Spinoff: What Books Scared The Crap Out Of You?

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
This is a spinoff from Spider's 'Are You Afraid Of The Dark?' on the curltalk forum. What book(s) really, really scared you? When I was ten, I read It and I slept with my mom for a few weeks. She didn't like me to read horror books and my dad bought it for me because I did really well on a math test.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• kdwhitkdwhit Posts: 23Registered Users
    I started to read IT in middle school, it scared me so bad I had to stop. I tried again years later, same thing happened. I haven't seen the movie, b/c I like to read the book first.

Keep in mind, typically nothing scares me this bad. I was the little girl who's family took me to see Poltergeist, Amityville Horror, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and the Exorcist, when they first came to the movie theatres in our town. Now I'm 30, and I'm still not ready for IT.
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    Wow! I would've peed myself if I saw The Exorcist at a young age. After reading It I was scared of clowns for a while :?
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    The cover of The Shining scared the crap out of me, when I was little I always used to hide it on my mom. I still haven't read it until this day.

Not to many others scare me, I read before I go to bed and on more then one occasion I've had dreams about the books so I try not to read anything scary at night.
    papayahed wrote:
    The cover of The Shining scared the crap out of me, when I was little I always used to hide it on my mom. I still haven't read it until this day.

Not to many others scare me, I read before I go to bed and on more then one occasion I've had dreams about the books so I try not to read anything scary at night.

That happens to me too! A while ago, I read a Dean Koontz novel The Taking and I had some interesting dreams :shock:
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Stephen King's novel, Misery, scared me to death for some reason.

oo, also, Anne Rice's The Witching Hour scared me so badly I had to put the book down for a few months before I could finish it.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    A little while ago (I think a year or two), I decided to read a book called Hangman's Curse, by Frank Peretti.

It really freaked me out. Especially because at the time that I read it, I was staying in the room behind my brother's room (it's a giant closet that we turned into sort of a guest room), and it was really scary being alone back there. It was a Christian book, but what scared me, was that a lot of it was true, and could possibly happen. :lol:

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Stephen King has cornered the market on scarey books apparently. The most frightening book I ever read was "Salem's Lot." I remember I was reading it at twilight in my livingroom and I had to get up and switch on all the lights and turn the TV on!

I never read IT, but the mini series was one of the creepiest made for TV movies ever! I've seen it several times and I still get goosebumps at the scarey parts!
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    A little while ago (I think a year or two), I decided to read a book called Hangman's Curse, by Frank Peretti.

It really freaked me out. Especially because at the time that I read it, I was staying in the room behind my brother's room (it's a giant closet that we turned into sort of a guest room), and it was really scary being alone back there. It was a Christian book, but what scared me, was that a lot of it was true, and could possibly happen. :lol:

Sarah

What is this book about
  • DeCurloDeCurlo Posts: 28Registered Users
    I read Tommyknockers by Stephen King a very long time ago. It scared me. I remember looking over my shoulder as I was reading it.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users

Sarah

What is this book about

All I remember is that there was a curse that was all over a school or something, and there was a group of kids who talked to a ouija (sp?) board, and it told them who to target as victims to have something bad happen to them. I'm horrible at explaining these things, but it was scary. :P

For me at least... of course, I was jumpy after Batman Begins, so I probably don't count. ;)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    I have read several of Dean Koontz books and some of them scared the crap out of me.

• goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed

by Patricia Cornwell

Nightmares! The hibbie-gibbies! Aaaaack! I wish I had never read it! That he was an artist just freaks me out. That Scotland Yard owns one of his paintings really bothers me too (they bought it as artwork during his lifetime and now don't know what to do with it; they just had no clue!)
    ________
    WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
    Kurlee- Dean Koontz books scare the crap out of me :shock:

Goldencurly-I think I'll check out Portrait of a Killer. I saw the movie From Hell with Johnny Depp and I really liked it.
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gerald's Game - Stephen King
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • TriggletTrigglet Posts: 14Registered Users
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy. About a man and his son travelling trying to find food and shelter after some kind of (perhaps nuclear) holocaust. Incredibly moving, utterly gripping, but ultimately terrifying because of the light it shines on the fragility of our lives and the things we take for granted.
    CG since 04/03/09 so be gentle with me! :toothy9:
    COwash - Suave Coconut, VO5 S&C and Vanilla Mint Tea.
    Condish - LPVNG (pink one), Lustrasilk
    DT - Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Shea
    Styling - Currently HESMU and HETT, but just received some FSG from BB - yippee!
    Randoms - Nexxus Emergencee, hot oil because my hair has been tortured by years of highlighting!

Have had a love-hate relationship with my hair for too long, but am so excited to have found this site and the whole CG philosophy!

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    As a kid I started reading The Hobbit and when I got to the part where Bilbo meets Gollum I put the book down and didn't attempt it again for 10 years at least. I'm a very visual and auditory reader (I can "see" the action in my head and "hear" the words). Gollums whispering precious in dark cave just creeped me right out.

