CurlTalk

Best Curl Compliments

A while ago, someone posted a message asking about the insults that us curlies have gotten over the years (I certainly have had a few in my life).

This got me thinking: What about the best compliments that people got about their curly hair?

I remember when I was little, the janitor at my school used to call me Goldilocks because of my blonde curly hair (I know that's not necessarily a compliment, it's more of a nickname, but he never ever ever gave anyone else a nickname). Whenever he called me that, I felt really special and unique.

So, what I would like to know is what is the best compliment that you have had about your hair?
3a/b hair...?

Yeah, I hate Bee's, OK?
:wink:

They're like...flying DEATH MONKEYS

Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnuttybutter%2F" class="Popup

pw: thedoctor

Strange women lying in ponds distrubuting swords is no basis for a system of government!

Comments

• NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Hmmmm......definately would be curlies from NC.com pm'ing me saying they like my curly hair.....makes my day!:blob7::blob7::blob7::blob7:
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 735Registered Users
    when you guys (and other curlies) compliment me!! (its just not the same coming from a straighty... i'll take em all though!)

oh and when a stranger stops you and tells you "you have great hair"

oh and when people ask if its natural (i take that as a compliment because it must mean my hair looks so good it must be fake!)
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmisfitcurls%2F" class="Popup
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Posts: 236Registered Users
    A couple of weeks ago, a technician at the hospital told me I "looked like a Renaissance painting". It made my whole month!!!
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • Mass1gBewegtMass1gBewegt Posts: 113Registered Users
    One of my closest friends told me "I love your hair, did you get a perm? No?! Never straighten it again!!!"

Ever since then, whenever I get a compliment, I get this horrible smirk, and when they ask me why I've got a weird face on I say it's cause I'm thinking "what, this mess?!"
    Band Geek to the Core.
    Geometry Ain't My Thing. XD

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMagicMarkers92%2F" class="Popup
    Pass: Qtip
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Thus far, the best compliments are when someone asks if I've gotten a perm or they tell me not to straighten again.

I am still waiting for the best compliment though: when a stranger (who never saw me as a straightie) says something nice about my hair. Still waiting . . .:blob7:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    Today I was in the salon for my monthly color and trim. Another stylist (not mine) walked by the chair, paused and asked "is that natural curl?". I said "yes". She responded "it's just perfect". And this was before it was colored and styled. I'll tell you, it made my day!
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
  • ashlenneashlenne Posts: 13Registered Users
    Oh boy. I've gotten a lot of compliments. It makes me feel so good.

I get asked "is that natural?" all the time. I love their faces when I say, "yes sir/ma'am, it is!"

I think the best one (from a complete stranger) was "WOW! YOUR HAIR IS AMAZING!!!!"

I often get "your hair is really cool", "your hair is really pretty" or "your hair is beautiful". Along with "your eyes are gorgeous". I love it when I get a two-in-one like that! It's awesome. haha.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Today I was in Sephora, buying lip gloss (not hair product!) and a salesperson walked by me, did a double-take and said, "What cute hair!"

I think I giggled.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    What a refreshing change of thread -- we all send too much time lamenting! It IS nice to get compliments, especially when you know you are having a good hair day. I get the usual comments of people envying the curls (grass is always greener types). Lots of people want to touch it.

My tie for best compliment:
    1. When I was in my early twenties (curls past my waist) I used to go to a salon for trims. But I always insisted on doing the styling myself (for obvious reasons). One day the salon owner asked if he could have the stylists watch while I did the whole product application/scrunch/diffuse etc. ALl the while he raved about my hair:)

2. Also in my 20's, working in NYC, there was a guy who I saw every morning in the elevator. He always looked but never made more than small talk. SOmehow he found out what company I worked for and called the main board looking for me. He didn't know my name, so he asked for "the girl who looks like Gd himself gave her a perm":)

Oh Wait!! The BEST of all -- when my now 12 year old son was 2, and I blew my hair straight for a wedding and he cried and cried begging "mommy, let yer curlies out!!":):):)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    My best compliment was actually shortly before I realized I was curly and went CG cold turkey..

I always blowfried and combed, thinking my hair was just supposed to be kind of frizzy.

One Sunday morning (I hadn't had time to boil all the water out of my hair so it was frizzing a little yet doing its own thing) this cute little old lady sitting behind me in church told me, "Your hair looks like spun gold!"

When I got home and looked in the mirror, I didn't particularly like what I saw, but it was probably the beginning of what eventually inspired me to figure out this thing we call naturally curly hair.

