pumping moms - will you give me the scoop?

mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
well, i have a little over three months before i go back to work part time, so i really have to get serious about pumping now!

even with all the info i've read, i still feel a little lost in the process. it would be so helpful to get the run down on how a few of you went about it, just to hear some first hand experiences, if you would be so kind as to share!

here are a few of my questions:

i'll be working about 4 hours a day most days, and a bit longer (5-7) one to two days a week. i have an avent isis pump, and it is supposed to be as efficient as an electric. i just got 3.5 oz in 20 minutes on my 3rd try, so that's pretty good. seems pretty convenient, smaller, etc. too.

should i still invest in a medela pump in style? i found one on craigslist for $60.

how far in advance did you start pumping to build your supply?

how much surplus milk stored do i need to start out (like for how many days)?

how do you feed the babe and have enough for daily feedings?

how many times a day and what times of day did you pump?

did you start an extra 'pumping' feeding time to establish a supply?

what did you do for engorgement during the first weeks at work?

how did/do you store milk? in bags? in bottles? glass? plastic? 2 or 3 or 4 oz units?

how do you prepare the milk for the next day - do you thaw the night before in the fridge?

transport milk to care provider in bottles? bags?

transport milk home in bottles? bags? cooler?

when/where do you sterilize your pump/equipment?

how many and what kind of bottle system/nipples, etc. are best?

thanks in advance - i know it's a lot of info!

xo
m
coarse, thick 3a
modified cg

weight.png

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    for the first two or three months after baby was born i pumped/bottle fed as well as breastfed. im still a stay at home mom, but hopefully i can help a bit.

should i still invest in a medela pump in style? i have an evenflo dual electric pump and i had no complaints.
    how far in advance did you start pumping to build your supply? i started pumping while in the hospital.

how much surplus milk stored do i need to start out (like for how many days)? n/a

how do you feed the babe and have enough for daily feedings? i made a surplus of milk so i would feed the baby and then pump afterward or if she was asleep or not hungry i would pump.

how many times a day and what times of day did you pump? i pumped every 2 hrs around the clock.

did you start an extra 'pumping' feeding time to establish a supply? i dont understand what you mean, but i may have already answered this.

what did you do for engorgement during the first weeks at work? even though i didnt go back to work i finally decided to get rid of all the surplus milk by only pumping at feeding times. it took a few days and many breastmilk soaked pajamas but it worked.

how did/do you store milk? in bags? in bottles? glass? plastic? 2 or 3 or 4 oz units? in plastic milk storage bags. they were premeasured and hold 6 or 8 oz.

how do you prepare the milk for the next day - do you thaw the night before in the fridge? yes

transport milk to care provider in bottles? bags? i'd pour it into bottles if i would be leaving the house.

when/where do you sterilize your pump/equipment? at home i washed them but when traveling i had some breast pump cleaning wipes. very handy.

how many and what kind of bottle system/nipples, etc. are best? my little one used avent bottles and nipples. for the few short months that she used them, we never had any problems.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    well, i have a little over three months before i go back to work part time, so i really have to get serious about pumping now!

even with all the info i've read, i still feel a little lost in the process. it would be so helpful to get the run down on how a few of you went about it, just to hear some first hand experiences, if you would be so kind as to share!

i'll be working about 4 hours a day most days, and a bit longer (5-7) one to two days a week. i have an avent isis pump, and it is supposed to be as efficient as an electric. i just got 3.5 oz in 20 minutes on my 3rd try, so that's pretty good. seems pretty convenient, smaller, etc. too.

should i still invest in a medela pump in style? i found one on craigslist for $60.

yes.

I started at around 3 months right before returning to work. Looking back, I should have started earlier when my body had no clue what appropriate supply is.

as much as you can

how do you feed the babe and have enough for daily feedings? I bf until the last moment in the morning before I went to work. I would come home at lunch and bf. After work, I would bf on demand.

I would pump 1 - 2x at work and whenever I could at home.

I tried, but my body didn't cooperate.

not a huge issue (no pun intented ;) ).

how did/do you store milk? in bags? in bottles? glass? plastic? 2 or 3 or 4 oz units?

glass bottles and medela milk bags

how do you prepare the milk for the next day - do you thaw the night before in the fridge?

I have no clue, since I wasn't around. I just froze when I had enough for a day supply. I would refrigerate or leave room temp if I only had enough for the day.

