Is it normal for 1 year+ babies to be so hyper and clumsy?

Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
Falls and bruises. Running around silly and bumping into walls. Hitting her head against the hardwood floor. Is this all normal for an almost 17 month old? Just how many bruises are they supposed to get? It seems like I can't do enough to keep every part of the hardwood floor in our house covered with rugs (and boy, I'm beginning to hate the house I'm in with hardwood floors more and more...but I'm glad I'm moving next month. I had a limited choice on home rentals in my area when the baby was first born since rental costs are very high in my area).

Overall, I'm wondering if my daughter is overly-hyper? She likes to run so much and spin around and act silly. Sure, kids do that sometimes, but it seems like she just won't stop at times. I love her sense of humor, but I'm wondering if she's too hyperactive to the point where I have to worry? It seems like she just can't handle life outside the playpen. We're having a hard time keeping her calm sometimes because she gets so excited (not to mention she just won't stop touching things no matter how many times you tell her "no"). It's hard enough trying to move and watch her 100% at the same time and keep her calm. I have to admit I can see now why my mother put her in a playpen so often. I'm tired of seeing her get hurt. She just ran into a door this evening and bumped her forehead when she got overly-excited, thinking that someone was on the other side of the door.

What to do? Is my kid the only one who bumps into things so often and can't stay calm?

Comments

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No, she's perfectly and completely normal. She's learning about her environment. I think you need to remember that since she was in a playpen all the time you're not used to what a normal inquisitive child looks like. This is it. It's possible she's a little overexcited because she's out of babyjail and can actually explore. I'd take this as a great sign that she's learning about her world and trying to interract with it.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Definitely normal. Best piece of advice for FTMs is to have the nice portraits done right before the first year mark or they learn to walk. After that it's bruise city unless you're stocked up on arnica.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i dont know if its normal, but ive got a hyper one too. and the sleepier she gets, the clumsier she is. she likes to run on the couch and bounce from side to side like shes in a padded room. it scares me to death!
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My little sister used to have scabs and scrapes on her face so often from bumps and falls, my mom used to worry about CPS.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Both my boys were exactly the same. And with them, the more tired they got, the more hyper they would get. Kade had permanent bruises on his shins for the first 3 years of his life. His 1 year portrait was marred by a badly scrapped nose. He was always falling, always running into something, or jumping off something. If he fell and hurt himself, he would get up and do it again as soon as he stopped crying. As if he thought maybe he just didn't do it right or something. I was so scared that someone would call CPS on me, lol.

I have a theory that if little ones don't burn off x amount every day, it leads to them to misbehave. I find that a regular schedule of taking them to the park or outside to play really helps.

Also it's spring time, and the start of nice weather, my boys have always gotten a little more hyper at the beginning of spring.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    Both my boys were exactly the same. And with them, the more tired they got, the more hyper they would get. Kade had permanent bruises on his shins for the first 3 years of his life. His 1 year portrait was marred by a badly scrapped nose. He was always falling, always running into something, or jumping off something. If he fell and hurt himself, he would get up and do it again as soon as he stopped crying. As if he thought maybe he just didn't do it right or something. I was so scared that someone would call CPS on me, lol.

I have a theory that if little ones don't burn off x amount every day, it leads to them to misbehave. I find that a regular schedule of taking them to the park or outside to play really helps.

Also it's spring time, and the start of nice weather, my boys have always gotten a little more hyper at the beginning of spring.

amen to that. when majerle gets too crazy i take her outside and let her lead while i follow.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Well, it's good to know it's normal. I just hate to see her poor little head get so many bumps. Funny though, normally she laughs when she bumps her head. Last night after she hit it on the floor (after rolling around and squirming around so much) she just burst into laughter. She was already hyper, of course. Tonight's bump did not make her laugh so much...she cried a lot, in fact.

I think that from now all the way till the age of 3 will be some of the hardest times to get through with her. Fun at times, but rough at other times...
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Ugh, did I mention that my mother drives me crazy sometimes when things like this happen? Although she's pretty much accepted the importance for a child this age to be free to wander and explore, we've still had a couple of spats where she insisted that a little time in the playpen is necessary. Luckily, my father sees it my way and totally agrees with me that the playpen is a "baby jail", but even so I can't stand the tension at times with my mother.

I couldn't stand to see my mother overreact and say "see- Grandma knows best" due to the little accident that just happened and thinking that the baby needed to go into the playpen for a while after getting a bruise. She's just so darn overprotective. As if kids are never supposed to get hurt. Grrrrrrr..... :rolleyes:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I just wanted to add, I've read that toddlers on average fall down 15 times per hour. It's a lot, but totally normal!
    ehLB.jpg
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas is on the go the moment he wakes up. He has little bruises all down his legs from falling on our tile and hardwood floors. Usually when he falls he just gets up and keeps on going.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    All kids are different, but I would agree that falling down often is pretty typical of most toddlers. I had one who was forever whacking his head. He'd fall backwards, rather than forwards, and hit the back of his head. Scared the crap out of me sometimes, but he hardly seemed to notice. I had another toddler who never fell down. She was the most graceful child, always very cautious and careful. She still is. Any little boo-boo was (and is) the end of the world to her.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I echo that this is totally normal. They playpen is OK for 15 minutes or so at a time when the adult needs to shower or put something into the hot oven or otherwise needs to leave the child unattended. Not for putting the baby in after a bump or bruise.

As for not minding "no", it will probably take another year or more before you can expect her to do that. She is probably not capable of remembering that you said no five minutes later. Also not capable of controlling her impulses even if she does remember. Instead of "no" it helps to tell her what IS OK and redirect her.
    Example: child goes to bang toy on window
    You say "The glass will break if you bang on it. Here, bang on this" (handing her a peg pounding toy or other acceptable alternative). At this age it is all about distraction and redirection.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    subbrock wrote: »
    i dont know if its normal, but ive got a hyper one too. and the sleepier she gets, the clumsier she is. she likes to run on the couch and bounce from side to side like shes in a padded room. it scares me to death!

Heh, my daughter is like that, too. It's kind of funny sometimes. She stumbles around like a little drunkard! She gets really silly and giggly, too (she inherited that from me).

Sounds like your little girl is completely normal, Paula. Remember, she only learned how to walk about 6 months ago! She's still learning how to control her little limbs and navigate her surroundings. I'm glad she's out of baby jail! :toothy7:
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »

My DS is exaclty like this.

Just last night he was showing my friend how he could spin and spin and spin...and then he walked into a wall and smacked his head hard.

I mostly don't react to his falls because I don't want him thinking he can get my attention that way. I do comfort him when the fall or injury seems serious enough.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    My son is going to be 3 and he is still hyper and clumsy. It's normal. He's like his mom lol (I'm forever stubbing my toes) my daughter on the other hand isn't even two and she hardly falls lol. She's very careful and sometimes she pretends to fall when her brother does b/c she knows she can get attention by doing so. She takes after my husband who is not clumsy at all. My MIL told me that a good chunk of the problem is the fact they when they are growing they have to adjust to being bigger then they were and this can cause a lot of falling, bumping, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file