Affordable curl products

Curly939RedheadCurly939Redhead Registered Users Posts: 14
has anyone found any curl friendly products that are affordable?? I keep asking my mom to buy me some but she says if i want that stuff i need to buy it myself, being only 13, im not gonna go and spend $30 on a small bottle of frizz serum. So i usually get either garnier fructis or pantene. Both contain silicones which are apparently bad. but they are cheap so i jsut go for it and buy them

I need to find something that i can use on my hair that isn't gonna break the bank. like $10-ish or under
thanks!
extremely thick red hair. Top is 3B bottom is 3C. Random straight pieces at the back... don't know how they got there

*Learning to accept her wild hair* :compress:

Comments

• rosyrosy Registered Users Posts: 76
    I use suave naturals conditioner. It's CG friendly, really super cheap, and you can get it anywhere! I looove vanilla floral- try it!:wink:

2b/c (the sides and back)/3a (from the ears forward :laughing7:)

pw- wavygirl
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Registered Users Posts: 736 Curl Novice
    sallys has a lot of generic salon stuff that costs around 5-10 a bottle also check out this post
    http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/showthread.php?t=28711
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • purpleplatypuspurpleplatypus Registered Users Posts: 83
    also, i use LA Looks gel which is only about 2 dollars a bottle and it has realkly good hold :)
    Thick 3a hair that I am still learning how to manage! :toothy7:

Routine:
    normally I condition with suave naturals conditioner and then put in Knot Today Leave in conditioner and KKKC
    plop for 15-20 min
    air dry
    put in LA Looks Gel or Biotera Gel during the day

Pics of my hair...
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/ogga_booga/DSCF4727.jpg
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/ogga_booga/DSCF4721.jpg
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/ogga_booga/DSCF4726.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Herbal Essences products are cheap and work well for a lot of people. Another is Loreal Out of Bed.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MintMint Registered Users Posts: 1,143 Curl Neophyte
    VO5 conditioners are another great option. They're only about $1 and they don't feel gross on my skin like Suave condish (but they're good at conditioning too, especially Vanilla Floral).

I'm even starting to like VO5's conditioning heat spray (about $4) even though it has amodimethicone, but it's a silicone that you can easily wash out with coco betaine shampoo.

As for gels, there are a ton of good cheap ones out there. Herbal Essences Body Envy is my all-time favorite, but got2b spiked up gel is great if you need mega hold. :)
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Registered Users Posts: 673
    My favorite cheap products (actually my favorite products period, since I don't have the money for more expensive ones, and I LOVE these products, so why pay more?)

Sulfate-Free Shampoo: Cream of Nature Shampoo (this is available at Sally's and a few other places. Make sure you read the label and get the sulfate free one if you are CG. It is super moisturizing to prevent frizz) -- $6

Conditioner/Leave-In: Suave Natural Tropical Coconut--$1.25 (at most drug/grocery stores Wal-Mart, etc.)

Gel: La Bella Lots a Curls--$2.50 (I found it at CVS, I think others have found it at Target/Wal-mart, etc)

Cream: Biotera Curl Creme--$7 at Sallys
    This cream does not work for everyone, but I LOVE this stuff, and it is fairly cheap for a nice, effective hair product.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • JournalistJournalist Registered Users Posts: 366
    I like HE Totally Twisted gel. Nice scent and cheap.
    3a/b
    Protein sensitive
    med/low porosity/med texture
    Baking Soda/Vinegar rinses
    Suave Ocean Breeze
    HE TT Gel
    CG since April 12th '08! (No shampoo whatsoever!)
    Fotki
    I have more pictures up! :)
    Seattle for the Summer
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    You can get some good stuff at the Vitamin Shoppe. Check out www.vitaminshoppe.com.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • CSweetsCSweets Registered Users Posts: 10
    I absolutely love using Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo and conditioner. After I get out of the shower, I squeeze some of the water out of my hair, then immediately apply a Pantene Pro V serum, John Frieda's Frizz-Ease spritz, and Dove's mousse. I then let my hair air dry.
    Live For Today, But Look Forward To Tomorrow. And Also, Don't Forget To Smile.