Mostly glass bottles

Mostly glass bottles

only at home.

I had about 3 dozen glass bottles (evenflo) with gerber nyuck slow flow nipples. We never switched to medium flow nipples.

xo
    m

good luck.
    hello.world.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    should i still invest in a medela pump in style?
    I know people who can manage pumping the whole time with a good manual. I got the PIS because I was gone 3 days a week for 10 hours. I also stopped letting down for the Isis at around 6 months.

If your supply is good you can start with a minimum of a couple of days' supply. But more is better. I think a week or two is a good cushion. I generally pump to store one extra feeding a day, so it would take me 3 weeks to get a weeks supply. If you pump more you can do it faster.

I pumped 3 times a day when at work, evenly spaced through my absence. It's a good idea to pump once for every feeding you miss. I also pumped right before I went to bed, a few hours after my son went to bed. He was sleeping a good long stretch at night so I knew I would have more milk by the time he woke up to eat. Morning is also a good time for a pumping session since your supply is most abundant. You can feed on one side and pump the other.

Did not really have it since I pumped 3 times a day

In bags in 3 oz units, since that was generally how much he ate. I also froze milk in an ice cube tray and kept it in a freezer bag. Each cube is more or less an ounce, in case he needed topping off.

With my son we had in-home care, so I did not have to worry about transport. The babysitter just took a bag out right before a feeding and thawed/warmed it under hot tap water. Tuesday he ate what I pumped Monday, Wednesday what I pumped Tuesday, etc. I froze my Friday output and on Mondays he got the oldest milk from the freezer. That is how I rotated the frezer stash. Nadia will be going into day care and I am not sure about transporting and thawing and such, but I will discuss it with them and see how they do it. She uses playtex disposables, so I use the same bag that I store in right in the nurser, so I know I will just send the bags.

I transported in the Medela bottles in the little cooler the PIS came with.

I had the Avent microwave sterilizer, but I used it only the first time and once in a while thereafter. At work after I pumped I rinsed my pump parts and kept them in the fridge. Washed with hot water and dish soap when I got home. I had two sets of pump parts and two sets of bottles, just so that if I was exhausted I did not have to wash everything for the next day.

The best kind is the kind your baby will take. I like the playtex disposables because you can feed directly from a milk storage bag, so I am lucky she likes it too.

ETA:
    I like the Lansinoh bags with the ziplock seal best.
    On work days, I would feed my son when I woke up at 6:30, feed again right before leaving at 7:30, pump at work, feed him as soon as I got home, feed him again before bed, and once when he woke up at night. On weekends I fed on demand.
    Medela makes special bags that you can sterilize parts in any microwave with. I had some at work for an emergency but I never really used them. I also had an extra set of bottles and pum attachments at work, because I forgot them a few times.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I wouldn't if you'll only be working short days. The PIS has the advantage of being able to pump both breasts at once. I only have time to pump at work one, while D. eats at least twice, so I need to be able to pump both. If you can pump as many times as the baby eats in your absence, I wouldn't worry about it.

About a week in advance, but I went back to work at 3 weeks PP.

If you think you can keep up with what she eats once you're pumping, you only need 2-3 days worth. If you're having trouble getting as much pumped as she eats, obviously you'll need more.

Not sure what you mean here. I pump at work and nurse at home. What I pump goes in the freezer stash.

Before working, I pumped here and there when I felt like it. Since you have a lot of time left, you can be pretty relaxed about it. Usually, mornings will give you the best output pumping.

No, I didn't want to create an oversupply, so I just pumped a little bit here and there before I went back to work. Now I (ideally) pump as much as he eats, so my supply (once again ideally) stays the same as if I were nursing full time.

Pumped. When you're working 4 hours, you should probably be able to pump once without angorgement. On the 7 hour days, you'll probably need to pump at least twice.

I pmp into the bottles that screw onto the pump. At home, I tranfer the milk in 4 oz increments into plastic Lansinoh bags and freeze them flat. When he was smaller, I did 3 oz increments, but the 4 works well now. I've heard that antibodies can stick to glass, so I don't use glass bottles for that reason.

No, DH runs the frozen bags under the faucet in warm water right before a feeding. Since they're frozen flat, they thaw and warm up very quickly.

