Early Transitioning Advice

Karua12Karua12 Posts: 155Registered Users
Hi, I'm 16 and my mom has been relaxing my hair since I was about 10, and now I'm just sick of the breakage and damage that comes about from "easier-to-deal-with" hair. The only problem is that my mom is against me going the transition route and thinks that it will "make me bald" and she thinks the only way I can get it back is to cut all my hair off. I'm really glad I found this site and it's making it easier, but it's hard to convince my mom that I'll take care of my hair when I don't even remember how my natural hair looks (all the pictures have been in braids) but I have about 1 in. of new growth. Does anyone have advice for what they did in this early period?

:icescream:The main reason I started even thinking that curly hair was beautiful was because of my boyfriend who seems to like it a lot more than my straight hair. (He didn't understand why my hair only poofed after a shower XD)
Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
Last Perm: March 23, 2008
BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

Comments

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    I'm transitioning too I'm in the 8th month and i haven't got bald.Try to check out some fotki and the transition of some ladies you'll find a lot of people which did a long transition without going bald. This can be used as evidence to show ur parents that natural hair is beautiful and you can go a long way without a relaxer without getting bald :)Good luck!And take good care of your hair lot's of DT , moisture,and of course TLC is needed!
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair never fell out. On the contrary, once I stopped relaxing my hair grew like crazy. You won't experience breakage if you take care of your hair. You might get some bad hair days for a while tho LOL I had plenty of those! :laughing7: You can check my Fotki to see my transitioning pictures.

I never had the courage to transition because I was always told my hair was going to fall out. I feel like there were so many years wasted when I could've been enjoying my natural hair. Just try to educate your mom by showing her the different websites out there. Good luck!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Karua12Karua12 Posts: 155Registered Users
    Thanks alot for the advice :3 I'll try when I get back home when school is done in June. Now I'm trying to figure out what type of hair I have... I pulled one strand and it looks like a pencil eraser could fit snugly in the coil. 3c maybe?
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    Karua12 wrote: »
    Thanks alot for the advice :3 I'll try when I get back home when school is done in June. Now I'm trying to figure out what type of hair I have... I pulled one strand and it looks like a pencil eraser could fit snugly in the coil. 3c maybe?

You can't really see the texture in this phase but if you post some pictures it will be more helpful it could be 4a or 3c...
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file