Homemade baby gifts

CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am in search of suggestions for a baby gift for my cousin. I like to crochet all my baby gifts because I like to think it's special.
Normally I make a blanket, but my mom is knitting one, so I don't want to duplicate. Her mother also knits , or crochets (can't remember which) so I suspect she'll have plenty of blankets.
She doesn't know the sex of the baby otherwise I'd jump at the chance to make some clothes for newborn or older.
One thing I thought of making was a set of washcloths or a handmitt and a matching receiving blanket.

New moms, what did you receive that you really liked?
What do you wish someone had made for you?
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is the mom planning to cloth diaper? If so, some wool covers would be nice. Otherwise, I'm of the opinion that one can never have too many washcloths.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    What about crocheting a little hat with matching booties? I don't know if those are hard to make or not.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi wrote: »
    What about crocheting a little hat with matching booties? I don't know if those are hard to make or not.

Ooh...I was thinking the same thing. I would have loved to have a bunch of hats for my little one. White is a great neutral color that would go with boy or girl outfits!!!

Can I order a white set??? :D
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I agree with the hats. Even if it's a summer baby a hand crocheted cotton hat is just so much better (and stretchier) than the storebought stuff handsdown. Plus your idea for washclothes is fabulous. I love the scrubbiness of crocheted and knit washcloths in cotton. Plus you could make them in fun colors besides the boring 3 shade continuum.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hats and washclothes sound like good ideas, or a soaker if she's going to use clothe diapers, like Bailey said.

I'm getting so many blankets! It's great you're trying to think of something different.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    bonnets in cool colors - other than pastels

Also if you can sew, pants made out of old wool sweaters.

970889978_59ae6dbcef.jpg?v=01871866117_0d4aa6c584.jpg?v=0
    hello.world.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    This hat was one of my favorite gifts!
    Hat.jpg?t=1210414451
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for the suggestions! I've found some hat, bootie, and hooded sweater patterns in my collection. I also made onesies for my friend's preemie baby that can also be made for newborns. I think I'll try to make several of these to give a collection.
    Thanks for your help!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    definitely a few hats and/or bonnets. the ones with the strings are great because then they don't pop or fall off.

a cream colored organic cotton or even other beautiful colors (so nice to have some things that aren't the typical baby colors - that's so hard to find - especially if you don't know the gender. all i could find in the stores were mint green and yellow clothes!)

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    This hat was one of my favorite gifts!
    Hat.jpg?t=1210414451

Now that's cute!!!
    hello.world.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Hand-knitted or crotcheted clothes, hats etc. are great gifts. I don't think you need to know the gender to make clothes. I got a ton of blue stuff for my boy and I know people who have girls end up drowning in pink. There are lots of great colours that work for both genders and can be re-used if the next baby is the opposite gender. I agree that a gorgeous neutral or jewel tone would be nice to have and is hard to find.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My mom's friend knitted me an aqua green baby sweater when I had my first baby. It was about a size 2T I think, but I was able to use it from about 6 months - 2 years with each of my kids. It lasted through 4 babies and the color was always perfect, no matter the gender. I gave it away just a couple years ago. It was the best loved and longest lasting baby gift I ever got.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    webjockey wrote: »
    Now that's cute!!!

Thanks! The funniest thing was that it was actually a first attempt at making an adult hat (a coworker's daughter) and she accidentally made it too small. It turned into that cute accessory for my daughter.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote: »
    I agree that a gorgeous neutral or jewel tone would be nice to have and is hard to find.
    My mom's friend knitted me an aqua green baby sweater when I had my first baby. It was about a size 2T I think, but I was able to use it from about 6 months - 2 years with each of my kids. It lasted through 4 babies and the color was always perfect, no matter the gender. I gave it away just a couple years ago. It was the best loved and longest lasting baby gift I ever got.

I have a variety of typical baby colors to work with right now, but stopped at the store yesterday and found a variegated yarn that will work with either gender. I also admired the deep turquoise and if I have time will get it and make something out of it. I prefer to use colors other than typical pink or blue because I know they'll be overdone by everyone else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file