Curly Bashing?

deliriadeliria Posts: 35Registered Users
Total Beauty has an article, the "Worst Hair Trends of All Time". While most are pretty ridiculous, I don't think Mariah Carey's hair is so bad. A little big maybe, but they make it sound like curly hair is bad.
2b

Comments

• SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    Perm? I always thought that Mariah Carey was a natural curly! Or am I wrong?
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • curleechiccurleechic Posts: 27Registered Users
    I completely agree. They try to make it look like curly hair was a bad 80's fad. Did you read the caption for Jennifer Grey's hair? It said "Jennifer made curls cool in films like "Dirty Dancing" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" but looking at them now we have to wonder what she -- and everyone else -- was thinking." Yeah, the style is a little big, but they make it sound like curls are bad in general. :thumbdown:
    2C/3A & modified CG since 5/3/08

Current products I'm experimenting with:
    Sulfate-free poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat or JC Cream Cleanser
    Co-wash: Suave Tropical Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime
    Conditioners: Devacurl OneC, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Tigi MM, or JC Too Shea
    Leave-ins: Giovanni Direct or jojoba oil
    Curl Cremes: Mop-C, Biotera, or JCRR
    Gel: Biotera or JCCC
    Other: Devacurl Set it Free, JCAIS, JCWDT
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mariah Carey is a natural curly. And what's wrong with Jennifer Gray's hair? It's a little wide, but not frizzy. And Mariah Carey's hair was good except for her "bangs."

• SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    Mariah Carey is a natural curly. And what's wrong with Jennifer Gray's hair? It's a little wide, but not frizzy. And Mariah Carey's hair was good except for her "bangs."

I agree. I always thought Mariah Carey had such lovely curls. It's a shame that she doesn't wear it down naturally anymore.
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG. That whole slideshow is just a cat fest. They tear everybody apart. I think I would dismiss it as a bunch of vicious celebrity-wanna-bes getting their jollies from criticizing people getting the attention they wish they could get.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • TwoMoonsTwoMoons Posts: 754Registered Users
    I agree with Jillipoo. I like some of the hairstyles and I thought that the comments were way to harsh (a little malicious) to be proper criticism. It was more like a bash-fest from jealous nobodies. Besides Mariah Carey's hair looks beautiful... I just wish she would go back to being curly.
    :coffee::bunny::cat::headbang:OTAKU 4 LIFE!!!!

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.”

I <3 Cats!
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That list is a crock of ****. I'm sure if we saw pics of the people who compiled it we could pick them apart. I'm so sick of people calling curly hair, 80's hair. It's stupid. I guess we could call straight hair 70's hair and layered hair 90's hair.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are so right, Amandacurls!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think it's hilarious that they said Mariah's hair was frizzy in that picture. Her curls were anything but! I remember as a teenager being willing to part with a small body part to have hair like hers, and it still looks pretty good to me!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • PT_CudaPT_Cuda Posts: 329Registered Users
    Oh my lord what would they do with me.. I have the full head of Mariah's curls and some of Joss Stone's color streaks red as well right now..

Tell me I have frizz, I dare ya! :evil1:
  • tika curltika curl Posts: 13Registered Users
    OMG. That whole slideshow is just a cat fest. They tear everybody apart. I think I would dismiss it as a bunch of vicious celebrity-wanna-bes getting their jollies from criticizing people getting the attention they wish they could get.

Both of you are correct, I think.

I just saw the old video for "Hero" where Mariah had her pretty curls and thought that she used to look much fresher and youthful with the curls. Jennifer Gray's curly hair made me want her haircut.

There are other women on that list that actually looked okay, a little out there, but okay. Pink wears her hair crazy all the time, but she's just like that, so who cares? The creators of the list must be pretty lame people.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    God that list has just made me so mad!!! I just want to yell at whatever stupid person created that. Id say Maria Carey's hair looked the best there, great frizz-free curls, but I don't feel any of them were bad. They are really dismissing curly hair, basically saying anyone with curls is a sad, stuck in the past, fashion victim! What the hell is the stupid association that curly hair was only fit to be seen 20 odd years ago! Whoever sat there and made that list is just pathetic.
  • PurpleCurly7PurpleCurly7 Posts: 240Registered Users
    I like the hair of Jennifer Grey, Maryah Carey and Sarah J. Parker. Ii don't see anything wrong with either one.
    3a brunette, medium texture and density.

CG since 5/16/2008.

Growing out an eeevil :evil1: haircut with 4 layers on the left side and 6 layers on the right side.
    Currently using: Aubrey Organics' White Camelia, Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner and Island Naturals for co-wash. Alternating My Honey Child's : Caribbean Curling Creme, Honey Guava Balm, and Coconut Milk; and Moptop's Gel on top for styling.

• AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What are those guys smoking, if I may be so crass? Actually, most of the hairstyles look good in the slideshows. I'm not a fan of the streaky dye-jobs (well, Joss Stone's look adorable, actually) or SJP's brushed-out on top, curly on the bottom look, but most of the stars in that slideshow have the bone structure to pull off the styles they chose. Sounds like a case of haters hatin', to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file