I'm tired of being pregnant

cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
This pregnancy hasn't really dragged like I felt my others did, but last night I had a semi false alarm, and now I am sooooo ready to be done.

I have been having cramps and contractions since Tuesday, but yesterday they were stronger and in my back. The midwife asked me to come in because I live 45 minutes from the hospital and I have a history of quick labors. I was 2 cm and 60% effaced when I arrived, so she sent me to walk around and drink some water for 2 hours- when I came back I was 4 cm. She suggested that I stay (again, because of my history)- this was at 10 pm. By 2, the contractions were gone even though I was still crampy, so I asked her to check- still 4 cm. She said it would be fine for me to go home. I would really like to get things moving again. I've tried sex, walking, squatting (she said the baby's head was high and to try squatting to encourage him to move down). What else can I do? I have an appointment on Tuesday and I feel like they're going to push an induction/ augmentation and I will probably give in because of my maternity leave, but this is probably my last baby and I was really hoping to do it without an induction. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spend some time in hands & knees position. Sounds like baby might be posterior. Squatting is only indicated if the baby's head is turned the right way, and baby usually can't move down unless he's in anterior position. To encourage anterior, hands & knees works best, because gravity works on the baby's back to pull it down towards your front and baby's head will be able to descend and engage better from that position.

Washing your floor in hands & knees position can work wonders, because you are moving and opening the pelvis while also allowing gravity to help pull baby into anterior position. So, get out the scrub brush and bucket and get a clean floor and maybe some labor moving in the process.

Good luck! Sounds like you'll have that baby very very soon. Remember, you can say NO to induction. It's your body and your baby.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Thanks RCW. I think I;ve carried all 3 of them posterior, hopefully I can encourage him to move.

I know I can say no to the induction, but I keep thinking that every day I don't have him is another day of leave that I won't get to spend with him. I have had 2 successful inductions in the past so I'm not so much worried about the outcome as I am starting to feel disappointed that I seem to need help to get my babies to actually be born.

I'm on my hands and knees typing right now. Tomorrow, I will scrub the floors yet again and hopefully, he will start moving out.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another variation of hands and knees is to lean on an exercise ball, on your knees, draping your arms over it. This can be helpful if your wrists get tired in H&K. Also, if you have any trouble with H&K aggravating carpal tunnel, you can make your hands into fists so that your wrists are straight.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I can't stress enough the importance of letting go and relaxing. I really empathize with your maternity leave situation. I gave up 2 weeks myself. But you have to tell yourself that it's ok and to open up to the experience. To add to the stress, my parents stayed with us for 2 weeks, hovering over my every groan to the point where I left the house to labor at my partner's house 10 minutes away. It wasn't until I felt I was in a place of calm and peace that I was able to progress with delivery.

Maybe just taking a nice warm bath and getting into a place of total selfish relaxation would help. (or a small drink). Think opening thoughts.
    hello.world.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I don't have any suggestions since this is my first baby, but I soooo feel you. I am 36 weeks and have had a difficult pregnancy and have been on bedrest since 18 weeks. I have also been hospitalized 4 times, I am exhausted from not being able to sleep at night, have to go to the bathroom all the damn time, tired of being kicked in the ribs and the bladder, can't remember anything, am so hot that I freeze anyone who comes into my home, my joints ache and my muscles cramp, etc. I really just want it to be over with!!!
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    J--When I was pregnant with Lilly, the midwife on call tried to pressure me into induction. I was 41 weeks and the perinatologist claimed the baby wasn't growing and that it could die (talk about scare tactics). I was very disappointed in the midwife for not trusting that I knew my body.

Anyway, I'm emailing you my birth story. The castor oil worked like a charm and it worked fast. Hopefully you won't even get to read it and you're giving birth already.

Good luck!!!

ETA: Consult with your midwife first, of course.
    Spend some time in hands & knees position. Sounds like baby might be posterior. Squatting is only indicated if the baby's head is turned the right way, and baby usually can't move down unless he's in anterior position. To encourage anterior, hands & knees works best, because gravity works on the baby's back to pull it down towards your front and baby's head will be able to descend and engage better from that position.

Another thing you may know already is to avoid sitting with your knees higher than your hips and to avoid sitting in a reclining position. Those things can encourage the baby to be posterior as well.

I do spend some time leaning back these days because I need to put my feet up due to swelling sometimes. I find it impossible to sit up straight and put up your feet.

I hope you get to meet your baby soon!
    Webbie, I am VERY stressed and I do suspect that it has a lot to do with it. Experience tells me not to give up more than a week of my leave- I only have 6 weeks, and although my summer schedule tends to be light, I am worried about leaving him so young. I have been having a glass of wine in the evening as it is keeping me from going off the deep end.

H- I am going to check my email. The midwife is not telling me the baby is in danger, but I suspect that will be next. I bought some castor oil the other day but didn't use it because I wasn't sure if I was dilating yet and I've read that it's more effective if you're already dilating.

Thanks everybody.

Maybe he's waiting for a name before he'll agree to make an appearance.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    Webbie, I am VERY stressed and I do suspect that it has a lot to do with it. Experience tells me not to give up more than a week of my leave- I only have 6 weeks, and although my summer schedule tends to be light, I am worried about leaving him so young. I have been having a glass of wine in the evening as it is keeping me from going off the deep end.

H- I am going to check my email. The midwife is not telling me the baby is in danger, but I suspect that will be next. I bought some castor oil the other day but didn't use it because I wasn't sure if I was dilating yet and I've read that it's more effective if you're already dilating.

Thanks everybody.

Maybe he's waiting for a name before he'll agree to make an appearance.

I'd take a personal day or a sick day and use it to go to the chiropractor and/or get a massage. You need to make the time to be totally selfish.

I'm a big fan of the wine thing for obvious reasons :D. Maybe try something sweet like a port.
    hello.world.
    Well, I had a regular appointment today as well as a biophysical ll profile and a non stress test. The baby looks fine, and the good news was that he is now anterior and engaged (Thanks RCW and BEG!). She gave me the option of waiting until Monday or coming in tomorrow morning and having my water broken. I'm a bit on the fence, she seems to think it will be successful given his position and my history of quick active labors although she did say that if nothing happened, then they'd have to use Pitocin, which I am not thrilled about.

I had some bloody show, which I never had with my previous pregnancies. Also,I definitely lost my mucous plug, which, again, did not happen for me with my other pregnancies. So maybe I am close and all this discussion is irrelevant.

Thanks for listening. I'm a lot less agitated about the whole thing right this second, so that's a positive indicator.
    It sounds like you're getting really close!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file