So Confused...

SunnieShinesSunnieShines Posts: 5Registered Users
I recently decided to go from relaxers to natural curls but I have no idea what to do with it now. I cut my hair in August 2007 and I haven't had a relaxer since then. It's grown from above my ears to just below my ears. I've been using a flat iron but... I wanna wear it curly. There's so may things wrong with it though: it looks choppy, I think its too short, and also some spots aren't as curly as others (the hair around my hairline). When I wash it, I end up with this ugly fro in the front but somewhat cute curls in the back. I need some tips.

BTW: I use Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine System. Is that a good product line to use?
-Sunnie

Comments

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    I recently decided to go from relaxers to natural curls but I have no idea what to do with it now. I cut my hair in August 2007 and I haven't had a relaxer since then. It's grown from above my ears to just below my ears. I've been using a flat iron but... I wanna wear it curly. There's so may things wrong with it though: it looks choppy, I think its too short, and also some spots aren't as curly as others (the hair around my hairline). When I wash it, I end up with this ugly fro in the front but somewhat cute curls in the back. I need some tips.

BTW: I use Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine System. Is that a good product line to use?

You can try the CG method it might help.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14222
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
    Hi SunnieShines, you and I are in the same boat. My hair is probably about 3/4" longer than my ears in the front, and a mullet in the back lol. I'm also transitioning from flat ironing, and also growing it out to long.

I have found that the best things to do is to leave it natural. Dont flat iron it, your hair break off and the growing out process will seem longer. Twist your hair into bobbypins for a cute updo, which will also hide the annoying stringy pieces that arent behaving. Silk scarves are also pretty and attract attention, taking the focus away from your hair.

Also, the Curly Girl method (no shampoo, and silicone free products) has worked immensely well for me. My hair is no longer poofy and yucky, and my curls are beginning to take on a better shape.

HTH!
  • ebzonixebzonix Posts: 411Registered Users
    I wouls say to use th CG method aswell, and continuous heat can cause the curls to loosin just as much as the relaxers.
    Goals:
    CBL Stretched: Reached! July '09
    Full SL stretched: Reached, then trimmed off. Dec '09
    Even, full NL unstretched
  • SunnieShinesSunnieShines Posts: 5Registered Users
    Ok. But should I keep using the Garnier FructisCurl and Shine conditioner?
    -Sunnie
  • TooSenseTooSense Posts: 229Registered Users
    I think what's probably key for you is a good stylist. Regardless of method & products, your hair will be at its best when it's been styled properly. That would be step one.

When you've got the right cut, you can 1) ask your stylist how to proceed, & 2) research products & styling methods on the general discussion forum (I've been doing this & I suspect it's gonna be a while before I have it all straight---no pun intended--it is information overload!).
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
    Hi again Sunnies,

Well if you are planning on adopting the Curly Girl method, the Fructis products would not be good for that.

The ingredients for the Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine shampoo:

IngredientsAqua (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Dimethicone, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Distearyl Ether, Sodium Chloride, Behenyl Alcohol, Cocamide MIPA, Laureth 2, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Fragrance, Pyrus Malus Fruit Extract (Apple), Sodium Methylparaben, Carbomer, DMDM Hydantoin, Polyquaternium 7, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Citric Acid, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane Extract), Methyl Cocoate, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil), Linalool, Sodium Cocoate, Citrus Limonum (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)

The first two ingredients besides water are maybe not the best for curly hair.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate is a harsh detergent found in many shampoos. For curlyheads, this ingredients is typically seen as a big no-no, as it overstrips the natural oils from the hair.

Dimethicone is a silicone. A lot of curlyheads dont use this either because it coats the hair, and can create a lot of bad buildup.

I, personally, would try to find something that is "sulfate free" and "silicone free".
  • SunnieShinesSunnieShines Posts: 5Registered Users
    I didn't think that Dimethicone was a silicone. I'm gonna have to print this stuff out.

I do think that I need to go to a salon bad. I don't wanna mess anything up worse than it already is.

But thanks so much. I love this site.
    -Sunnie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file