? to moms of late teethers

subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
my baby is going to be 1 in a few weeks and still has no teeth. no sign of teeth. nothing. nada. zilch. i wasnt too worried about it until i tried to find more info on late teethers. basically everything i found was horrible-- saying that late teething could be explained by malnutrition, the baby actually has no teeth under the surface to begin with, or some horrible disease where the gums are so hard that they have to do surgery to cut the teeth out, and one other awful thing that i apparently blocked out of my memory.

did your baby successfully sprout teeth on their own or was a medical intervention necessary?

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I never had teeth until I was 14 or 15 months and didn't lose my first tooth until I was 8 or 9, and I have great teeth - never had a cavity in my life, never needed braces. I'm kind of disappointed that JJ has 2 teeth - he bites me sometimes while nursing and it's no fun - I'd say you're lucky, and she's probably fine!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    that is the plus side to a late teether--no cavities to worry about and she doesnt bite.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    And they look like a baby for longer. I miss the toothless smiles... :(
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    My baby got her first two teeth at right around a year. Then they all started sprouting in...poor girl always gets them in pairs (lower canines at the moment) and sometimes even gets 4 at a time. Those are not fun times.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My two younger kids didn't get any teeth til they were over a year old. They're fine, not malnourished. They have been very late teethers with their secondary teeth as well.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander didn't get his first teeth until right before one. He got a few more around 15 months and then the poor dear only had 4 or 5 teeth until about 20 months when he got them all in about three weeks. Our doctor wasn't concerned. He just said he was a "late bloomer." His teeth seem healthy. My mom doesn't remember for sure but she thinks I was a late teether too. I didn't lose my first tooth until almost 8 and my last until 13. I didn't get my first cavity until after pregnancy.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I see people asking about this on parenting forums a LOT so I'm thinking it's probably just the late end of "normal."
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    My baby got her first two teeth at right around a year. Then they all started sprouting in...poor girl always gets them in pairs (lower canines at the moment) and sometimes even gets 4 at a time. Those are not fun times.

Korbie was the same. 1 year well-visit, nothing, just a few months later he had 4. Poor guy, all his teeth came in 4 at a time.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No teeth here either. I feel like he has been teething forever, though! Cranky, drooly, rubbing his gums and ears. Every time I think it's about to happen, I look and nada!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Lucy didn't get her first tooth until she was 15 months old. My husband and his brother were late teethers, so I wasn't really worried.

At her 15 month check up the doctor said she'd wait until her 18 month visit, and if there still were no teeth she'd send us to a dentist. She started sprouting a tooth about two weeks later.

She's almost 2 and still doesn't have a mouth full of teeth like I see with most other kids her age.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Jenny C wrote: »
    Lucy didn't get her first tooth until she was 15 months old. My husband and his brother were late teethers, so I wasn't really worried.

At her 15 month check up the doctor said she'd wait until her 18 month visit, and if there still were no teeth she'd send us to a dentist. She started sprouting a tooth about two weeks later.

She's almost 2 and still doesn't have a mouth full of teeth like I see with most other kids her age.

that makes me feel alot better. her first birthday is in 2 weeks, and i know shes not going to have any chompers by then.

shes decided shes on an all banana diet anyway, which after two weeks is begining to be a bit pricey because she goes through one bunch a day. but you dont need teeth for bananas!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file