Running Shoes

criscatcriscat Posts: 355Registered Users
Curly runners, post here about your running shoe issues, so we don't spam the exercise accountability thread.
And sorry, I was the one going off-topic there IFP :)

Comments

• criscatcriscat Posts: 355Registered Users
    Asics Nimbus VI

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-GEL-Nimbus-VI/dp/B0002ANMRG

Well, I like this shoe, I can't say I love it, although many ppl do.

It is probably the most common shoe for underpronators, and does a great job in cushioning and support, and definitely works great in medium-long distances.

It is a very soft shoe, I would prefer a more firm shoe if a similar one was available.

Overall I'm very satisfied.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    xl316644141.jpg
    I have this Nike Max Moto +5, and I love it...:blob7:very very comfy.
    Just a side note...I had never heard the term underpronate until I posted here. I have always used the term I learned way back in anatomy class-- "supinate".
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    Echokitten, me too, I only learned this term when looking for running shoes...

What kind of foot are you?
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I am a natural supinator. I have a naturally supinating foot because I have extra high arches, according to my doc. My arch is so high that only the outside edge of my foot actually hits the ground. Which is great because I will probably never have fallen arches or flat feet ever. Unfortunately it sucks because they don't make shoes very comfortable and eventually I end up with a numb big toe because the upper vamp is so tight. But I highly rec those Nike's if you can get them. Wider toe box for those of us with wide toes, all mesh for good air flow, super soft ball of foot cushioning for distance...I could go on and on...:wink:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    Oh great, tks!

I am just reading an interesting article about foot types and shoes. I'm trying to work on my supination steps, which are caused because some posterior leg muscles are shortened, causing the high arch and then the supination. Also, that is why I seem to be jumping when running (hate this). Do you experience this same jumpy thing?

I'll try these shoes at the store soon.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like asics, I can't wear anything else. I always make sure and get the ones with gel in the soles. Asics seems to have really good arch supports and fits my long and narrow foot.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I have these Saucony's (Omni 6). I have NEVER had a pair of Saucony's that I didn't love. I have tried Asics...but they don't work as well for me. I supinate and then underpronate...read, I supinate, but my feet are flat after having had 2 children and I roll to the inside...

633262572895189513WProGridOmni6Ultimate_Teal.jpg
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • greengirlgreengirl Posts: 37Registered Users
    Generally I can only buy New Balance, because I have AAA heels. I actually have most of my shoes made or adjusted by a cobbler. Right now I have the New Balance Women's 1061. I have arthritis due to a genetic mutation in the type 1 and 3 collagen genes, and very rarely find trainers I can wear. I also have completely flat feet. I don't run, just walk, but I love them!
    Yummy 3b w/some 3a & 3c here and there!

Giovanni 50/50 Shampoo (2x a month), Giovanni 50/50 Conditioner (only after a poo), Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (for co-washes), Aubrey Organics Island Naturals, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Biotera Gel, Biolage Gel
    I was told by an expert that you should really have at least 2 pairs: one for cushioning and a lighter one for competitions and grass. And that it was a good thing to alternate different shoes so you get used to different demands. Plus, the cushioning shoes are heavier.

So, I started alternating with a Nike Air Max 180 that I have but never used. It has better cushioning than the Nimbus, and overall a good shoe. I have to put some millage on it to give a better opinion, but the alternating shoe idea made sense so I'm trying it.
  • Mass1gBewegtMass1gBewegt Posts: 113Registered Users
    Guys: I'm in the market for new shoes. When I was on the tennis team I ran in my tennis shoes during practice, and during marching season I march in my converse and run in those at practice. Not the smartest thing, but you can't get any better than converse if you want the director to see your toes up. *sigh*

ANYWAY. Since it's not marching season, and I havent been on the tennis team in ages, I'm starting out running again. I'm in the market for new shoes... and I have no idea what you're taling about. Supinate and Underpronate and such.

I have long narrow feet, and any shoe I've ever had that had arch support used to KILL my feet. My arches would be screaming after a half hour wandering wround the store. My brother has flat feet, but I don't. I love shoes with cushioning, but I don't know what'd be best for my type of feet, or even what type of feet I have.

I run roads, usually, sometimes on the wood trails behind my house.
    Band Geek to the Core.
    Geometry Ain't My Thing. XD

http://public.fotki.com/MagicMarkers92/
    Pass: Qtip
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just ordered a pair of Rykis. They got very good reviews on Shoebuy. Anyone heard of them?
    Guys: I'm in the market for new shoes. When I was on the tennis team I ran in my tennis shoes during practice, and during marching season I march in my converse and run in those at practice. Not the smartest thing, but you can't get any better than converse if you want the director to see your toes up. *sigh*

ANYWAY. Since it's not marching season, and I havent been on the tennis team in ages, I'm starting out running again. I'm in the market for new shoes... and I have no idea what you're taling about. Supinate and Underpronate and such.

I have long narrow feet, and any shoe I've ever had that had arch support used to KILL my feet. My arches would be screaming after a half hour wandering wround the store. My brother has flat feet, but I don't. I love shoes with cushioning, but I don't know what'd be best for my type of feet, or even what type of feet I have.

I run roads, usually, sometimes on the wood trails behind my house.

Ok so, first you need to discover what type of feet you have, this is crucial. Usually, if you have a high arch you tend to supinate (or underpronate), which means you run mostly on the outer part of feet. Normal feet have normal arches, and pronators generally have flat feet, so they run with the inner part more.

You can discover several ways, for example, examining the sole of a walking shoe you have, and see where it is more worn off. Or, ask someone who is a runner to observe you running.

If you have a Fleet Feet near you, it is a good idea to go there and they will fit you
    http://www.fleetfeetstl.com/shopping/fitlosophy.htm

Some shops have a special machine to determine your feet type.

Once you discover your feet type, you go to the store and try different shoes for your type, making sure you run around a little to test them out.
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ditto! You need to go to a running store and be fitted. I bought nike's off the rack when I started running and my arches fell. Fleet Feet immediately put me in a pair of Saucony's--wide toe box and excellent support. I've probably bought over 6 pairs since then.
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another vote for Saucony. I have the Omni 5. Love 'em!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    Asics Gel Kahana 2 for training, and I still have to get some new spikes for racing! I love my shoes, but I still have to use inserts because of my flat feet. Dr, Scholl's work fine.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • RogueX10RogueX10 Posts: 8Registered Users
    If you run for fun or are planning to run your ??-teenth marathon, www.RunnersWorld.com is the BEST site (and magazine) for runners that I have ever encountered. There is a tool on the web site that will help you choose the right running shoe for you. There is also a women's section where, among many helpful articles and product reviews, there is a tool for determining your proper sports bra size (also gives you recommendations on ones to buy). Site also has seasonal running shoe reviews and MUCH MUCH MORE!!! I subscribed to the magazine for two years and learned lots of things about running and such that are very helpful. See also: Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott

P.S.~ This site also gives us running dummies definitions of what "pronate," "supinate," and all that other runner's jargon means.

P.P.S~ You can also keep track of your workouts via their online Training Log! Did I mention how AWESOME this site is?
  • RogueX10RogueX10 Posts: 8Registered Users
    ASICS GEL - Trabuco VIII are my favorite. They fit my arches like a glove. Got them at Gary Gribble's running store.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file