DH watches him at home, but I would probably do the frozen bags if they were willing to thaw them. The daycare we looked at, however, only takes prepared bottles, so you'd have to thaw it ahead of time.

I store them in the fridge at work in the little cooler that came with the pump. It's the simple soft kind which I'm sure you could easily buy without a pump. Then I just take the cooler home and tranfer milk from bottles to bags.

I wash it at home. They sell microwavable sterilizer bags, but I only pump once at work, and my breastshields can't be microwaved (they're the soft kind).

I use breastflow. Everything else has too fast of a flow, adn he gets a lazy latch after a bit.

xo
    m[/quote]
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I pumped with an Isis pump when I worked full time after my first baby. For me, the only advantage of the pump in style (which a friend gave me for free and I used for my second baby) was that I could double pump, which cut my pumping time from 20 minutes to a little more than 10. With Max, I needed to get 8 oz. in that time (and did), for Maya, I only needed 4 or 5 oz., I would usually get 6.

I didn't pump to build my supply so much as to gain experience and to give the babies some bottle experiences before they were old and set in their ways. I think I started when they were about 2 weeks old, pumping once a day, usually in the morning. I didn't give them a bottle every day, I froze some of the milk so we'd have backup.

It depends on how much you're able to pump at a time, but I'd have a couple of days worth in the freezer anyway. If you could store a week's worth, that would be great and it would diminish your stress level about it.

This was not an issue for me- I had a pretty good supply, although it was better for my first baby. I think that's because he required a lot more than my daughter did- he would take 8 oz from a bottle at a feeding, where she might barely take 4.

Before I went back to work, I pumped once in the morning, usually after a feeding, to increase my supply as well as my milk stash. At work- when I worked 8-9 hour days, 5 days per week, I nursed before I left for work, pumped around 11:30 and again at around 3. When I worked 3 days for week for 5 or 6 hours, I pumped once, around lunchtime, and then usually a second time in the middle of the afternoon. This was for my second child, I was less worried about pumping enough because she did not consume much milk compared to my first child.

Yes- I think it helped both to build a stash in the freezer and to encourage my body to produce a little extra- made it a bit easier to pump those first few weeks back to work when I had to get used to pumping on schedule.

Wasn't really an issue- although if I recall, you work with preschoolers.. If that's the case, I will share with you that when a mom would come in for a meeting or to pick up her child and she had a baby with her, I would leak if it was close to my pumping time. Never a big deal, though, I just made sure to wear nursing pads.

Depended on the baby. I froze milk in 4 oz. units, usually in bags. If it was milk for the next day, for Max I kept it in Evenflo bottles (after some expensive trial and error, that was the kind he ended up liking the best), and I stored 8 oz. because that's what he'd take in a feeding. For Maya, who didn't really like any bottle that I offered, I used disposable Playtex nursers because they were the most convenient for me and she did ok with them. I stored her milk for the next day in 4 oz. units, and sometimes she wouldn't ewven take that much at a feeding.

To keep tnhings simple, I tried to just use the milk I had pumped the previous day for the next, stored in the fridge. If it was Monday and I was defrosting, I think I just put the milk in the fridge in the morning and dad or the sitter would thaw it in a bowl of hot water when it was approaching feeding time.

Max was cared for at home, so it was not an issue. For Maya, I prepared her bottles at home, and gave them to the daycare like that. They also had spare milk in the freezer just in case, labeled with her name.

Max: in bottles in a cooler. Maya: I was doing EI therapy at children's homes, so I arranged my schedule so I'd be near my house at lunchtime and pumped at home. That was super convenient- I'm kind of bummed I won't have the same arrangement this time around.

I did it at home in the evening.

In terms of bottles/ nipples, you really have to go with what your baby likes/ will tolerate. There's the BHA issue as well. Personally, I like the Playtex nursers- there's no BHA in the bags and there are fewer things to clean. But as I wrote before, Maxwell did best with regular Evenflo bottles with the old style nipples. The one recommendation I can make is to make sure you get slow flow nipples- they're more comaptible with breastfeeding.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    remembered one more thing. I think it was geeky who posted this link to a website that had a philosophy about breastfeeding & pumping. Hopefully someone else will provide the exact link. Basically it said not to store a bunch because it throws off your body's signal to produce the right amount of milk. Pump just enough for a day or two.

I think that works for people who both pump regularly on a good schedule , and have good supply.

