Bladder pain and childbirth

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
I have posted a little on here about this before, but not much. I had been having issues with painful penetration for years, which was gradually getting worse. In October, I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis, a chronic inflammation of the bladder. Its cause is unknown and most treatment options are not safe in pregnancy.

Since I became pregnant it has become a lot worse. Sex became impossible for me pretty much right away. I have bladder pain in general that I did not have before getting pregnant as well, although I wonder if some of that is just normal in pregnancy. Any kind of internal exam is also very painful for me.

My doctor prescribed me Pyridium recently to try as needed for sex, but it is not a very powerful medicine and I don't think it will help much in labor and delivery. I also plan on refusing vaginal exams before active labor and limiting them while I'm in labor.

I really want to have a natural childbirth, but I am worried about this issue. I don't know if it will make labor and delivery that much worse for me or beyond my ability to cope, or if it's stupid to even worry about this when labor itself will be so painful anyway.

I guess I'm not really asking any questions here, just venting about my concern over this.
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I don't have any experience with this specifically, but I don't think it's stupid to worry. Everyone's experience in labor and delivery is different, and I know the first time for me, the delivery was very painful and it really made the labor seem like it was merely uncomfortable. I know that this is not necessarily typical, just my experience. My second delivery, by contrast, was very easy although the labor was extremely intense.

You still have some time to do some research and to keep your options open in terms of how you will handle pain management. I think it's fine to plan a natural childbirth and find while you're actually doing it that you need some help with pain management- you don't have to resign yourself now to something you're not sure you want.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    have you looked at yeast issues Iris? In just a brief search it seems those who go the alternative route mentioned yeast overgrowth and gut flora affecting their IC.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    have you looked at yeast issues Iris? In just a brief search it seems those who go the alternative route mentioned yeast overgrowth and gut flora affecting their IC.

No, I haven't. Can you elaborate a little more?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't have bladder pain specifically, but with my last baby, I had hip and pubic bone pain that nearly killed me during the last trimester. Every step I took was painful, getting up from a sitting position was excruciating. But, once labor starts though...I have to say you don't really feel those "other" pains anymore, because the contractions are intense enough to take all the attention.

Waterbirth!

Thanks, that is very helpful. I didn't have a lot of time to research this very much before I got pregnant and then I had my pregnancy to deal with.

I'm going to start keeping a journal of what I eat and how my symptoms are too, to see if I can identify any foods that make it worse for me.
    also, here's a discussion on an IC specific board.

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15277
    I didn't have bladder pain specifically, but with my last baby, I had hip and pubic bone pain that nearly killed me during the last trimester. Every step I took was painful, getting up from a sitting position was excruciating. But, once labor starts though...I have to say you don't really feel those "other" pains anymore, because the contractions are intense enough to take all the attention.

Waterbirth!

That's what I am hoping, as funny as it sounds. I'm planning a water birth, so I hope it will help.

Another reason I would like to go natural is not to get catheterized. When I had one inserted at my urogynecologist's office and again for my cystoscopy, I was irritated for days when I peed after both. Not to mention the increased risk of UTI--the last UTI I had was horrible.
    plus as a side benefit to doing some sort of candida diet right now is that you'll set yourself up for good prevention of thrush PP.
    Thanks Marielle :)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another reason I would like to go natural is not to get catheterized. When I had one inserted at my urogynecologist's office and again for my cystoscopy, I was irritated for days when I peed after both. Not to mention the increased risk of UTI--the last UTI I had was horrible.

Good idea! Urinary catheters are pretty much a given with epidurals, and they are really NOT good for bladders. Even the healthiest bladders will spasm and not work properly for several days after being invaded with a catheter.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users

I'm glad to hear that as well. I've been having hip and pubic bone pain for a few weeks. I wouldn't describe it as excruciating, but it's enough to be bothersome. I sincerely hope that it won't be noticeable during labor.
    ehLB.jpg
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i don't have any help for the bladder pain issue, but i'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with it.

i just wanted to say good idea with the internal exam thing - it really shouldn't be all that necessary. i had two my whole pregnancy - a pap at my first pre-natal exam, and once during transition when my midwife determined i was complete before i started pushing.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users

Waterbirth!
    Agreed.

My first pregnancy was easy, but with the next two my body hurt so bad. :( Once in labor all my focus was on my contractions. And knowing it is temporary really helps you through it.
    sarah42 wrote: »

I'm glad to hear that as well. I've been having hip and pubic bone pain for a few weeks. I wouldn't describe it as excruciating, but it's enough to be bothersome. I sincerely hope that it won't be noticeable during labor.

I didn't have the pelvic pain with my first or second pregnancies. It started with my third, and then by my fourth my pelvis was a wreck. It might have been from multiple pregnancies, or from my older age, or a combination of both. Whatever the cause, it's the reason why I didn't have a fifth pregnancy. Thank goodness it wasn't a problem in labor, and that it went away right after birth.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I'm experiencing pelvic pain this time around in addition to the regular ol lower back pain. Listening to my hypnobirthing tapes seems to help a bit. I'm also going to start chiropractor treatments earlier (speaking of... I should make an appointment now) to see if it makes a difference.

I don't have the bladder issues per-se, but I do experience pain.

Yea with the tub - all thougths of pain kinda go away in this wierd "I can focus on the task" way. Not to say that water = painless, but it provided a level of control that I didn't have a good grip on before.

Again I'm hoping that my hypnobirthing efforts makes a difference this time around.
    hello.world.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Webbie, I had pelvic and lower back pain early in this pregnancy (my third), but it thankfully hasn't lasted. I do have some stiffness when I wake up now, but I'm basically full term, so I guess that's to be expected. I'm just mentioning this because if I remember correctly, you're not too far along, and I think we're close to the same age (I'm 33).

Oh, and ITA about limiting internal exams anyway. After my midwife appt on Monday, my friends were asking me if I was dilated, and they were surprised when I said I have no idea. I mean, I'm not in labor so what do I care if I'm dilated. And I have no pressing physical reason to avoid them, I don't feel they're necessary and neither does the midwife.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I'm 33 and just a few months along.

As for internal exams, unless you're given a good medical reason, feel free to nix'em. My midwife was a minimalist when it came to these things, and I'm pretty greatful.
    hello.world.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I think my pain must be because of the short interval since pregnancy #1, plus the fact that I'm on my feet a lot for my job. The chiropractor adjusted me a couple weeks ago, but I could only tell slight if any improvement.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file