Can I get your opinion on a baby name?

puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
We are having another girl and are thinking about the name Annabel. I really like this name, but am wondering if you think it sounds too sweet and little-girl to you. I'm having a hard time imagining a grown woman, in a professional environment for example, being called Annabel. Last night my dad said it sounded sort of "country bumpkin" to him and I can see what he's saying.

I'm just wondering what other people's first impressions of it are. Our other daughter is Caroline, in case it matters.

Thanks!

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you have a middle name picked out?
    I do like Annabel, but I do know what you mean.
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it's a very classic name. I prefer the Annabelle spelling.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I really like it!!!

And if she prefers, she could always go by "Ann", "Anna" or "Belle"!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like it. My only concern would be that it sounds more girly to me than Caroline.
  • puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    No middle name yet.

I agree that it's more girly than Caroline. Caroline sounds like such a strong name to me. Annabel is more flowery. That bothers me a bit.
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    Two directors I work with are named Annabelle. Lovely women and very professional. I don't even think twice about their name. I think it's a perfectly nice name and not just for a little girl.
    <insert signature line here>
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I like it and agree with RCW about the spelling.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I think it's a pretty name. The first thing that popped into my head was the Edgar Allen Poe poem.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think a person's personality drives the name. I wouldn't worry about it being flowery or girly. If you like the name...go for it.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I like Annabel - especially the way you spell it (I think it looks too flowery with the -belle ending). I don't think it's too little girlish and sisters Caroline and Annabel sound nice. I loooove the name Caroline, btw.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it's a classic name, not used much these days, so she wouldn't be in with a bunch of Annabel's in school or other activities. It's not very flowery, to me, but feminine. I like the two names together.
    Not that you asked, but I think a single syllable middle name would work well. No suggestions, though, sorry.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love it! Old-fashioned and lovely.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Geez, I guess I am the one jerk who doesn't like it. For some reason it makes me think of a cow's name. :oops:

ETA: It occurred to me why. That movie Annabelle's wish.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    haha it does remind me of a cow, but its not one of those names you draw back in horror when you hear.

and i can see it working as an adult name too. plus if she doesnt like it she does have a few nicknames to use instead like curly canadian said.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Not that you asked, but I think a single syllable middle name would work well. No suggestions, though, sorry.

Ooooh, what about Annabel(le) Claire?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love it. It is simple and classic. Not too flowery or too little girlish at all.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I really like it!!!

And if she prefers, she could always go by "Ann", "Anna" or "Belle"!

Yea, that's just what I was thinking. And of course, I really love to hear Annabel too!
  • puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I prefer the -bel ending as opposed to -belle because it seems overly, i don't know, "decorative" maybe?
    PixieCurl wrote: »

Ooooh, what about Annabel(le) Claire?

Her middle name probably will be 1 syllable. My daughter is Caroline Gale, after a family member. I'm trying to find a family name we like.

Pixie - my sis suggested Annabel Claire as well. But I have a bad association with the name Claire.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like it. I don't think it's overly girly at all.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i like the name and i don't find it to be flowery or too little-girly. i agree with those who say personality rules. one of my best friends is named anabel (the spelling in spanish, which i like). she's a totally strong, vibrant, independent woman.

i also know a baby named anabelle (another spelling i love) & she's totally adorable. it's a great name. i say go with it!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    My husband's colleague named his daughter Annabelle.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I like it :).
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Annabel Grace.

You're welcome. ;)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • LilyWavesLilyWaves Posts: 224Registered Users
    I love the name! I named my Australian shepherd Annabel. I always loved the Edgar Allan Poe poem, so I kept his spelling and her middle name is Lee, too.
    2b
    conditioner - AOHR
    shampoo - Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree
    styling products - KCCC, BRHG, Boots Curl Creme, Re:coil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file