I wish I knew who she was so I could thank her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • ringletmama2ringletmama2 Posts: 321Registered Users
    The best compliments, for me, come from strangers. I just feel like they must be sincere because someone that doesn't know you doesn't need to say anything to you let alone compliment your hair.

I also like it when my little girls comment about my hair. Their hair is curly too and I'm hoping they have more of a positive attitude towards the curls than I did when I was growing up.
    3B: very thick, fine, easily weighed down by products

Current styling products:
    Biolage Gelee or BRHG on top of
    KCKT as a leave in or CK when humid
    or just Joiwhip alone for moderate weather conditions
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
    I was at Disneyland on the Splash Mountain ride and there was a couple sitting behind me. The lady said, "I'm a hairstylist and I just want to tell you that is the most beautiful perm I've ever seen!" She was pretty surprised to find out that it was natural. :tongue5:

The ladies at my hair salon and nail place rave about how they wish that they had my curls.
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    My favorite one recently was a chick telling me she wished her hair looked like mine. She went on to say that her hair was naturally curly but that she straightened it. So I told her about nc.com! :)
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feponaaran%2Fsets%2F72157610671796089%2F" class="Popup
  • curly52curly52 Posts: 350Registered Users
    once a woman came up to me and asked if my hair was natural. she then asked me to come into the salon down the road with her because she wanted to get her hair permed and she wanted it exactly like mine:toothy7:
    uk curly - 3a :toothy7:
    Not to Guano but....Now that we've all got a neck sprain from patting ourselves on the back;) How about this variation on the theme....

I have had days when people have complimented/raved/drooled over my hair when I KNEW I was having a VERY BAD hair day (poof/frizz/whatEVER). All I could feel was downright embarrasment at them thinking THAT was my hair (well, it is, but you get the product-laden drift) and usually I make some kind of self-depreciating remark that reeks of self-conciousness.

Am I alone in this?:sad8:
    My Photobucket Album
  • CurlyBratCurlyBrat Posts: 445Registered Users
    I didn't think it was a compliment at the time, but I'd have to agree that the best ones are the PERM comments. Now that I've realized they just meant my hair looked uniformly curly and nice, not frizzed and burnt!

Yesterday I ran into a friend at Wal Mart (hey.. I wanted a spare can of mousse... sue me!) and she's an amazing 3b curly who straightens about half the time. She looks at me and says... "did you PERM your hair?" I said.."Nope, I just quit straightening it about 6 weeks ago." She replied, "I had no idea it was THAT curly!! It looks so great!"

My inner child turned backflips... I love it!!

(Secretly I'm hoping to turn her into a FORMER straightener... lol She is my CURL IDOL!)
    3a/b thin/fine
    fotki PW: curls
    updated 5/1/2010 "starting over"

Routine:
    don't even HAVE a "routine" at the moment...
    HG: still GVP Conditioning Balm and Biotera Gel/CC
    Experimentals: HE TMS Spray Gel, LOOB

Riot Crrl: "Revenge is a dish best served with a side of awesome hair."

• sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    I love it when complete strangers compliment my hair. There have been a couple of strangers who I thought would never shut up about my curls though... lol. They went on and on, but it did make my curl ego feel good ;)
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • bsantos74@hotmail.combsantos74@hotmail.com Posts: 9Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    What a refreshing change of thread -- we all send too much time lamenting! It IS nice to get compliments, especially when you know you are having a good hair day. I get the usual comments of people envying the curls (grass is always greener types). Lots of people want to touch it.

My tie for best compliment:
    1. When I was in my early twenties (curls past my waist) I used to go to a salon for trims. But I always insisted on doing the styling myself (for obvious reasons). One day the salon owner asked if he could have the stylists watch while I did the whole product application/scrunch/diffuse etc. ALl the while he raved about my hair:)

2. Also in my 20's, working in NYC, there was a guy who I saw every morning in the elevator. He always looked but never made more than small talk. SOmehow he found out what company I worked for and called the main board looking for me. He didn't know my name, so he asked for "the girl who looks like Gd himself gave her a perm":)

Oh Wait!! The BEST of all -- when my now 12 year old son was 2, and I blew my hair straight for a wedding and he cried and cried begging "mommy, let yer curlies out!!":):):)

LOL...That is so cute :angel8:.

