CurlTalk

herbal essences "set me up gel". likes, dislikes pics added!!

curly mocurly mo Posts: 269Registered Users
I'm trying to find a new gel that has strong hold.. Anyone use this?
3a, growing out, CG since 2/08'
Favorites: KCKT, Oyin HH, LOOB, and HEBE
Password:gracie
glycerin and protein sensitive

pics added: 5/13/08

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I like it. I get good hold and no frizzies without crunch. It's my favorite right now.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    I just finished up my 2nd tube yesterday and have had a few good hair days with it, however, I am wondering if it will be a good summer gel for humidity for my hair.
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • curly mocurly mo Posts: 269Registered Users
    the only one I found was the spray gel, I'm guessing this isn't the same thing:sad8:

The only one I saw in a tube was the totally twisted gel.

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I'm wondering if it will be a good summer gel too. I usually use curl cream and no gel. However, I'm trying out gel for the summer. I have Wella Brilliant gel and HE Set Me Up gel. The Wella one is lighter, I think. I'm going to try the Set Me Up gel again soon.

For those who have tried it, do you use it to help style your hair or is it strictly for hold?
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I actually bought a tube of this about 2 weeks ago and have been using it off and on.

My hair is just barely to my shoulders, baby fine 3a/b (was thinned like crazy from a bad stylist, but at the roots is growing in really thick and curly), color treated as well. I have been using it over top of L'Oreal Out Of Bed Texturizer.

I was using FX gel before, and then switched to this. I find the hold is great and it really makes my curls more defined when combined with the LOOB (I tried the gel on its own, and it does not work alone for me). One great thing is that I get zero frizz (not sure if the gel has anything to do with it).

I usually use about a quarter size puddle and rake it through my hair and then scrunch it in after the LOOB.

I also like the smell a lot, so for me it's a hit. :D

HTH!
    Thanks for all the replies! Is the tube of this gel the same color as the "set me up" spray gel? Thanks to a recommendation from jilli:compress: I use a leave-in, curl cream, and then scrunch in my gel using the "scrunch and pump" method. My hair is very thick but gets weighed down very easily!

Since I bought the wrong kind.. I sprayed it in my hand and then scrunched it(big pain in the rear let me tell ya!) So far I have great clumping, no frizz but my hair is very hard! We'll see how it looks when it dries

The tube is a turquoise color. I think it is the same as the mousse, spray, conditioner etc. I only saw the gel on the shelf where I bought mine.
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    For those who have tried it, do you use it to help style your hair or is it strictly for hold?

I used to use just gel for styling. Didn't work very well. I use it mainly for hold now.
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FSoaringSIren%2F" class="Popup
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
    need_hair_repair.. with this gel do you gel crunchy feeling hair before its totally dry? I'm wondering if I'm experiencing this because I used the spray gel?

Generally my hair has some amount of crunch when it dries which I can easily eliminate with JC nourish and shine. But today it feels especially crunchy!

curly mo wrote: »
    need_hair_repair.. with this gel do you gel crunchy feeling hair before its totally dry? I'm wondering if I'm experiencing this because I used the spray gel?

Generally my hair has some amount of crunch when it dries which I can easily eliminate with JC nourish and shine. But today it feels especially crunchy!

I do get a crunchy feeling, but it comes out a lot easier once it is dry and I scrunch it out. I used to use FX curl booster gel and had WAY more crunch with it. So it may be the spray gel that was creating crunch for you.

Also, I find my hair LOVES product and soaks it up, so a quarter size puddle may be a bit much for your hair. Any other questions, feel free to ask :)
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    I used to use it. I liked it because it mixed well with all of the other stylers/ leave-ins I used at the time. It also left my hair crunchy, but the crunch was easy to scrunch out. The smell was also nice and I liked that it didn't leave my hands feeling "icky" after I applied it.

I stopped using it after I bought [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] because I got the same about of hold and I just liked [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] better.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    How generous of you:mrgreen: My hair soaks up product too.. but I'm prone to build up so I have to be careful! Is there glycerin in this gel?

