Why does my curly hair look wet all day?

Hi everyone!

I am VERY newly curly, and am completely lost, lol! My hair has always been long and straightish (except when I was very little and I had Shirley Temple curls). I was thinking back to the curls I used to have, and decided to try the CG method just to see what would happen. I was IMMEDIATELY a 2b! I'm hoping for 3c potential, but we'll see!

Anyway, even when my hair is dry, it looks wet. Last night I wet it (no conditioner), applied a dime of gel and scrunched, then slept in a "plop". Today my curl looks great, but wet. It has looked wet since I started. Am I using too much of something, or is my hair still trying to adjust (I just went poo-less last week). I am having to fight the urge to brush to make it look softer!

Thanks!
Christi

pre-CG
101_0807-vi.jpg

today, still looking wet
101_0978-vi.jpg

Comments

• nuckingfutznuckingfutz Posts: 51Registered Users
    You need to scrunch out the crunch.

Literally, just gently scrunch your curls after they've dried, and the wet look will go away.

And don't worry if you feel a little silly because you didn't know that... I just found that out a couple of weeks ago, and I've been using gel since I was like.... 11? I'm 32 now. :lol:
    American living in the UK going on 5 years now.

Currently trying out:
    • Boots Essentials Classic Care Conditioner
    • Boots Essentials Curl Cream
    • Shockwaves Ultra Hold Gel
    • Dark & Lovely Ultra Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment (as a DT)
    My fotki album.

Convo with my husband:
    Him: I'm cold. Turn on the heat.
    Me: You turn on the heat. You're already up.
    Him: You turn on the heat! What do I look like, some heat-er... turn-er... on-er... guy?
    :laughing7:
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    i'mcurly? wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am VERY newly curly, and am completely lost, lol! My hair has always been long and straightish (except when I was very little and I had Shirley Temple curls). I was thinking back to the curls I used to have, and decided to try the CG method just to see what would happen. I was IMMEDIATELY a 2b! I'm hoping for 3c potential, but we'll see!

Anyway, even when my hair is dry, it looks wet. Last night I wet it (no conditioner), applied a dime of gel and scrunched, then slept in a "plop". Today my curl looks great, but wet. It has looked wet since I started. Am I using too much of something, or is my hair still trying to adjust (I just went poo-less last week). I am having to fight the urge to brush to make it look softer!

Thanks!
    Christi

First of all...........step away from the brush.

Have you tried ACV (Apple Cidar Vinegar) mix a couple of teaspoons into a cup or more water, rinse it out after you co-wash, (don't worry the smell won't stay). Then do the condition or leave-in. Good Luck and don't forget we love pictures!:blob7:
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would say its probably the gel- it doesn't sound like you are putting a lot in but I know my hair has that wet look from gel until I have scrunched out the crunch. It can take a while to find a gel or creme combo that works for you (Im still looking) the stuff Im using at the moment doesn't scrunch out easily and I end up playing with it all day to get rid of the hardness, and I only used a pea-sized amount diluted with some water! I would try the acv rinse too. Im sure part of it is probably your hair adjusting but please don't brush you lovely waves out!
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    Gel on wet hair just doesn't work for me very well. Even after I scrunch out the crunch I still look wet for some reason. I have found that I get better results with a curl cream scrunched into wet hair. Then once my hair dries, I use a tiny bit of gel to seal down any frizzies the cream didn't control.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Hi, I'm kinda new to the site, but not to curls. If your hair feels crunchy or crispy AND looks wet, it's likely your gel. Maybe try a diff one - or a curl creme or Mousse.

Congrats on your new found wave! Some curlies find that a cut or trim helps those waves turn to curls.

Good luck!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • tlentz04tlentz04 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the same issue. New to CG as well. It's only been about a week, but I have been only washing my hair every 3-4 days for several years. I dont use gel at all right now, but my hair still feels wet. It's soft to the touch, but still looks wet. I didn't like the gel, and switched to a cream, but am still having the issue. I just clarified yesterday, did a deep condition, added a leave in, and a cream. Does the wet look stop after a bit?
  • stokes874512stokes874512 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Since it is so dry, of course, condition it really well. Aveda “Dry Remedy” products include several options including oil that conditions without leaving a wet-looking sheen. You could possibly cut your hair or layer it a bit. Old fashioned setting overnight with foam curlers or loose braids it a combination of both can create long-lasting curls without damage. Glad you have thick hair going for you! See: https://time4buying.com/best-hair-toners

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file