coconut oil, olive oil,....if you are no-poo how do you to get these oils out?

mnekaw3mnekaw3 Posts: 69Registered Users
I am just stating out with CG and tomorrow will be my 1st no-poo day as this morning I had to wash out any -cone's left in my hair.

Anyway, I'd like to try one of the recipies for a DT and I found one this one:
3 tsp honey
1/4 EVOO

Is this going to be a nightmare to try and get out of my hair? I can't imagine not using shampoo after putting a 1/4 cup of oil in my hair.

Any DT advice from any CG's out there?

Comments

• pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    Personally I've found it hard to get coconut oil out with a sulfate-free shampoo, let alone no 'poo. I don't use those oils unless I'm going to have one of my occasional shampoos.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used olive oil and gotten it out with a co-wash. But I use a LOT of conditioner in order to do it. I saturate my hair dry with a cheap conditioner, then wet it, add more and used it just like a shampoo. Rinse and condition as usual. Never been a problem for me.

• tmmycattmmycat Posts: 256Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I have a lot of random oils on hand from using oil cleansing method on my face and I like putting them in my hair. :) I have tried putting coconut oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, and apricot kernel oil in my hair. All of these oils came out with enough conditioner. conditioner is like an emulsifier to allow water and oil to mix. I agree, you will probably need a lot of conditioner to get 1/4 cup of oil out.
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    1/4 cup of olive oil is a lot, too much IMO. I make a DT using my regular conditioner, a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and lots of honey (close to 50/50 honey and conditioner). It rinses without any problems.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • UTgalUTgal Posts: 320Registered Users
    I'm sitting here wondering the exact same thing. I just did my first olive oil application and am sitting here with my hair in saran wrap covered by a shower cap with water dripping down my back, lol.

I'm going to leave it for an hour and cowash to get it out.

It was unnerving applying the olive oil though. It made my hair stick straight. I know in my brain that it's totally ok, that it isn't ruining my hair or anything but it was scary seeing my hair so straight. Gee, what a change of heart! :laughing:
    2c w/a bit of 3a
    Fine & plentiful, no dyes
    bioInfusion the Gentle One Shampoo
    Currently loving:
    Deva ArcAngell
    Deva Set it Free

Curly since 6/17/2008.
    oregonian_showersmile.gif
    http://public.fotki.com/UTgal/
    PW: browncurls
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    Get some cheap conditioner like V05 to co-wash it out. You'll need a lot, but it will come out if you scrub and massage. You might need to do multiple co-washes, though. But my hair is always waaay curlier after oil application, so it's worth it.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have no problem getting the coconut oil out with one cowash.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It came out just fine with a good cowash last night. I did another one this morning and am enjoying better curls today!
    2c w/a bit of 3a
    Currently loving:
    Deva ArcAngell
    Deva Set it Free

Curly since 6/17/2008.
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Posts: 473Registered Users
    ahhhh...the wonders of oil.

:)
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
    The more I think about it the more I think my hair really, really liked the olive oil DT. My curls are really amazing today.
    2c w/a bit of 3a
    Currently loving:
    Deva ArcAngell
    Deva Set it Free

Curly since 6/17/2008.
  • DwahvelDwahvel Posts: 56Registered Users
    Wow, can't wait to try this then! I've put olive oil in my hair, but only mixed with conditioner. Will try straight olive oil with the honey, and maybe a little lavender oil for scent.
    But doesn't honey strip color? I thought I heard that but don't remember where.
    Thanks!
    3b curls, color treated
    DevaCurl No-Poo & One Condish
    DevaCurl Set It Free and Angell
    Paul Mitchell Round Trip
    Schwarzkopf Osis curl spray
    Bed Head Manipulator
    I'm a Halo Head! :glasses9:
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Another vote for it always comes out with conditioner, but I'm using a lot.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I found adding a bit of lemon to conditioner and co-washing helps get oil out (though not sure whether the fact that lemon can be drying means its counterproductive though!)
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I don't find lemon juice particularly drying, although I much prefer lime juice - it's like vinegar, but without the rank smell! :toothy7:
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    hmm i think i'm going to try straight EVOO and leave it on for a few hours to see if my hair likes it. I'll be doing a protein treatment on saterday morning.

If my hair doesn't like it next time i'll try evoo and honey, or mix it with conditioner.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • miggy0801miggy0801 Posts: 26Registered Users
    would an ACV rinse be a good idea to be able to get oils out without using a half a bottle of conditioner?
  • AdeleAdele Posts: 30Registered Users
    mnekaw3 wrote: »
    I am just stating out with CG and tomorrow will be my 1st no-poo day as this morning I had to wash out any -cone's left in my hair.

Anyway, I'd like to try one of the recipies for a DT and I found one this one:
    3 tsp honey
    1/4 EVOO

Is this going to be a nightmare to try and get out of my hair? I can't imagine not using shampoo after putting a 1/4 cup of oil in my hair.

