Mommy doctors: advise me

DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I know none of you are real doctors and I have talked to my doctor many times already but I like to research on my own and take information to him. I'm controlling. It can't be helped.

Xander has some pretty weird symptoms that may or may not be related. For the last 2-3 months, he has had unexplained vomiting that lasts for about 3 hours and then it goes away. This happens every 10 or so days. He usually feels okay other than the vomiting. If my memory is correct, this started before his surgery so it isn't a complication from that. He has also run fevers twice. Once, it got over 105. (The urgent care doc said strep but he didn't have strep.) Yesterday over 102.

I thought food allergy but nothing makes sense. The only think he ate this weekend was cheerios and pudding. (Yes, I am a bad mom regarding food. So what). He drinks organic milk and I don't think he is allergic. I was but mine presented as an infant, not as a toddler.

Any ideas or thoughts? Does this sound like anything any of you have experienced? I am starting to freak out and think that he has some mysterious virus that is going to cause all sorts of Lifetime movie symptoms. We are going to see the ENT today so I will see what she thinks but she isn't usually very helpful for anything other than ears.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    To me, it all sounds unrelated. I would expect a little kid, especially those who are in daycare, to have several incidences of illness each year, up to the age of 6 or 8 or so. Fevers, even high fevers, are just the body's way of fighting infection. You may never know what organism caused a particular fever, but if the kid gets better, you know he successfully fought it off.

Little kids are exposed to all sorts of organisms that they haven't been exposed to before, and they have to build up immunity to those things. Every incidence of fever is the body's way of building immunity...when they successfully fight off this particular organism, they then have immunity to it for the future, often for the rest of their lives. That doesn't mean they are immune to all organisms though, just to the particular one that was trying to make them sick. Some kids are more prone to showing their immune respones with fever than others. Similar with vomitting...some kids are more prone to vomitting than others. Kids who have been sick several times in a season, probably have lowered immunity because their immune systems have been taxed, so they are therefore more prone to getting other illnesses. That doesn't mean that all their illnesses in a season are related, just that they've had several different ones. Their immune systems are also immature, and don't really start to mature til about 5-6 years of age.

The multiple illnesses that parents of young kids see is often just the consequence of daycare and early schooling. There's a reason why historically little kids didn't start school til they were 6 years old. It wasn't because they couldn't learn earlier than that; we hear stories all the time about kids who learned to read at ages 2 or 3....rather, it was because little kids didn't have all the immunities that adults have, and putting them in school (exposed to other little kids) before age 5 or 6 actually risked their lives. Kids used to die of viruses and common bacterial infections at alarmingly high rates in the old days. We have antibiotics and vaccines nowadays though, so most people can expect their kids to live through early childhood illnesses and into adulthood, but if they are in daycare or school at young ages, expect them to have multiple illnesses.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I don't know what to make of Xander's symptoms. And that they occur every 10 days is very odd.

I hope you get some answers from the ENT. I'll be thinking of you guys.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    The symptoms don't ring a bell for me much unless he had what Ian had in regards to mucous, a sensitive gag reflex and the vomitting that ensued with any sniffle.

What are you doing for his immune system? Have you considered something like CLO or other omega 3 complex? Also probiotics. I know he had issue with his ears and he had tubes put in right? But you definitely still want to make sure and strengthen his immune system.

When he's presenting anything like a fever, mucous or any type of illness symptoms I'd back off the sugars and dairy for a while. Even before you know what it is, those two factors can make an illness worse and tax the body's already overworked immune system.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, Medussa, RCW, and Marielle.

Medussa, it is really odd. Nothing new from the ENT. Just that one of his tubes was on its way out so she went ahead and took it out today. He was pissed.

RCW, thanks for saying it sounds unrelated. Unfortunately, going to his sitter's house is a necessity in my world. He is only around a handful of children on a regular basis and I am okay with that. I do need to remind myself that he is a (former) preemie and his immune system is not as strong as other kiddos and it was likely working overtime after his surgery.

Marielle, we just started probiotics. Do you have a favorite brand that you want to recommend? What is CLO? He did have tubes put in. As of today, he has one left. I have thought about mucus and sensitive gag reflex. I have been thinking about pulling dairy almost completely out of his diet. I am revamping some things and his dairy consumption is the last change I need to make. I am hesitant though because he is not a good weight gainer and he loves his milk.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    To be honest I just went with what was most readily available at wholefoods (and now vitacost) - Jarrow probiotic powder (not the baby). It is lactose based in case you want to avoid it and I have heard there are a couple of alternatives for those avoiding all traces. I mix it with the CLO (cod liver oil) in little shot glass measuring cups and hand them those in the AM. For the cod liver oil we've been using Carlson's and usually the lemon flavor. I know some moms mix the CLO with yogurt, apple sauce or orange juice for kids that are not likely to chug it down.

