Baby poop question

KaiaKaia Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I think DS is constipated, but I have no clue as to why. Everything I'm reading tells me breastfed infants don't get constipated. I thought it might be good to give him some water, but according to kellymom.com that can be harmful to an exclusively BFed baby, so I'm at a loss what to do. I'm not eating anything different that I can think of, and I'm drinking lots of water.

So here's what happened. Warning: description of poop ahead. ;) About a week and a half ago, he suddenly went from pooping 2-3 times a day to only going once every 2-3 DAYS. His poops aren't any bigger, but they are different. Not hard, but definitely less runny and darker. And OMG do they stink! His diapers have never bothered me before, but now it's like something died in there! I feel like I'm gasping for air when changing diapers or he gets gassy. It's awful! I really think it's constipation, but I don't know why. Should I take him to the doctor? He's not bothered by any of this, and I feel silly calling the ped b/c my baby's diapers are suddenly stinky.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Curl Novice Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm assuming since he's so little, you haven't given him any solids yet, right? Poor little guy! No advice, but I hope it all works out in the end. (sorry, had to do it!)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No solids, no formula, no vitamins of any kind. Only breastmilk. I have no idea what I've changed.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Curl Novice Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I seem to remember my sis-in-law's kids all being infrequent poopers at around that age. Her pediatrician said that as long as they were pooping once a week(!), then they were okay.

Does he seem to be bothered by it (in pain, hard tummy)?
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    I don't think it's bothering him. He seems a bit crankier than usual lately, but that could be teething as well.

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Maybe you could dilute some juice with water and give him that to get things moving.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Curl Connoisseur Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Their systems start to mature around that time, if I remember correctly. I remember Harry used to poop every day and it then started spacing out and changing color (from mustardy to darker) and getting stinkier. Even now that he has some solids, it's usually every couple of days at most. Constipation is more about consistency of the poop and difficulty pooping than it is about frequency of poop. (Constipated poop is little hard pellets, I think.)

However, it can't hurt to have him checked, if you are worried. Better to have him checked and be told nothing is wrong, KWIM?

That is the most times I have ever typed "poop" in one post.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    it is normal (and the norm) for breastfed babies to go from pooping several times daily to once a day or even once a week. i have been told this starts at around 6 weeks or so. lydia poops once every few days. the volume seems the same. my friend's baby, born around the same time, is on more like a once a week schedule.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

But why does it stink so bad? It's worse than the dog's! I thought one of the benefits of delaying solids was the nice BF poop... :laughing7:

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    Their systems start to mature around that time, if I remember correctly. I remember Harry used to poop every day and it then started spacing out and changing color (from mustardy to darker) and getting stinkier. Even now that he has some solids, it's usually every couple of days at most. Constipation is more about consistency of the poop and difficulty pooping than it is about frequency of poop. (Constipated poop is little hard pellets, I think.)
    same thing happened to majerle around that time (before she started solids). the good thing was that our pediatrician gave us the heads up so i wasnt worried when it happened. and like nynaeve said, as long as they make one poop a week, they should be good.
    majerle went from mustard yellow odorless poo at every diaper change to stinky grown man turds a few times a day. oh how i miss the non smelly mustard mush...
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Lucas had really stinky gas and poop for a few days, but then it went away. He doesn't poop every day either, he only goes once every couple of days. I would say that as long as his tummy doesn't feel hard and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, everything is probably ok.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If his tummy is not bothering him, and he's not struggling or straining to go, then he's not constipated. Sounds normal to me. It's perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to poop anything from several times a day, to only once a week. (Those once-a-weekers can be explosive though.)

Hate to break it to you, but poop stinks. It gets worse as they get older.
    Hate to break it to you, but poop stinks. It gets worse as they get older.

Well poo, that sucks! I was really liking the newborn poops. It's good to know that it isn't me making bad milk or something like that.

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    He's fine...just keep BF'ing him whenever he wants. His body is just absorbing all the good stuff from your milk and not getting rid of much waste.

I know when DS hadn't pooped for a few days, I always braced and prepared myself for an explosive disaster.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Lucy was, actually still is a regular once a day pooper, but she went a week without pooping when she was about 6 months or so and I was all stressed out.

I thought she was constipated, but later when she was about 11 months old she really was constipated and it was totally different. I could see she was straining and then she would start to cry. She was so uncomfortable and her poop was like little hard pellets.

I gave her a few bottles of half prune juice/half water and I fed her apricots - HOLY EXPLOSION! It solved the problem though.

As long as the baby doens't seem uncomfortable I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could always try a little diluted apple juice and see if that does anything. Just a few ounces shouldn't hurt.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
    I think I'll just let it be since the general concensus is that he's fine. I was just freaked out because I thought BFed poop should stay a certain way. I didn't think about his digestive tract maturing. I'll just deal with him being stinky.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file