Lemme grab my bottle and see:

Water, Laureth 23, Polyquaternium 4, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf (Stem Extract), Cereus Grandiflorus Flower Extract (Cactus), Fragrance, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Benzyl Alcohol, Acrylates/Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA

Whew, what a mouthful! Hope that helps :)
    Oh and by the way, I went and bought some more at Rite Aid last night and it was on sale...only $2.65! I love a good bargain!
    NO glycerin! woo-hoo! thanks again :blob7:

Curlymo, you have pretty hair! How does it react to glycerin?
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
    NO problem, I know how hard it can be finding the right product! I am sensitive to glycerine as well, but if it is not one of the first few ingredients on the list, then my hair is fine with it.
    thanks gettincontrol! sweet! It makes my head itch like nobodies business..lol It took me a long time to pinpoint exactly what the problem was, when I started using CK again I figured it out.

NHR- you're right I can use products if its not the first few ingredients as well. No CK for me! I tried the JC condition and sculpt and it made my hair frizz like crazy! I only used it twice and it weighed my hair down so much I had to poo today:sad8:

thanks gettincontrol! sweet! It makes my head itch like nobodies business..lol It took me a long time to pinpoint exactly what the problem was, when I started using CK again I figured it out.

NHR- you're right I can use products if its not the first few ingredients as well. No CK for me! I tried the JC condition and sculpt and it made my hair frizz like crazy! I only used it twice and it weighed my hair down so much I had to poo today:sad8:

ARGH I feel your pain! Maybe we are kinda hair twins in that regard!!!!
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I really like this gel, as well as aussie's tizz no frizz. But the HE gel in the tube works great when I want more hold. Problem is around here I can only find the spray gel which imo sucks. Leaves my hair dry, stiff, and frizzy.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
    My hair is definitely stiff but its not completely dry yet.. so I'm hoping once I scrunch out the crunch with my JCNS it will be alright!

• curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    curly mo you hair looks fantastic.....i just checked out your pic. how do you get such volume at the root? it looks like we have similar textures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• curls_aboundcurls_abound Posts: 22Registered Users
    SMU is awesome! This is the only gel that I can get 2nd and even 3rd day hair with. But it makes my hair super dry and I wonder if it's the reason for some of the breakage that I've been experiencing.
    thank you curlysue! First I should say I try very hard not to put product in my hair that weighs it down. I don't know about your hair, but mine gets weighed down very easily! After I have applied my product I use my radiant heat hairdryer for 10-20 min depending how much time i have. I tilt my head over and aim the heat upward but not touching my hair. The layers I have probably help too!

HTH let me know if you have anymore questions:toothy7:

• curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    thank you curlysue! First I should say I try very hard not to put product in my hair that weighs it down. I don't know about your hair, but mine gets weighed down very easily! After I have applied my product I use my radiant heat hairdryer for 10-20 min depending how much time i have. I tilt my head over and aim the heat upward but not touching my hair. The layers I have probably help too!

HTH let me know if you have anymore questions:toothy7:

I'm still new to all this. I liked how my curls came out but my hair overall seemed limp. Just trying to get some pointers for when I wash again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

for me.. limp hair means too much product

Curls_abound, it does have benzyl alcohol lower on the ingred list that could be why. I don't use it all the time but I do like it.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    After reading this thread, I'm going to try the LOOB and HESMU, I've had sitting around for quite some time. I got the SMU and TT, along with the TT mousse. I must have had a coupon, buy 2 get 1 free. The TT is also very good and doesn't contain glycerin. I get good clumping from that. For the price, it's really worth a try.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    SMU is awesome! This is the only gel that I can get 2nd and even 3rd day hair with. But it makes my hair super dry and I wonder if it's the reason for some of the breakage that I've been experiencing.

I switch back and forth between the HE SMU and HEBE gels and really like both, but like curls-abound, I also find that sometimes my hair feels a bit dry with the SMU. I'm not sure if it's the benzyl alcohol because the BE has it too. The only difference between the two is the botanical ingredients so I'm wondering if that's it.
    As far as SMU in the humidity, I think a lot of curlies on here like it in the summer.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
    Great, I can't wait to see how it works when humidity comes. Thanks!