As far as the gag reflex and vomitting/mucous thankfully Ian's body seems to have matured a bit but like I mentioned we're much more aware of abstaining from dairy the minute I hear a sniffle. He would always vomit after dinner or right at bedtime when he was getting sick. We have so reached our vomit quota in the past 4 years.

I can understand being hesitant - all those dietary changes/eliminations can be so daunting and overwhelming. Maybe start out with just the immune building stuff and then move onto the dairy if it persists?
    Ahh, okay. That's basically how I picked what we have too. Whatever it is, he likes it so I am happy.

Ugh, I hate cod liver oil. I have horrible memories of that stuff as a kid. The lemon tastes less like evil? I don't know why I am worried. He loves medicine so he would probably like it too.

I'm a horrible mommy - I make all these herbal concoctions and just give them to the kids but I'm a horrible patient myself. However, the cod liver oil is the one exception. Both the Nordic and the Carlson's actuallly just taste like oil of lemon or orange. Some people have a texture issue thus the mixing it with something else but all it took was me chugging something while saying, "mmmm" and Ian took to it like candy. Then all it took for Ryan to take it was to see his brother was getting something he wasn't.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »

I thought food allergy but nothing makes sense. The only think he ate this weekend was cheerios and pudding. (Yes, I am a bad mom regarding food. So what). He drinks organic milk and I don't think he is allergic. I was but mine presented as an infant, not as a toddler.

He could have a wheat/gluten and/or soy allergy or intolerance. Not sure if cherrios have any soy or not.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    DarkAngel wrote: »

He could have a wheat/gluten and/or soy allergy or intolerance. Not sure if cherrios have any soy or not.

Ugh, you could be right. I was trying to forget that option.

Marielle, I am pretty bad about that stuff too. I hop around and squeal if I have to take anything gross.

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i don't have any insight as to what the symptoms might be about, but i hope your babe gets feeling better!

honestly, though, any immune support in terms of supplements is not going to make a big difference if his diet is poor. good nutrition is the first place to start when it comes to building immunity. i find myself much more susceptible to becoming run down when i have few whole foods and many processed ones (especially sugar) going on in my diet. it's even more so the case with little ones.

best wishes,

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    every 10 days seems to be systematic, to me, and not a random occurrence.

could he be coming in contact with something that's not food that could be triggering his symptoms? multiple chemical sensitivity (mcs) causes people to show extreme allergic reactions to low levels of common chemicals in the forms of dyes, preservatives, fragrance, etc. and vomiting and fever can be symptoms of some of the sensitivities.

think about seemingly harmless things that you do periodically, like opening windows for fresh air, dusting, or using certain household cleansers that could be triggering his reactions every 10 days. do you get your car professionally cleaned? if so, how often, and could the cleaners they use be the cause of his reactions? what about relatives that he visits? do they use air fresheners, carpet powders, perfumes/colognes that he's sensitive to?

i hope you can find the source of his symptoms.

ETA: our friend's mother died because she was allergic to shrimp. not eating it, just merely smelling the vapors from it cooking! someone in her home prepared some shrimp thinking that because she was in the back part of the house and they had the windows open that it wouldn't harm anything. the vapors triggered a severe asthma attack that she couldn't recover from. just the vapors.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    Mayim, he eats like crap. He's a two year old with a poor appetite. Actually, he doesn't eat much but he doesn't eat much processed food or sugar. We don't keep it around. I am trying to cut out what little bit is left.

Rainshower, it never occurred to me think about non-food things. I might wash clothes just that often. I can't think of anything else but I am going to brainstorm. Maybe his sitter is doing some deep cleaning. How horrible about your friends mom.

yours last post reminded me of something DA:

http://www.betterforbabies.com/vitamineralgreen.html

I have a friend who is a trained chef, keeps a super clean diet and yet her son is a super picky eater. She said that "green juice" was her saving grace for many years.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    yours last post reminded me of something DA:

http://www.betterforbabies.com/vitamineralgreen.html

I have a friend who is a trained chef, keeps a super clean diet and yet her son is a super picky eater. She said that "green juice" was her saving grace for many years.

How is the green juice used? Is it a liquid or a powder? I couldn't tell from the description if it should be added to water, juice or taken by itself.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    How do you use it, Marielle?

I've not used it and I keep forgetting to buy some for the v-8 poster child, my husband. I remember her mentioning she blended it either as directed (I think it's just water mixed with the powder) or she'd blend it into a blueberry based smoothie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file