Parents of older kids: Braces

M2LRM2LR Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I took my son to the dentist last week, and he mentioend that he will likely need braces (hasn't lost his first tooth yet, but he does have some crowding problems all ready).

How old were your kids when they first started wearing braces? This dentist suggested that my son will be around 8 or 9 when we start...isn't there a "too young" point? 8 or 9 just seems too young!
:rambo:

Comments

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    When I was in 5th grade (10 yrs old) I had a friend with braces.
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    I started wearing retainers at 5 and by 8 I had braces.

It really depends on how bad the crowding is. I had all of my adult teeth by 8 but between 5 and 8 they wanted to keep the teeth I had somewhat aligned, hence the retainers. (it didn't help much)

Honestly, what helped was once my mouth grew into my teeth, then we corrected them using space retainers as my parents couldn't afford another round of braces.
    <insert signature line here>
  • M2LRM2LR Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I started wearing retainers at 5 and by 8 I had braces.

It really depends on how bad the crowding is. I had all of my adult teeth by 8 but between 5 and 8 they wanted to keep the teeth I had somewhat aligned, hence the retainers. (it didn't help much)

Honestly, what helped was once my mouth grew into my teeth, then we corrected them using space retainers as my parents couldn't afford another round of braces.

This is exactly my thinking...getting more than one round of braces for ONE kid is going to be rough! E's teeth are a little more spaced than R's, though, so I am crossing my fingers with hers.

Hubby and I do agree that we are willing to spend the $$$ on nice looking teeth for our kids, it's usually one of the first things that gets noticed!
    :rambo:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    They are doing more early intervention with braces these days, to reduce the amount and time of treatment later. My 10 year old daughter is getting a top jaw expander this summer, to hopefully make some room in her mouth. Her new teeth can't even come in because there's no damn room.

By the time I'm done with braces X 4 kids, I'll have spent well over $20K...and that's WITH insurance.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    My son is 8. He got them this past January.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My kids started a bit late, I think. Pat was 12, almost 13; Ashley was 11.5. Our orthodontist said they try to get the braces on the kids before the adolescent growth spurt because the spurt really helps the teeth move quickly. We were told they'd have them for about 2 years. Pat had headgear for almost 3 months to shift the teeth rather than pulling some. With homeschool he was able to get in 20 or more hours per day and had the quickest improvement this ortho has ever had (his youngest is in college, so that's many years).
    When the braces are off, they'll wear retainers day and night for 2 years, then switch to retainers only at night for another 2 or so years.
    My daughter's friends had braces put on at 9 and 10, wore them for about 10 months to a year, then were switched to retainers. They told my daughter their teeth are going back, though, so they might need to get them back on. The girls are now 10 and 11.
    When my son was 3 the dentist we had at that time told us he'd probably need braces. They can tell that young, before all the baby teeth are in, even.
    At least we can make payments. I laugh a bit because the monthly bill(for 2 in braces) is more than our van payment.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I was 9 when I first got them and then had just turned 12 when I got them off.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got braces when it was 15 and it was almost too late. I had a bad crossbite (as in, my upper jaw almost sat inside my lower), so I had to get what I call a bridge (it was a metal retainer that had a key I would twist open twice a day to widen my upper jaw) that I wore for 18 months, the braces went on 6 months after the bridge went in and everything came off 3 months before I graduated. All-in-all I had stuff in my mouth for about 3 years, then retainers full-time for 2 and still wear them nightly (well, when I remember) for TMJ management.

When I went and had my consultation with my orthodontist, he said that if we had waited 6 more months, they would have had to break my jaw to get my teeth right. And even then, they had to take out one of my incisors (middle bottom teeth) due to crowding. I say the sooner the better with braces. You won't regret it.

• PhDCowPhDCow Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm interested in this as well.

Emma hasn't been to the dentist since she lost her tooth back in February. The new one's in and there's just no room for it. I fear braces/dental surgery is in her future. :(
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    RCW - Is your daughter getting a jaw expander because she has an underbite? The reason I ask, is because DS is in a toddler mouth program in our health region and they noticed his underbite. They said it might correct itself in time...as more teeth come in...but there's a chance he would need something to stretch his soft palate so that his upper teeth met his lower teeth. They were talking about doing it at a much younger age - 5 or 6 years old.

Sorry to guano the thread.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW - Is your daughter getting a jaw expander because she has an underbite? The reason I ask, is because DS is in a toddler mouth program in our health region and they noticed his underbite. They said it might correct itself in time...as more teeth come in...but there's a chance he would need something to stretch his soft palate so that his upper teeth met his lower teeth. They were talking about doing it at a much younger age - 5 or 6 years old.

