A Million Little Pieces

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
I just bought this book and I can't wait to read it. It's by James Frey and the book talks about his addiction to drugs and his recovery. I've heard excellent things about it.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    James was on Oprah yesterday talking about his life and I really enjoyed seeing his parents and his brother. I wondered what they looked like. James also has a follow-up book called 'My Friend Leonard'.
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I actually read it a year ago. I've passed it around to a few others as well. Everyone has loved it. Be prepared to do nothing but read for a while, it is very hard to put down. Great book.

Apparently they are trying to make a movie out of this. According to reports, the author is extremely unhappy at how "Hollywood" they are trying to make it.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    Excellent book. I actually did a review on it for one of my classes. Some parts, I was like: WTF :shock: I will read My Friend Leonard after the novel I am currently reading. TRC, I hope the movie will be just as good as the novel. I wonder who will play James, Lilly and Leonard?
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    msjoker wrote:
    Excellent book. I actually did a review on it for one of my classes. Some parts, I was like: WTF :shock: I will read My Friend Leonard after the novel I am currently reading. TRC, I hope the movie will be just as good as the novel. I wonder who will play James, Lilly and Leonard?

I hadn't heard about My Friend Leonard. I will definately have to check that one out! ....'cause I need more books... :oops: :lol:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I loved "Million" too! I wasn't expecting to, as it was an Oprah book, which I've found to be a bit light. But it was our book club book, so I bought it. LOVED IT!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WildCurlWildCurl Posts: 8Registered Users
    How was this book? Is it really a page turner? Is it about his addiction and how he overcame it?
    Gretchen wrote:
    I loved "Million" too! I wasn't expecting to, as it was an Oprah book, which I've found to be a bit light.

Ditto! I was very skeptical but as soon as I read the first page, I was hooked :wink:

WildCurl, IMO, this book was definitely a page turner. I thought Oprah was stretching it when she said she was awake for two nights reading this book, but I was the same way as well. It's about how the author, James, was a drug addict and an alchoholic. His parents check him into a rehab centre. He writes about his time in the rehab centre and the people he encounters while he's there.
  • WildCurlWildCurl Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thanks! I am going to get it.
  • sandradeesandradee Posts: 55Registered Users
    I've been thinking about getting this book. I'll put it on my xmas list! Thanks for the reviews of it.
  • LAwoman516LAwoman516 Posts: 23Registered Users
    I loved it and couldn't put it down --BUT I have a strong feeling that some parts of the book were embellished for dramatic effect. It didn't make me like it any less though!
    "I'm not mad. I just want to know who did this so I can punish them." - Dwight, "The Office"
  • nicoleshairnicoleshair Posts: 49Registered Users
    msjoker wrote:
    James was on Oprah yesterday talking about his life and I really enjoyed seeing his parents and his brother. I wondered what they looked like. James also has a follow-up book called 'My Friend Leonard'.

did anyone see Oprah it truned out not everything is True :shock:
    I'm Black/Native American with 4A or 4B hair? This is the second time i stop relaxing my hair! Thanks to this site.
    Yeah, I saw that Oprah episode and I was like "Whoa!" However, I would still like to read My Friend Leonard
  • thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    I can't belive this guy conned Oprah. I even honored him with a blog post.

O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
  • sandradeesandradee Posts: 55Registered Users
    There haven't been keeping track of this story lately, but it's interesting reading about this book knowing now how the author lied about being in rehab.

The shame of the whole story is all those who believed his "lessons learned" about addiction, applied them based on the lies he told, and failed because they were ignoring the correct programs like AA. Instead of helping people overcome addictions, he really made a mockery of the pain that comes from addiction to drugs and alcohol.
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Posts: 255Registered Users
    I can't belive this guy conned Oprah. I even honored him with a blog post.

:lol:

I decided not to even bother with it after all the scandal.
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
  • MeekoMeeko Posts: 7Registered Users
    I'm reading this right now.

I actually ended up buying it after his whole "Oprah Scandal" was reported. I felt a little bad for him, to be honest!
    Yes, Lying is bad. I know that.
    But sometimes reality is just NOT that exciting to read. I agree that he shouldn't have marketed his book as a non-fiction, but I honestly don't care what section of the bookstore it's in - a good story is a good story. Whether it's true or not, I just like reading stories.

I'm loving it so far. A page turner, as others said.
    Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound by guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    This book came up as choice for our book club, but we all voted it down. Personally, I wasn't interested in reading about someone's recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.

I don't blame Oprah for being pissed about his lying. It's common knowledge that any book endorsed by or featured on her show will become a best seller. Mr. Frey was so disillusioned by the dollar signs that he didn't realize (or care) about the people he stepped on on the way to stardom.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file