Type 3b hair!

Currently Using:
    Suave Shampoo & Conditioner (Whatever scent I'm feeling)
    Herbal Essences TT Mousse

Current Goal:
    I grew all my natural curls out finally! Now time to grow it out to the middle of my back!! :toothy7:

2 Years of Curliness!!!!
  • shellynotshellynot Registered Users Posts: 1,140
    Garnier Fructis Moisture Works conditioner, GF curl shaping spray gel, and GF water-based shine wax. I love these GF products all of a sudden!!!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• notegalnotegal Registered Users Posts: 560
    CurlyCLoo wrote: »
    I absolutely love using Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo and conditioner. After I get out of the shower, I squeeze some of the water out of my hair, then immediately apply a Pantene Pro V serum, John Frieda's Frizz-Ease spritz, and Dove's mousse. I then let my hair air dry.

When you use the totally twisted do you find that it leaves a build up on your hair? I tried it once and was not happy with it at all because my scalp had a lot of build up on it. Plus I had a major hard time attempting to get the tangles out.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• CSweetsCSweets Registered Users Posts: 10
    notegal wrote: »

When you use the totally twisted do you find that it leaves a build up on your hair? I tried it once and was not happy with it at all because my scalp had a lot of build up on it. Plus I had a major hard time attempting to get the tangles out.

I haven't had any trouble at all with the totally twisted. I've been using it for almost a year now and haven't switched. My tangles are actually easier to take out with this shampoo and conditioner than it was with anything else. It just may be that different shampoos work for different people? Wish it could just help out everyone though...:)
    Live For Today, But Look Forward To Tomorrow. And Also, Don't Forget To Smile.

Type 3b hair!

Currently Using:
    Suave Shampoo & Conditioner (Whatever scent I'm feeling)
    Herbal Essences TT Mousse

Current Goal:
    I grew all my natural curls out finally! Now time to grow it out to the middle of my back!! :toothy7:

2 Years of Curliness!!!!

I haven't had any trouble at all with the totally twisted. I've been using it for almost a year now and haven't switched. My tangles are actually easier to take out with this shampoo and conditioner than it was with anything else. It just may be that different shampoos work for different people? Wish it could just help out everyone though...:)

Wouldn't that be nice? :) Oh well I'll just keep looking until I find something. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg.
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• gymnast0060gymnast0060 Registered Users Posts: 40
    thats cool, cuz im gonna be 13 in september. i understand ur position. my stepmom is just like that and its difficult to get good hair products on a 13 year old's budget. but, i have to make good with what i have and so i use just any leave-in conditioner i can find at target (its cheaper there then at the drugstore), i a spray the best though. i also use herbal essencese totally twisted mousse. my hair isnt as curly as urs (mines a 2c) so u might want to use the herbal essencese totally twisted gel. and thats pretty much all i use.
    -belly-button length 2b/2c hair
    -waves and a few loose ringlets
    -medium thickness
    thats cool, cuz im gonna be 13 in september. i understand ur position. my stepmom is just like that and its difficult to get good hair products on a 13 year old's budget. but, i have to make good with what i have and so i use just any leave-in conditioner i can find at target (its cheaper there then at the drugstore), i a spray the best though. i also use herbal essencese totally twisted mousse. my hair isnt as curly as urs (mines a 2c) so u might want to use the herbal essencese totally twisted gel. and thats pretty much all i use.

What are the ingredients in the Totally twisted get? Are there 'cones in it?
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

• wavybaby(:wavybaby(: Registered Users Posts: 22
    i use sunsilk captivating curls gel and cream twist: 5-10$ a bottle and it doesnt make your hair crunchy
    i also use marc anthony strictly curls curl booster spray,it defines your curls really good and its only about 7$
  • CurlyfuzCurlyfuz Registered Users Posts: 73

What are the ingredients in the Totally twisted get? Are there 'cones in it?

There is one but it is water soluable.
    i spelled that worng ooopps.
    2C/3a
    Loving Suave :toothy7:
    Growing out.
    Trying to find a cheap alternative to CurlKeeper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file