Something else to consider. I would feel really really depressed and/or sad after breastfeeding. Not as much with pumping. I'm hoping that feeling doesn't happen to you, but definitely get the emotional support you need to do this - whether it's herbs, talk therapy, hubby being a cheerleader etc.
    hello.world.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Slight guano: Geeky, so you have the Playtex nurser pump adapter kit? It has an adaptor for the PIS and seems to pump right into the Playtex drop in bags. I was wondering how it really works, do the bags leak, etc.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    No, I don't have the kit. I pumped into the medela bottles and transferred to bags when I got home.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users

should i still invest in a medela pump in style? dunno. i had great success with the hospital freebie that lasted years after our first was born. i started off using it for our second and when it finally broke, i bought the avent manual pump and had great success using it.

how far in advance did you start pumping to build your supply? probably about 2 months before i returned to work. i had the top part of our freezer full of milk and part of my mother's freezer too. (she kept our babies when i returned to work.)

how much surplus milk stored do i need to start out (like for how many days)? i actually didn't need to use my frozen milk immediately upon returning to work. the fresh milk that i pumped the previous night and first-thing in the morning were enough for me to leave with my mother until i came by at lunch time. then, i would nurse and pump. i was blessed with an abundance of milk, so i could pump from one breast 4-5 ounces during the day in about 15 minutes with a manual pump. i could fill a full-size bottle with my early-morning milk from my right breast (which always produced about 2-3 ounces more than the left).

how do you feed the babe and have enough for daily feedings? the frequent nursing and pumping will be enough stimulation to keep your supply up so that you'll have enough to nurse baby and to pump for later.

how many times a day and what times of day did you pump? i pumped right after nursing my babies in the morning; pumped again mid-morning at work (around 10-ish); nursed and pumped on my lunch break; pumped again around 2:30 (at work). right after picking the up from my mother's, i would nurse on demand the rest of the day after work and would pump right before going to bed.

did you start an extra 'pumping' feeding time to establish a supply? no.

what did you do for engorgement during the first weeks at work? i kept a box of nursing pads in my desk. i never became engorged, because at the first indication that my milk was about to let down, i would go pump. 10'clock was that magical hour when i'd feel my breasts feeling full again.

how did/do you store milk? in bags? in bottles? glass? plastic? 2 or 3 or 4 oz units? i used zip-lock snack size baggies to put my milk in for freezer storage. i used an insulated breast milk bag that was a hospital freebie to store my milk until i got home. it came with the ice-gel packs to keep the milk cool. you can find inexpensive breast milk baggies at your local pharmacy too. i stored them in 2- to 3-ounce increments when they were newborns. as they got older, i stored about 4-6 ounces. i always had mixed amounts frozen so if my mother felt that they could eat 8 ounces, she could open a large baggie and a smaller baggie and not waste any milk.

how do you prepare the milk for the next day - do you thaw the night before in the fridge? breast milk thaws really quickly. my mother and husband would just place a frozen baggie in a bowl of very warm water for a few minutes until it thawed before transferring it to the bottle. it didn't have to be perfectly room temperature before giving it to them, so long as it was thoroughly thawed and shaken to blend the skim and whole milk.

transport milk to care provider in bottles? bags? bottles. i didn't want my mother to have too many steps in preparing a bottle. but when she needed to crack open some of my reserved frozen milk, she became a pro at thawing it out.

transport milk home in bottles? bags? cooler? bottles in the insulated bag.

when/where do you sterilize your pump/equipment? home only.

how many and what kind of bottle system/nipples, etc. are best? for our first, we used evenflo angled bottles with the wierdish-looking curvy nipples that were supposed to have the shape that the baby's tongue would easily press against. we had a few of them saved so that our second baby used them too (bottles not nipples). but she mainly used the bottles and nipples that came with the avent manual pump system. there was never nipple confusion with either of our babies who were fed my milk from the bottle before i even returned to work.
    [/quote]
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users

yes

I only pumped, BUT i would think the sooner the better to get your body used to the excess milk.

I like geekys idea, pump for the next day. You can always add an extra time in if you feel that is not enough since you are starting early.

n/a

When I was pumping, I pumped when he ate, so i made sure we were on an every3 hour schedule round the clock. I would set up his feeds, then pump.

n/a

n/a

I liked the bags better then bottles. I would freeze them flat, then store upright.