No, she doesn't have an underbite. Apparently, her upper jaw is narrow side-to-side and they want to widen it just a little. I had the same thing done when I was 14...I just needed a little extra space and my expander was removable, I don't know what hers will be.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I got braces when I was in 5th grade and had them pretty much forever (through at least 9th) mostly due to my mom never being able to make it anywhere on time, ever.

Anyway, I'm a bit leery of orthadontists. I don't really understand the logic behind all the early tooth pulling (I had SIX pulled at one time) and the rush to get braces on. It's obviously never "too late" as adults get braces all the time.

Also, a few months ago my best friend went to have a perm. retainer removed. Her teeth are perfectly straight, there's nothing about her jaw that looks wrong, she doesn't have headaches or trouble chewing, and her husband is dentist so if anything were seriously wrong I am pretty sure he'd notice. The ortho suggested this really aggressive round of treatment to correct something or another because she was this many degrees off here, and that many off there...it just made no sense to aggressivly treat something that looks fine and doesn't cause problems in any way.

I was also told I might need my jaw broken and reset, as were several other people I know. Thank God our parents didn't go for it because we all have straight teeth and look fine just from braces. I think there's a bit of milking the insurance that goes on in orthadontics.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote: »
    I got braces when I was in 5th grade and had them pretty much forever (through at least 9th) mostly due to my mom never being able to make it anywhere on time, ever.

Anyway, I'm a bit leery of orthadontists. I don't really understand the logic behind all the early tooth pulling (I had SIX pulled at one time) and the rush to get braces on. It's obviously never "too late" as adults get braces all the time.

Also, a few months ago my best friend went to have a perm. retainer removed. Her teeth are perfectly straight, there's nothing about her jaw that looks wrong, she doesn't have headaches or trouble chewing, and her husband is dentist so if anything were seriously wrong I am pretty sure he'd notice. The ortho suggested this really aggressive round of treatment to correct something or another because she was this many degrees off here, and that many off there...it just made no sense to aggressivly treat something that looks fine and doesn't cause problems in any way.

I was also told I might need my jaw broken and reset, as were several other people I know. Thank God our parents didn't go for it because we all have straight teeth and look fine just from braces. I think there's a bit of milking the insurance that goes on in orthadontics.

Agreed. It's good to go into the dentist/orthodontist's office with a healthy dose of informed skepticism. I know hubby's hygienist keeps pushing the fluoride on him and I have to deprogram him when he gets home regarding our chosen use of xylitol and skipping out on the fluoride, blah, blah, blah.

I'm hoping the kids won't need them but preparing for if they do. My sis and I didn't need braces but my little brother did and he got them in around freshman year and I know they were definitely out before junior year. Hubby and his siblings have opted to go for them in adulthood so we now have to prepare for hubby to get braces sometime within the next year or so.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte

No, she doesn't have an underbite. Apparently, her upper jaw is narrow side-to-side and they want to widen it just a little. I had the same thing done when I was 14...I just needed a little extra space and my expander was removable, I don't know what hers will be.

I had the same problem and had a removable palatal expander when I was in jr. high. My eye teeth couldn't come in completely until they expanded my jaw.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users

I had the same problem and had a removable palatal expander when I was in jr. high. My eye teeth couldn't come in completely until they expanded my jaw.

Is this what they're talking about my DS needing sometime down the road?
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Is this what they're talking about my DS needing sometime down the road?

Difficult to say. There are many newfangled orthodontic contraptions out there. Some are cemented in, some are removable.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Curl Novice Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    The younger the kid, the easier the teeth move. Sure adults get braces, but it takes twice as long because everything's skeletal, not cartilage. And adults can't have their palates expanded.

A lot of times they like to put kids in braces twice. it sounds like a way to get more money, but what do I know about kids and braces? :)
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • SpiderSpider Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My daughter's teeth were pretty crazy a few years ago, and she still hasn't lost all her baby teeth (she's almost 13).

I wasn't a fan of the early braces as she wasn't maturing very quickly, and two of her older friends that got them early continued to have issues after the fact.

4 of her baby teeth were pulled and the permanent teeth aligned rather well on their own. She still has a narrow jaw and I'm not sure where all her perm. teeth will go, but I feel much better that we didn't by the "she needs braces" sales pitch right away.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My son had Phase 1 of braces put on when he was 9. Phase 2 was put on a year ago when he was 12. His current ortho said he should have never had them put on when he was 9. When Phase 1 braces were taken off, he lost 5 or 6 teeth. He has another year on Phase 2.

I wish I would have known better. The first ortho just kept telling me if I didn't have them put on (at 9) he would have nerve damage.

I forgot to mention she had 2 brand new Jaguars the couple years we were there. It was like a cattle call when we went in for the appointments. The lobby was always full. :roll:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file