Need more potty training help :(

DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl NeophytePosts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I think potty training is all that I post about these days. My child is tormenting me. He is fully potty trained at his sitter's home. He takes himself to the potty with no intervention from her. He has had one accident this calendar year at her house. ONE!!! Yet at my house, he won't go to the potty.

I don't know what we are doing wrong. I let him stay in his undies and he pees on the floor. I let him wear his plastic undies or his pullups and he pees in them and pulls them off. The worst is when he poops in them and pulls them off and leaves a poop trail through the house. I even told him that he couldn't wear underwear or diapers (pullups) because he was being a baby and babies don't get to wear those. Shame didn't work. He just pooped in his closet. Yup, he showed me.

Today, we got home and he peed on one of my dining room chairs and the floor. I was so frustrated that I put him in time out for the first time ever for potty issues. I don't want to punish him but I am running out of ideas here. I know he can do it as he demonstrates at his sitter's home. Why won't he do it here? What the heck am I doing wrong? :(

Help!

Edit: I also tried bribery with candy.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    He just peed on his chair. He took off his pull up and peed. Jesse made him apologize to his chair and put him in time out.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, it's like once they get home it's a free for all.
    It's hard not to get into that power struggle, but it only makes it worse.
    I had to learn to back off as hard as it was.
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I think you have to back off. Clearly this is bugging you and he knows it and this is why he is doing it. Keep him in diapers or pullups. If he takes them off or otherwise makes a mess, have him help you clean it up, consistently every time. But no time outs or other punishments, and try to keep your cool.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Thanks, Geeky and WileE. I have tried ignoring him but I think it was still apparent that I was annoyed. I will try again and back off as much as possible.

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    It's hard but wiley and geeky gave you the best advice. Pooping/peeing and eating are two things that a child knows he can control, as it should be. I'd just put him in diapers while at home. Let him do the potty thing at the sitter's and one day he'll want to do the same at home.
    It's hard but wiley and geeky gave you the best advice. Pooping/peeing and eating are two things that a child knows he can control, as it should be. I'd just put him in diapers while at home. Let him do the potty thing at the sitter's and one day he'll want to do the same at home.

You told me that months ago. I still can't seem to just let things be.

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    You're a mom - that's pretty hard to do. I know even though Ian did the late PTing that seemed to be swift and sudden, we still had a couple of issues that were causing me quite a few headaches.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users

I totally agree. It seemed like when the pediatrician told us to lay off, it worked. It was like as soon as we didn't belabor the issue, Kennedy never had another accident. She wanted to be in control of WHEN AND WHERE it happened. When we tried to be in control, she exerted her control and made our lives crazy!

Hang in there!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I think potty training is all that I post about these days. My child is tormenting me. He is fully potty trained at his sitter's home. He takes himself to the potty with no intervention from her. He has had one accident this calendar year at her house. ONE!!! Yet at my house, he won't go to the potty.

I don't know what we are doing wrong. I let him stay in his undies and he pees on the floor. I let him wear his plastic undies or his pullups and he pees in them and pulls them off. The worst is when he poops in them and pulls them off and leaves a poop trail through the house. I even told him that he couldn't wear underwear or diapers (pullups) because he was being a baby and babies don't get to wear those. Shame didn't work. He just pooped in his closet. Yup, he showed me.

Today, we got home and he peed on one of my dining room chairs and the floor. I was so frustrated that I put him in time out for the first time ever for potty issues. I don't want to punish him but I am running out of ideas here. I know he can do it as he demonstrates at his sitter's home. Why won't he do it here? What the heck am I doing wrong? :(

Help!

I wouldn't punish him, but I wouldn't let him have free reign to poop and pee wherever he wants either. I'd tell him "You use the potty at the sitter's house, but you won't use it at home, so mommy has to put you in diapers when you're at home. Come tell me if you have to use the potty and I'll help you, but do not take that diaper off without permission." And then I'd stick to it, using duct tape to keep the diaper on if I had to. I can't abide poop and pee all over.
    The thought of taping him in makes me giggle. I think I shall try it tonight!

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »

Help!

I wouldn't punish him, but I wouldn't let him have free reign to poop and pee wherever he wants either. I'd tell him "You use the potty at the sitter's house, but you won't use it at home, so mommy has to put you in diapers when you're at home. Come tell me if you have to use the potty and I'll help you, but do not take that diaper off without permission." And then I'd stick to it, using duct tape to keep the diaper on if I had to. I can't abide poop and pee all over.

oh god, I just knew it was RCW who suggested the duct tape, when I read your last post. :lol:

I'll never forget when RCW posted on your last pt thread, "there will be no pooping in my house!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file