Any DT advice from any CG's out there?

As for me, I use all of these oils... mixed with pure aloe vera gel.
    Why ? Because it's easier to get out these oils of my hair then. And my hair is better moisturized with aloe vera.

Concerning honey, I don't use it anymore, because I just can't rinse it out !

My DT advice ? Use juste a few amount of oils (any oils, but for me, jojoba is the one that works the best!) and mix it with aloe vera gel or gelly if you prefer, and apply the mixture to your hair.

Or, you can make a "detangling spritz" with :
    - water
    - aloe vera
    - oils of your choice
    - essential oils

You can use it as often as desired, when you want to detangle your hair, or when you just want to give bounce to your curls or to moisturize your hair.

:)
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    I use coconut milk instead of oil, since the oil solids are lightly dispersed in the milk & easy to rinse out w/ warm water.

• KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    For me, I find it easier to remove oils with conditioner than shampoo (doubtful at first too but it works for me). I'm no poo too, btw.

Here's what I do:
    1. Apply conditioner (preferably cheap) on hair until hair is completely soaked in it.

2. Scrub scalp with pads of fingers (not nails).

3. Leave it on for a while. (at least 10 minutes)

4. Rinse out.

5. Follow with regular routine if you want or just add your moisturizing rinse out conditioner. (optional)

- so it's basically like CO washing..
    If you're not sure about the time, start with 10 minutes and add more or less time depending on how clean it is.
    - if hair is not completely clean, repeat. (usually gone by second try, if not by first)
    - no buildup, oil, or residue (for me)

I have another method, which I prefer.
    Here's what I do when I'm alone and don't want to spend a lot of time trying to remove oils in the shower:

1. Just add conditioner (preferably cheap) to dry hair.

2. Leave it in and do whatever you want for at least 10 minutes.

3. Rinse out and/or follow regular shower routine.

- multitasking
    - easy
    If none of those work, (never for me) or just don't have enough time, try a baking soda rinse (preferably followed by acv rinse) before using shampoo. And good luck!

- I'm CG too.
    - I use oils (olive, coconut, castor)
    - I CO wash.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    im CG though i dont co wash i use a low poo twice a week. i also use alot of oils every day. i only use a bit so i find that it tends to "soak" in my hair. olive oil is far to greasy for me, though i really like coconut oil.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've use coconut oil, sweet almond oil and apricot kernal oil (in small amounts) directly on my hair, and I add EVOO and honey to my condish for a DT. I've never had a problem getting it out with either CJDF or co-washing. Like other posters have said, you may just have to do a little more massaging with your fingers, and let the condish sit on your hair longer.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • CurlyJulie81CurlyJulie81 Posts: 110Registered Users
    It might depend on your thickness/porosity. My hair is super fine and even when I coat it with coconut oil, it comes out just fine with a co-wash in the shower. I'm sorry you're having troubles. :(
    3a/b fine, high porosity, medium density. Mod- CG

Sulfate-free Shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine shampoo with Epsom salts.
    Co-wash: TRESemme Naturals,
    Leave in: TN Radiant volume, KCKT, YTC pampering conditioner
    Summer styler: LA Looks Spiked Gel(summer only)
    Seal: Argan Oil/Macademia Oil
    Winter styler: KCCC, AIF, Beyond the Zone Noodlehead curling creme(not CG)
    DT: GVPCB, coconut oil
    PT: GVP Hair Reconstructor
    osWchwy.jpg?1Embracing my curls.:love7:
    Actually, for me, cowashing gets oils out of my hair better than shampooing. When I shampoo, it often takes more than one wash to get it all out and leaves my hair feeling stripped, almost worst than before. However, with cowashing I can remove it in one wash or two, just to make sure. With shampooing, it takes more washes, with cowashing it takes more time.

I have two methods and they both work pretty well.

Shower Method: 10-15 minutes
    -basically a CO wash but longer

1. Wet hair
    2. Apple conditioner (preferably cheap), just enough to soak hair.
    3. Use the pads of your finger and scrub your scalp for at least 2-3 minutes.
    4. Then leave the conditioner in for at least 10-15 minutes while you do your regular shower.
    5. Rinse. Scrub your scalp again as you do, just to make sure.

Dry Method: At least 10 minutes

1. Apply conditioner to DRY hair and coat your length. If your conditioner is the drippy type, just wrap it with a plastic bag or shower cap or whatever.

2. Do whatever you want, take a nap, watch spongebob, cook, feed your dragon, ANYTHING for at least ten minutes or however long.

3. After at least 10 minutes, rinse.

4. If you want, do a regular cowash just to make sure.

This works for me and I use coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, petrolatum (NEVER again), and a bunch of other junk that got stuck in my hair. Also, I use conefree conditioners.. Cones make my hair limp and feel coated, worse than oil on my hair..
    My bad.. Double post (embarrassed..)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file