Two door cars & baby???

sariroosariroo Curl NeophytePosts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I drive a two door car. Hubby thinks I need a new (or newer used) car and thinks I should get a four door because of the upcoming baby. I don't want a new car (don't want to pay for it) and certainly don't want a four door. Even if I were to get a new car, I would want another two door. We do have a small 4 door SUV that can be driven if it is too much of a pain getting the kid in and out of my car.

Did anyone here have a two door and live through getting your infant in and out? I don't plan on having any other children after this so it is not like I will need more room for the future or anything. Just want to know what others experiences were. TIA.
316vq4y.jpg

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I don't have a two-door, but I would imagine that it would be a real PITA with a baby. You definitely won't want to bother taking the "bucket" in and out of the car and just leave the carseat in all the time, taking baby in and out. I have a hard enough time getting the carseat in when my husband's moved the driver's seat all the way back.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    I got rid of my two door b/c it was so hard getting the baby in and out the car seat. I got a four door and never turned back.
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    My husband's car is a 2 door, sort of a sporty li'l car too. It is a pain, but if you really love your car (as my husband does) you'll make it work for you. You can always sell it later, or use the SUV instead. We mostly used my (4 door) car anyway. Now we're sort of down to only using DH's car with 2 kids in booster seats.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I still have my Stang...lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Sigi wrote: »
    My husband's car is a 2 door, sort of a sporty li'l car too. It is a pain, but if you really love your car (as my husband does) you'll make it work for you. You can always sell it later, or use the SUV instead. We mostly used my (4 door) car anyway. Now we're sort of down to only using DH's car with 2 kids in booster seats.
    Ohhh, but what will happen w/ numbah 3? :toothy7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    He's trading in the BMW for our minivan this fall. He hates to do it, but he doesn't want to finance so there's no choice. He says he'll just work that much harder so he can get another one. :)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had 2-door coupes with babies/toddlers before. It's harder to get them in and out, but you get used to it. Keep your car if you want to. You'll make it work.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My husband traded my 4-door for a 2-door when X was 4 months old. I took him out of the bucket at that point because I didn't want the hassle. It was a bit challenging when he was small but by the time he was a year, it was easy. Like RCW said, you make it work.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i have a small 4 door car and its a complete and total pain to load and unload baby. i cant imagine doing it with 2 less doors.
  • cymprenicympreni Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had both, and I consider both to be a pain. Stick with the car you love. It's been years since we got rid of our cutlass and we still regret it.
  • realisticrealistic Curl Novice Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've had 2-door coupes with babies/toddlers before. It's harder to get them in and out, but you get used to it. Keep your car if you want to. You'll make it work.

ITA

It's doable. I used to get Julian out of his seat while I was still up front before I got out. But if you have one of those baby carrier carseat things (baby buckets as RCW calls them) it sucks and if your baby is still positioned backwards its even worse. But I don't think it's such a PITA that its worth investing in a new car.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    We sold our 2-door Thunderbird 6 months before our son was born. Miss that car.

I'm sure it won't be as convenient, but it's doable.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I got rid of my two door b/c it was so hard getting the baby in and out the car seat. I got a four door and never turned back.

Me too.

I loved my car, and I really didn't want to spend the money on a new car, but it was such a PITA I caved and bought another car.

I'm not into cars at all though and the reason I loved my car was not because of the style, but because it was very reliable (Honda Civic) so I got a four door Honda Accord.

If the reason you love your car is because it's sporty or cute or cool then you can wait until after the baby to decide if it's worth the aggravation.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
    I swear my husband read this thread because he is off trying to trade my 2-door right now.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DA is that an announcement? :laughing7:
    0004.gif

No, no announcement. Xander is still my baby. :)

• velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I'm thinking about trading in my 4-door for a minivan, just because it's such a PITA to get baby in and out of the car. :lol:
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »

No, no announcement.

Ha! That's what they all say before the big announcement, WileE! ;)
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We have a honda civic and a trailblazer, yes it can be a PITA to get the bucket seat out of the civic (2 door) but it really wasnt't that bad, move the seat up, grab bucket. OR, put baby in back seat after you get in next to him/her.

yes, whoever had the baby typically took the SUV, but it is not that bad to have a 2 door.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • PT_CudaPT_Cuda Posts: 329Registered Users
    As a suggestion as a sub to an SUV a PT Cruiser. I know its a love or hate it car. But my best friend from LA always loved when we took my PT cause it was soooo easy to get car seats in the back. You have so much room to get yourself in there and get the baby seat secured properly. Its a car that is just that good for baby seats. I had to put the same baby seats in my old truck and the PT was a 1000x easier.

Though I would not recommend it if you have three kids or are planning three, the back seat is just too small..
    Just a suggestion.. :toothy7:
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    My husband's car is a 2 door, sort of a sporty li'l car too. It is a pain, but if you really love your car (as my husband does) you'll make it work for you.

ITA--My car is a 2 door and climbing into the back to put her in is second nature to me now. When it comes to getting her out, many times I just slides my seat all the way back, unbuckle my daughter (her seat is on the rear passenger side), pass her between the seats and we both exit the car through the driver's side door. She's 2 1/2 now.
  • sariroosariroo Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's settled. I finally made my husband see the light that we don't need a new car. I think he will be driving the baby around more as he will be the one taking it to daycare on his way to work on the days I'm working. He normally takes the SUV so he won't have to drive my old car (which I think was really his worry). I'm not really worried about it being a pain putting the kid in and out of the 2 door. We live in a rural area now and I just don't go as many places as often as I used to when we lived close to the city.

Hubby did buy a "babybucket" when he was at Target the other day (he bought baby items all by himself - I was working!). I don't plan on carrying the baby around in it though and will probably use a sling or mei tei or something so I think it will all work out. Thanks for all the input!
    316vq4y.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file