Growing out from chin length layers

SJWavesSJWaves Registered Users Posts: 51
I keep getting my hair cut to try to fix the layers, but it just gets worse and shorter. I even cut it myself into a bob, but it looked like a pyramid. Now it looks like a mushroom because I gave up and had a stylist cut it. However, I if I keep getting my haircut, it obviously won't get longer at all.

It's really too short and choppy to wear up right now to protect the ends. I wear it up for exercise, but it is not a look I want at work. I've tried cute headbands, but I get these mouse ears on the sides from the layered areas.

So what's the best tactic when growing out from a bad cut and not much length at all? How should I handle growing out the layers? I eventually want it just past my shoulders because that is the length that is easiest for me and looks the best. Well, that or longer.

TIA
2-3A mix
Newly CG
No faves yet

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    I'm at that length now (and have been since January-ish). As soon as headbands started looking dumb, I bought some snap-clips and bobby pins and started pinning my hair back. There are photos in my fotki, and I think I demonstrate how I do it in a styling video I did (thread title is something like "Videos are soo the new fotki").

hth
  • SJWavesSJWaves Registered Users Posts: 51
    Your hair is too cute. It looks so healthy, too. I'll try the bobby pins. I have some claw clips, but I haven't tried snap-clips.

Thanks.
    2-3A mix
    Newly CG
    No faves yet
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    How short is the back? There are 'faux' up-dos that you can achieve with a few bobby pins that look really cute. I found that bobby pins where my best friend while growing out.

I saw a girl a few weeks ago with a bob that pulled the sides up and used bobby pins in an X pattern going up the back of her head for an updo and it was too cute. Wish I had pix to show. Not sure if I'm good at describing it.

Speckla
  • SJWavesSJWaves Registered Users Posts: 51
    The back, at the nape, is about 3 inches. That's growing out from where it was shaved from my really short haircut. That's my shortest "layer". The top layers have chunks anywhere from 5 to 8 inches long. On the sides, where my bangs used to be, it's about 4 inches.

I've seen some cute bobby pin updos and various other styles on shorter hair and they all looked really cute. The women I've seen had that inverted bob sort of thing like Victoria Beckham though. I think mine might be too layered to pull off the one where you just put two up on the top right behind the forehead. Maybe the updo ones will work. I'll have to try it out.
    2-3A mix
    Newly CG
    No faves yet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file