Popped it in the fridge the day before i needed it

n/a.

I used like carrying the bottles in the cooler home better

Since we were in the hospital, I bought the steralizer bags that I would clean it in. I also had 4 sets of tubing (enough to last me one full day if I washed 1/2 through).

WE used dr. browns b/c of digestive issues. Next time around I want to switch to glass bottles.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I was an exclusive pumper, so I was in a different situation, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

should i still invest in a medela pump in style? i think it depends on how well a manual works for you and how much time you have at work to pump. I think the electrics are probably more efficient for a lot of people and have the advantage of pumping both breasts at the same time.

how far in advance did you start pumping to build your supply? Most women I know had difficulty maintaining a supply pumping at work. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to start pumping daily at the same time you plan to pump at work (after you feed the baby, of course). You won't pump much at first, but your body should adjust. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of a stash.

how many times a day and what times of day did you pump? You should try to mimic what your baby's feeding patterns are, since that is what your body is used to. If he/she feeds every 2 hours, then you pump every two hours.

did you start an extra 'pumping' feeding time to establish a supply? See above. Also, if you have trouble keeping up, you may want to add a pumping session in the morning after you feed the baby and before work.

what did you do for engorgement during the first weeks at work? If you are puming efficiently, I wouldn't think this would be a problem. You should empty your breasts when you pump.

how did/do you store milk? in bags? in bottles? glass? plastic? 2 or 3 or 4 oz units? I used bags since they store flat and can be kept in a box.

how do you prepare the milk for the next day - do you thaw the night before in the fridge? I would thaw overnight and pour into a bottle for the daycare. But, I would use the milk you pump for the next day at daycare. You can just store it in a bottle in the refrigerator. Use anything in the freezer for emergencies or if you don't pump enough.

transport milk to care provider in bottles? bags? I would do bottles so that they don't have to mess with bags/spillage.

transport milk home in bottles? bags? cooler? I would use a cooler, but if it was frozen milk, remember that it is only good for 24 hours

when/where do you sterilize your pump/equipment? If you have to pump more than once, after you pump the first time, store the pump accessories in the refrigerator and reuse for your next pump session. I saved myself a lot of time using one set of horns for the day. Then you can wash your equipment at the end of the day at home.

how many and what kind of bottle system/nipples, etc. are best? I used the haberman feeder because I had hopes of Audrey breastfeeding and didn't want her to get spoiled by the bottle. Also, the medela bottles are the "good" plastic. How many bottles you need depends on how many times the baby needs to be fed at daycare and how many times you want to wash bottles.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    should i still invest in a medela pump in style?
    Personally, this was the best investment I made.

With #1, I started pumping right away, maybe when he was around 3 weeks old. This resulted in an over-supply, but I had an awesome arsenal of milk in the freezer. I loved it. With girl, I waited longer to start, since I wasn't into bottle feeding her right away.

This depends. With #1, I had about a month or mre supply of milk in the freezer, and we would just rotate it out, using the oldest milk first, etc. With girl, I had maybe three weeks worth of supply, and we'd rotate it the same way. The one thing I did to measure the supply was if they drank one frozen bag, I woudl make sure I replaced it with one frozen bag...so I always had the same amount in there. When they started going through TWO bags and I only could pump one, I knew there was an issue.

I would add an extra pumping session, usually in the morning before they woke up, but not too close to their wake up time.

While working, I pumped every two to three hours.

Yes.

I slowly cut back on pumping time, or I would try and cut out a pumping session.

I used the plastic zipper bags. Straight from pump to this little cooler thing that came with my pump (had an ice pack thing adn everything.

Yes. I never microwaved it. I might have put the baggies into a cup of warm water.

Many care providers will ask that it be in bottles, labeled with the name, date, and what it is: Formula, BM.

Baggies or bottles. Sometimes, I would pump into the bottle, then get home and pour it into the baggies. Baggies labeled with date.

Medela makes these sanitizing wipes that you can use while at work. They also make these microwave bags to sterilize at home or work. Put the parts into the bag, add some water, microwave for 3 minutes. LOVED these.

This really depends on your baby. Son LOVED the Evenflo wide nipples, daughter loved the Playtex nurser system with the latex nipples, she HATED the silicone nipples. Your best bet is to just buy a couple different kinds and keep trying...baby will let you know what works.
    :rambo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file