First trip to the dentist?

VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
When did you all (or when do you plan to) take your child to the dentist for the first time? My son is almost 2 1/2 and hubby and I were just talking about it this morning.

Also - hubby and I have went to the same dentist for years, but he is old and tends to be a little rough so he might scare a child. (We keep going to him because his prices are unbelievably cheap and he really does a good job.- We have dental insurance but it is crappy insurance that doesn't cover that much.)

I am not sure if we should look for a dentist that mainly treats children or if any family practice dentist will work.

How did you other moms approach this?
2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kade went to the dentist for the first time around 2 1/2-3 or so. He went to a pediatric dentist that specializes in special needs kids. But I don't like her. She was really nice until he got a cavity, then she showed her ugly side. Long story short, she made my top 10 list of the most insensitive people I've ever met, and IMO she shouldn't have a licence. He's actually overdue for a cleaning, but I haven't found a replacement that I like yet.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Vaneda wrote: »
    When did you all (or when do you plan to) take your child to the dentist for the first time? My son is almost 2 1/2 and hubby and I were just talking about it this morning.

Also - hubby and I have went to the same dentist for years, but he is old and tends to be a little rough so he might scare a child. (We keep going to him because his prices are unbelievably cheap and he really does a good job.- We have dental insurance but it is crappy insurance that doesn't cover that much.)

I am not sure if we should look for a dentist that mainly treats children or if any family practice dentist will work.

How did you other moms approach this?

i found a general dentist who offered to treat our children when i explained that it was important that my husband and i be able to come back with our kids whenever we wanted to. to my surprise, many pediatric dentists have policies against parents accompanying their kids back to the exam rooms. that didn't go over well for our son who didn't like the idea of anyone in his mouth, even for a simple cleaning.

our daughter has always hated loud noises. so even the noise that the so-called fun "mr. thirsty" automatic suction straw gives makes her anxious. their new dentist allows her to wear headphones so that the music can drown out the noisiness of the toothbrush and suction tube.

the old dentist was unyielding on letting us go back beyond the initial visit. and when i asked why he was so against it, he told me that the only way i could go back was if i scheduled a special saturday appt. and paid extra for the visit. :glasses9: so we found a new dentist. it took some searching too. i think the fact that their new dentist is a woman is a factor in them being more comfortable with her because she has a more soothing, motherly tone when she speaks to them and will use whatever means to get them comfortable, as she recognizes that no two children are the same. the other guy was more clinical and stoic in his demeanor, which to me, worked against him being a pediatric dentist. :thumbdown:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I don't have kids but I do have some advice. Find someone VERY nice who has a lot of experience with kids. I had a HORRIBLE first visit that pretty much traumatized me for life. I get panic attacks about going to the dentist and haven't been since my mom stopped fighting with me to go. You may think they are too young to remember it but believe you me they will.

My friends kids go to a pediatric dentist and they love it. It will really set the tone for their dental health for life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file