Cloth diaper all-in-ones

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
I went to Cotton Babies today and checked out our different options (inspired by Bailey's posts of those cute Bum Genius diapers!). My husband told me he would "rather shoot himself in the nostril" than use prefolds :lol: and that he would rather pay extra for the all-in-ones than getting fitted diapers and covers.

So we are looking at the Bum Genius all-in-ones. They come in different sizes and one size fits all. The one size starts at 8 pounds, according to the person we spoke with in the store. They said we could start out with the XS size, which fits 6-12 pounds, and then buy the one size later. So it sounds like we would be buying two sets of diapers.

Does anyone have experience using all-in-ones of either type (different sizes or one size fits all)? Any advice on how many of which size we should get or other advice in general about CDing? TIA
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Is there any reason why you aren't interested in pocket diapers? My husband was fairly apprehensive about them initially, but he's a big fan now. They really are very easy to use, and not gross at all, even the poopy diapers. We have the pocket BGs and I think they are wonderful - and truly one size, so the $400 odd that we spent on them will last Lucas until he's potty trained.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I've never used AIO's and if I could have afforded to, I definitely would have gone with them or pockets (although my husband has now totally gotten used to prefolds and doesn't complain about them). I have heard that AIO's take a long time to dry, so you may want to consider that. The few pockets I have dry really fast and I like that I can easily double-stuff them for overnight.

ETA: I also wanted to say, as far as getting two different sizes of the BG's, if you want to save money you could always use prefolds or even (gasp!) sposies until your LO can fit into the one-sizes. It won't be long before she's 8 lb. Another popular newborn option is Kissaluv (fitteds) size 0. They're more expensive than prefolds but less than pockets or AIO's.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Is there any reason why you aren't interested in pocket diapers? My husband was fairly apprehensive about them initially, but he's a big fan now. They really are very easy to use, and not gross at all, even the poopy diapers. We have the pocket BGs and I think they are wonderful - and truly one size, so the $400 odd that we spent on them will last Lucas until he's potty trained.

I think those are the ones I'm talking about. I'm new to all this cloth diaper terminology though.

These are the ones we were looking at:

BG One size cloth diaper

BG XS All in Ones

The Cotton Babies website for the one size diapers says they fit babies from 7 pounds and up, but the women in the store told me it was 8 pounds and up.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yup, those first ones you linked are pockets. I stuff mine after washing, so my husband doesn't have to do it. (He shares your husband's sentiment about any kind of cloth diaper you have to "do something" to use.) I like them because the suede inner fabric is a stay-dry fabric that wicks the moisture inwards into the diaper. They don't feel any wetter than sposies, unless you let them get really full (at which point disposables would also feel wet). I've heard these can be a bit bulky on a newborn, but I didn't start using them until D was 3 months and 15 pounds.

The second ones you linked are AIO's. These have the insert/stuffing already inside and it's sewed in. They also have a stay dry lining fabric, and they are really easy. I found them to not fully dry in the dryer, but if I laid it out overnight, it would be dry by morning.

There is also a BG one-size all in one that I linked in the other thread. I have not tried those yet. That one has a sewed in soaker, but it's only attached at the back. I imagine it would dry faster than their other AIO's. The downside is that organic cotton is not stay-dry, so they baby may feel some wetness. On the other hand, some people say that helps CD'd babies potty train faster. Or you could get separate fleece stay-dry liners.

Are you planning to buy a stash before the baby's born, or do you want to try several kinds? Jillian's Drawers has a cloth trial program that I did when we first started. It's not enough to CD full-time, but it basically gives you one of each type to try out. It's only $10, which is much cheaper than most other cloth diaper trial programs.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I agree - I also HATE pre-folds and definitely like the ease and versatility of all in ones or pockets - you will save money in the long run for sure, especially if you have more than 1 child, and the more children, the more you'll save.

I never got small sizes - he was 7lbs 5oz, and I started him in the one size diapers and they worked fine. I would wait to see what your baby weighs at birth. If she is born early or is under 7lbs or so, then you might want to get a few newborn sizes, but they usually grow so fast (especially if you nurse) that she wouldn't be in them long, and I think that that would be a waste, personally. If you feel your baby is too small for the one size diapers, I might just use a few cheap pre-folds or disposables until she grows rather than buy diapers I might only use for a couple of weeks.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    You could also check out diaperswappers.com and by a few gently used NB/SM all-in-ones to have on hand in case the one size doesn't work at first , that way it's not a huge loss to you if she doesn't wear them very long. That's what I did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file