The test was ...

cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
positive. Yesterday I found out we're going to have another little one, best I can figure, the end of January. We're still reeling from the shock (I've never had babies 18 months apart and always pitied those moms who did!) and you all are the first to hear the news.

Any advice to make me feel better about having babies this close together, and especially at my age (37) would be very much welcome!
Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
- Eagles

age.png

age.png

Comments

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    congratulations! My first are about 2 years apart and the benefits I'm seeing now are the built in playmate. It was hard the first two years but the payoff started sooner than I thought. Good luck and wishing you a healthy pregnancy!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cajuncurls wrote: »
    positive. Yesterday I found out we're going to have another little one, best I can figure, the end of January. We're still reeling from the shock (I've never had babies 18 months apart and always pitied those moms who did!) and you all are the first to hear the news.

Any advice to make me feel better about having babies this close together, and especially at my age (37) would be very much welcome!

Congrats!

I had 2 babies, 2 years apart, when I was 36 and 38, and my older 2 kids were 9 and 14 when the last one was born. I had never had kids close in age either, but it really wasn't that bad. I treated them more like twins...they got fed together, bathed together, read stories to at bedtime together, diaper changing seemed like a production line. I got a really good double jogging stroller, so I could handle them easier when out as a family for the day. We went lots of places...anytime there was an outdoor fair or event, we were there. I didn't need a double regular stroller for stores and stuff though, because my older baby was so good at walking and staying by me, but if she hadn't been, I would have gotten a double regular stroller.

The little ones got really good at being carted around to the older kids' various activities. They learned to take naps in the car or on the bleachers at basketball games. It was really good for the older kids too, to have little kids to help take care of. And, since I had grow-your-own babysitters, I was still able to get out for an hour or two occasionally. To this day, my younger kids have never had a real babysitter, just their older brothers.

One thing I always did was to do my grocery shopping A-L-O-N-E. Nothing is more stressful than cranky babies in a grocery store. So, even if I had to go shopping after they all went to bed at night, that's what I did.

You'll be fine, and your current youngest baby will have a close sibling to go through life with, just like her older sisters.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Congratulations!

My youngest two were 18 months apart. I would read books to the older kid while I nursed the younger. I would have the older kid help out as much as she wanted, so she would bring me diapers and such. You'll get through it!
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congrats! :blob7:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations!!!

Your going to be fine. My little one's will be only 26 months apart. Everyone tells me that once we're out of the diaper stage...it's easy. I'm holding them to that.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Congrats!

My girls are 16 months apart. I had them when I was 36 and 37 so I know exactly where you're at. Lucy is turning two next week and Sophia is 7 1/2 months. I'm in the thick of it.

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I'm not going to lie, the first few months were tough. I felt like I was always neglecting one of them because I just couldn't be in two places at once, and it caused me alot of stress.

I still get stressed out when they both need me at the same time, but I guess even if they were further apart in age that could be an issue, but it's hard to explain to a toddler they they'll have to wait.

It's kind of cute now that baby is eating solids, I feed them at the same time and they get a real kick out of each other. I'm looking forward to when I can bathe them together too, but Sophia's still too little for the big tub.

Are you going to nurse? This was the toughest part for me. I felt like I was sitting on the couch all day just nursing the baby. I was lucky that Lucy still took two naps a day, so that was time that I could nurse stress free, but if she was awake and really wanted my attention I just put on Barney or the Wiggles. She really didn't watch tv before that, and in an ideal world she still wouldn't, but I did what I had to do and I couldn't feel guity about it.

We haven't gotten to the point where they can play together, and there are still days that I want to pull my hair out, but overall it's not that bad.

My advice would be to go out as much as possible now, because going out with two babies is a production and most of the time not worth the aggravation. I felt like a shut in this past winter, but I'm trying to make up for it now that weather is getting nicer.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Congratulations! You will find a way to make it work. :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • jojobjojob Posts: 127Registered Users
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
    I have no advice, but I am sure you will figure it out.
    http://public.fotki.com/jojo2454/hair/
    http://public.fotki.com/jojo2454/hair-diary/
    PW: redcurl

Shameless self-promotion: I make artisan silver jewelry - check out my website :)
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations! My brother and I are 18 months apart. I know there were times it was difficult for my mom, but we really did play together a lot growing up.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations!
    My two oldest are 18 months apart. My sister is 39 and due in Sept. with her 4th. The last 3 are about 17-19 months apart.

A double stroller is a necessity, I found. I kept a fully packed diaper bag around to cut down on time. I became a huge fan of lists and kept a notebook with me at all times to write down stuff so I wouldn't forget. That turned into a calendar plus notebook.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    No advice , but congratulations!!!!:occasion7::wav:

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Congratulations!!!

My little ones are going to be about 18 months apart. I know several people with kids about that far apart, and they've told me it's great to have them play together when they're old enough. And, I've heard they have less sibling rivalry than if they're 2, 3, 4 years apart. I guess we'll find out. :)
    ehLB.jpg
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    Congratulations!
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Congratulations! My brothers are 17 months apart and they are super close, like twins.
    3c/4a
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. You don't know how much your stories have comforted me. It still doesn't seem real, but I think I'll be ok now.
    Looks like I'll be spending another pregnancy with you all!:wink:

However, considering we thought Elli would be an "only," (my older two are 18 & 15) everything - stroller, car seat, bassinet, swing - is pink. If we have a girl, we're set. If it's a boy, not so much. All of my children are girls, though, and I'm not sure I'm capable of producing a male child!
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cajuncurls wrote: »
    However, considering we thought Elli would be an "only," (my older two are 18 & 15) everything - stroller, car seat, bassinet, swing - is pink. If we have a girl, we're set. If it's a boy, not so much. All of my children are girls, though, and I'm not sure I'm capable of producing a male child!

I was the opposite. I have 3 boys, and 1 girl, and never thought I was capapable of having a girl. My girl was third, not 4th, but it's similar.

Just have to say...my youngest boy was man enough to carry off pink.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If it turns out you're having a boy, I highly suggest craigslist.com. You can sell your pink stuff and probably find good deals on some boy/neutral stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file