My 3 year old daughter, when she was smaller, used to cry and refuse flat out to come near me if my hair was straight. She still plays with my hair and if her father touches it she says nooooo wayyyyyy. :laughing7:

You made my day with that. Thanks :icescream:
    CurlyStorm
    Hair: 3A/3B

Gentle poo once a week,Suave Natural Coconut Cond, Shea Moisture Leave-in, Re:Coil...

:angel5::sunny::laughing8:

age.png
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Today I was in Sephora, buying lip gloss (not hair product!) and a salesperson walked by me, did a double-take and said, "What cute hair!"

I think I giggled.

You didn't buy a hair product?!? Someone revoke this woman's PJ card!!

Wait.... did you at least LOOK at the hair products?
    3a/b thin/fine

Routine:

• QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    Well, I've had quite a few here on this board and on my fotki!

I think the best one, was today when I found out that I'm actually someone's hair idol. What?! OMGyay!

And one time in high school, this boy told me he liked my weave. At the time, I was really insulted that he thought that it wasn't my real hair. I've never even had a weave, so it just blew my mind. Looking back, that is a HUGE compliment! That meant my hair was looking so darned good that he thought it couldn't be real! Wow!

By the way, thank you for starting this thread. I needed it today. You guys are great!!!
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQuirkyYogini%2F" class="Popup

Have some compassion Curlybrat, didn't you hear? Jillipoo was banned from the Hair Aisle.... It was a full on intervention.:wink:
    My Photobucket Album
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    Not to Guano but....Now that we've all got a neck sprain from patting ourselves on the back;) How about this variation on the theme....

I have had days when people have complimented/raved/drooled over my hair when I KNEW I was having a VERY BAD hair day (poof/frizz/whatEVER). All I could feel was downright embarrasment at them thinking THAT was my hair (well, it is, but you get the product-laden drift) and usually I make some kind of self-depreciating remark that reeks of self-conciousness.

Am I alone in this?:sad8:

Yeah, it seems like I get a ton of compliments on my hair on days that I think I'm having bad hair days. lol oh well, at least it brightens those days up a bit. :)
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feponaaran%2Fsets%2F72157610671796089%2F" class="Popup
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    rudeechick said: He didn't know my name, so he asked for "the girl who looks like Gd himself gave her a perm."

I LOVE that!!

I'm always, always, having people ask if my curls are natural. I think I get more compliments on the length than the curl though. The best ones come from strangers and children... I think because I know they're sincere and not just trying to make me feel good. Generally the comments I get are "You have amazing hair" or "I wish my hair looked like yours."

Probably the best compliment I've ever had was when someone told me it was highly unusual to have this long of hair and still have great curls. But the most memorable ones were times like when a guy friend told me that my hair was even more beautiful with the moon shining on it. I could go on and on.....

I do get the odd compliment on what I think are really bad hair days. It makes me realize that I'm too self-conscious and other people see me differently than I see myself.
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    I usually get most compliments when I think my hair looks it's worst. I think the wild look works for me.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2Fauburnsunset%2F" class="Popup

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
    ...snip... "the girl who looks like Gd himself gave her a perm":)...snip...

When I was little and people used to ask me where I got my pretty curls from, that's exactly who my parents taught me to say!!
    3a/b thin/fine

Routine:

• memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    Hairdressers always tell me that most people would kill for one of my bad hair days.....it just goes to show that we don't really see ourselves the way others do. I also think that being involved with a curly community like this can change our ideas of what looks good and what we aspire to may be very different than what others think looks good in general. It's pretty easy to get obsessed with frizz when, really, I see lots of people with beautiful curly hair and I don't even notice a little frizz.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    My best friend has been out of the country for the last 3 months and she's only seen my hair straight or pulled back. She told me that my curls look "flirty." :)
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    A man (in a non-skeezy way - I was friends with him and his wife) almost always saw me with my hair up due to work. One day, he saw it down and told me that I had Pre-Raphaelite hair. I thought that was cool.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    A man (in a non-skeezy way - I was friends with him and his wife) almost always saw me with my hair up due to work. One day, he saw it down and told me that I had Pre-Raphaelite hair. I thought that was cool.

Not only is that an excellent compliment -- it's completely true! You *do* have Pre-Raphaelite hair!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    My favorites are when curlies I meet ask me for tips on how to take care of and style their hair. :wink: It makes me really happy to be able to spread all the tips and tricks and information I've learned...like sowing the seeds of great hair trees so that there'll be frizz free ringlets for years to come. :toothy7:
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Ftheevolutionofcurl%2F" class="Popup