I have refused to read quit a bit of Stephen Kings stuff mainly because quite a few are set in practically my backyard. Salems Lot, Pet Cemetery, etc. Yeah....I still live in that area. I did read The Body. Danville is a real place and I drive through it quite a bit!
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    kdwhit wrote: »
    I started to read IT in middle school, it scared me so bad I had to stop. I tried again years later, same thing happened. I haven't seen the movie, b/c I like to read the book first.

Keep in mind, typically nothing scares me this bad. I was the little girl who's family took me to see Poltergeist, Amityville Horror, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and the Exorcist, when they first came to the movie theatres in our town. Now I'm 30, and I'm still not ready for IT.

Holy cow! This post could have almost been written by me! As the thread opened I thought to myself: Stephen king's It when I was in middle school. I finished it in the 8th grade mostly because I'd start when it was light out and when I'd notice the time again, it's be dark and I'd be too afraid to stop reading and to be left with my memories what I had read. I would watch the Disney channel after to try to deal. Scurry!!!! *shivering just thinking about it*

Another book that scared me was My Sweet Audrina by vc Andrews. It's not scary but the idea of a whole family lying to a child about herself and stuff terrified me as a pre-teen.

I love stephen king. The stand sorta got to me. The idea of a superflu and that people who dream a lot would be immune scared me. I'm a vivid dreamer! What if that really happened?!?!?!? Aaahhhhhhhh!!! Run for the hills!!!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • rosannarosannadannarosannarosannadanna Posts: 109Registered Users
    The only book that ever got to me was another of Stephen Kings's, Pet Cemetary.

I remember reading it many moons ago when I was in middle school. I literally had the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
    "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Our goals should be health (and) stamina." - Emme Aronson

3A short inverted bob, auburn with red highlights colored hair
    Fine, but lots of it

Yes to Cucumbers Color Care shampoo and conditioner, AOMMJ, KCCC, CJCIAB, CJRP, CJBCLI, CJCR.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlymix wrote: »
    I love stephen king. The stand sorta got to me. The idea of a superflu and that people who dream a lot would be immune scared me. I'm a vivid dreamer! What if that really happened?!?!?!? Aaahhhhhhhh!!! Run for the hills!!!

Me, too! I started reading The Stand when I was sick with the flu. I had to put it away until I was better...LOL I've never attempted IT. I'm already scared of clowns and I don't think it would help.

Something Wicked This Way Comes freaked me out, too. It's not gory or anything, but it's very intense in places. It's so good, though.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Stand, and Salem's Lot. Rosemary's Baby.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There are two. The first was a Stephen King book - Eyes of the Dragon. It scared the crap out of me so I did most of my reading in the bathroom. :tongue1:

The other book was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was about post-apocalyptic America. I read it in 2 days. It was one of those books were everything is so wrong you must know how it ends ASAP.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    House of Leaves scared the hell out of me. It's a lot of work to read and pretty terrifying, but it's also a terrific book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves

Edit: I just finished The Road, and I found it more depressing than scary, but it definitely gave you a constant feeling of impending doom.
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I just started to read a book that I couldn't even get past the first 5 chapters. I'm not sure of the name but it's a book about an evil house and the people who have lived it in. It starts off with a pregnant woman who is cursing the house and the evil that she's carrying in her womb and the man that brought her into the house. She goes outside and finds her husband hanging from the tree and she ends up going into labor. She kills the baby while reciting the Lord's Prayer. The baby struggles and would violently react in the womb anytime that God was mentioned. I like some scary books but this one was too much for me. I ended up just throwing the book out. I got freaked out just having the book in my room because I fell asleep and started to dream about it.

I read IT and he Exorcist when I was 12 or 13 years old. I slept with my bedroom light on for a year straight.

I ready a book called Babydolly when I was 14 and that book scared the living daylights out of me. I got rid of most of the dolls that I had left from my earlier childhood.

These kind of books scare and fascinate me. I don't like to be scared and I also do like to be scared. Crazy, huh?
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    R.L. Stein and his Fear street books. One of the I think it was the Wrong Call (2)? Had me at my wits end inspecting the closets for hidden killers lol

Stephen King also scared the pants off of me, especially IT.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know it's not meant to be a horror book, but when I was 11, I read "Lolita" and was literally traumatized. Honestly, I should've never been allowed to read it because the whole entire scope of the book was way beyond me. I even had to stop several times to look up words I didn't know. I still wonder why the librarian let me check it out in the first place. But I was so terrified that some man was going to prey on me and take me away from my family that I cried for weeks and had nightmares for months.

After that, I read whole series of "The Face on the Milk Carton" books and that didn't help.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman. This is her 1st novel.

Helter Skelter. That one really got to me, because it was a true story. I watched the movie.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed

by Patricia Cornwell

Nightmares! The hibbie-gibbies! Aaaaack! I wish I had never read it! That he was an artist just freaks me out. That Scotland Yard owns one of his paintings really bothers me too (they bought it as artwork during his lifetime and now don't know what to do with it; they just had no clue!)

Yeah I read that one as well, the creepiest part was that he had a whole other life, a wife, a family etc :S

True crime stories always scare me. I think the scariest one was 'perfect victim' (can't remember the author) it was a true story about this young girl who was killed by her old next door neighbor who had this crazy idea about stealing her identity. It was co written by the girl's mother, very sad.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file