Babysitter for the 1st Time

deedlesdeedles Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Saturday, DH and I are going out on a "date"... probably just to a movie but still we are leaving Liam with a sitter for the 1st time...

She's a young lady that works at the local deli down the street and I have good references on her..

anyway.. any tips for leaving them with a sitter for the first time.. something tells me he may freak a bit!!!
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• deedlesdeedles Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    anyone??
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, if he's never been left before, and he's over 6-8 months old, he's probably going to pitch a snit. Perhaps you could have the sitter come over the day before and just play with him for an hour with you there. That way he'll know her the next day.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Curl Novice Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was lucky that I got to leave my daughter with my sis-in-law, who she knew, but she was still upset when I left. My advice is to give your son a big hug and kiss and get the heck out quickly. He'll probably be upset for the first few minutes, then get distracted. I'm assuming the sitter is coming to your home, right? Just make sure she's got a toy or book he likes handy to help place his attention elsewhere.

The first time is so nervewracking, but he'll be okay and it does get easier.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I left multiple slings. Baby's always happy when being carried.
    hello.world.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    My advice is to give your son a big hug and kiss and get the heck out quickly. He'll probably be upset for the first few minutes, then get distracted.

I wouldn't even make a deal out of saying goodbye. Just go! The more you make it a big deal...the more difficult it might be for him.

When I first left DS at daycare..he was fine for the first couple of hours and then he figured out I wasn't there. For that first bit, I would just leave him and not make a big deal about saying goodbye.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    He goes to daycare right? No difference. I know with DH (although we have never left him with a sitter yet) at daycare we drop off during breakfast so he has something to distract him and he does not see usleave
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The best advice that I can give you is to make sure to have the sitter come some time beforehand so that Liam will have met her. I actually have a new sitter in my house right now. She and Xander are getting acquainted with his toys. Other than that, I make sure to leave detailed instructions regarding his routine and his quirks. Other than that, don't worry too much if he cries as you are leaving. He will most likely get over it pretty quickly.

Good luck!
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Deedles, How did it go??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file