fluid. it was so gross because my feet felt like water balloons, i could actually feel the fluid sloshing around under my skin.
  • SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    at the end of my pregnancy (like the last two weeks) i had super bad swelling. and the after i had the baby, the swelling was even worse. i had it checked out and everything was fine, just fluid. it was so gross because my feet felt like water balloons, i could actually feel the fluid sloshing around under my skin.

Ugh! That sounds terrible.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's nothing more than fluid retention for myself too. I am taking extra precautions by drinking 12 ounces of water every hour, wearing my sneakers constantly, and eliminating processed foods from my diet (I did go a little crazy on McDonald's, White Castles, and Quiznos - so my body's probably just saying "Hey ... you better slow down.").

We'll see tomorrow!
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that swelling in the feet and ankles is completely normal and does not indicate preeclampsia. It's swelling in other parts of the body, like hands and face, that can be a sign of trouble.

I never had it with my first pregnancy, but this time I've had some slight swelling in my feet. I'm on my feet a lot for my job, and the weather is getting warmer, so I think that's why. As long as my shoes keep fitting, I'll be OK with it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I believe you're correct, Sarah. I also have horrible swelling in my feet this time, and I do not recall it with my other 2, although I was pregnant in the winter the other times. My blood pressure is stable, and the midwife is not concerned about the swelling (although she keeps telling me to rest more . I told her I will as soon as I get some free time :tongue5:).
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've noticed a little swelling in the last couple weeks. I wear flip-flops a lot, but I finally bought some different walking shoes because my toes were all scrunched up and flip-flops just aren't enough support when I'm walking or on my feet for a long time doing chores, etc. (I sure hope my feet aren't actually growing.)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Correct...feet/ankle swelling by itself is not an indication of pre-eclampsia. I never had high BP or pre-eclampsia, but I had horrible feet and ankle swelling with all of my pregnancies. It was worse with each kid. With my last baby, I couldn't wear shoes at all over my water balloon feet for the last month. Really uncomfortable. I never really recovered fully after the last baby either, and I still deal with ankle swelling in hot weather or if I've had too much salty food.

Putting your feet up a few times a day can help, as can wearing support hosiery.
    Thanks! Everyone's answers provided loads of relief for me. :blob7:

I did read about swelling of other body parts being a heavy indicator of preeclampsia, but sometimes I saw explanations of feet swelling as a sign too. I'll check in with the doc tomorrow anyway.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I had some swelling in my feet towards the end of my pregnancy, maybe in the last month or so - not too bad, but bad enough that I couldn't wear shoes with any kind of strap across the foot and most of my shoes did not fit. It was bad enough that it bothered me to look at them. I did not have any problems with preecplampsia or any other health issues during my pregnancy, and I didn't swell anywhere else - I wore my rings through labour and delivery, my face was normal and my belly was relatively small. My feet also got worse after lots of walking or time in the car or when it was hot (I had my son in July.) I tried support hose and I tried foot soaks and they didn't really change anything. The only time I noticed an improvement was when I went swimming. By the time I came back from the hospital, my feet were normal and I could wear all my shoes.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My feet/ankles would swell badly, esp if I stood or walked any length of time. It got to the point I could only wear slip on Bjorn mules- ugly as sin but soooo comfortable.

At 32 weeks, I was measuring 40 weeks, and just a couple days after my appointment (which the doctor showed a bit of concern) my upper thighs were very swollen and I couldn't raise my legs very well, even to walk. That got me into an emergency ultrasound, which showed I did have excess amniotic fluid as well as the baby had fluid in his thoracic cavity (chylothorax) . They were going to keep in me in the hospital till I was closer to term, but the baby showed signs of distress and I had him by emergency C-section at 32 weeks.

The swelling got even worse for me the next few days after delivery, but the doctors said it was normal.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    Spider wrote: »
    My feet/ankles would swell badly, esp if I stood or walked any length of time. It got to the point I could only wear slip on Bjorn mules- ugly as sin but soooo comfortable.

At 32 weeks, I was measuring 40 weeks, and just a couple days after my appointment (which the doctor showed a bit of concern) my upper thighs were very swollen and I couldn't raise my legs very well, even to walk. That got me into an emergency ultrasound, which showed I did have excess amniotic fluid as well as the baby had fluid in his thoracic cavity (chylothorax) . They were going to keep in me in the hospital till I was closer to term, but the baby showed signs of distress and I had him by emergency C-section at 32 weeks.

The swelling got even worse for me the next few days after delivery, but the doctors said it was normal.

I'm curious ... did the doctors say that the swelling and difficulty walking related to your baby's condition? Also, Bjorns are those sandals with the holes in them, right?
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Spider wrote: »

I'm curious ... did the doctors say that the swelling and difficulty walking related to your baby's condition? Also, Bjorns are those sandals with the holes in them, right?

CORRECTION the shoes were Bjorndal (got them at RackRoom Shoes) and looked like this:

136119.jpg

I'm not really sure if the swelling in my thighs and excess amnio was tied in together, or with the baby's condition. Those were questions I ask now just so it makes sense, but at the time were facing such serious issue (like hydrops) it didn't come up.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    Ok, so I called my doc and she told me not to worry (like you all said). The only time we would need to be concerned is if swelling arrives in my face and hands.

I'm still keeping my Perricone Promise diet.

Thanks for the support everyone!:toothy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file