Dimethicone in Mineral Makeup

swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
I just ordered a new mineral makeup and noticed it has dimethicone in it!?! Okay, now that I'm sensitive to avoiding this product in my hair products, why would I want it on my skin? Or would I? Does anyone think this is likely to be difficult to remove on skin like it is on hair? Thanks for any comments/advice. I like the makeup okay in all other respects.
2B ~ Lovin' it short again!
Aloe 80 Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter & Aveda Control Paste
Fotki PW: swirlygirl
Updated 7/13/08

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Skin cells shed off really fast. A hair takes years to shed off. It won't stick around in the same way.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    Your skin is constantly shedding, so I don't think build-up would be a problem.
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 606Registered Users
    Duh! I guess that makes sense. :compress: I was just concerned about clogging pores or setting myself up for pimples. I'll just watch it and see how it goes.

Thanks!!
    Updated 7/13/08

• JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    I have oily, acne prone skin and for me dimethicone in makeup clogs my pores and makes me breakout.
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
    JerseyCurl wrote: »
    I have oily, acne prone skin and for me dimethicone in makeup clogs my pores and makes me breakout.

That was my fear. Do you know about how quickly your skin gives you feedback?
    Updated 7/13/08

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The dimethicone acts as a primer to give the mineral makeup a nice looking finish and to keep it on your skin longer. I have used mineral makeups with dimethicone in it without breaking out. What kind did you get? :blob7: I'm a recovering mineral makeup junkie. :tongue5: I've tried so many different brands but now I have a few that I really like.

ETA: Typically, silicones do break me out but the dimethicone in my MMU didn't.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
    hmkenny wrote: »
    The dimethicone acts as a primer to give the mineral makeup a nice looking finish and to keep it on your skin longer. I have used mineral makeups with dimethicone in it without breaking out. What kind did you get? :blob7: I'm a recovering mineral makeup junkie. :tongue5: I've tried so many different brands but now I have a few that I really like.

This is Nicole Miller brand by Melaleuca (a direct marketing company). I've used Bare Minerals for years, and this is the only other one I've tried. I so like the coverage and color with this, but there a couple of things I don't like about it.

It is a bit more messy on the counters than the BE. It also makes me cough a little when I use it like there are fine particles that fly in the air. I never had that issue with BE. I'll probably use this rather than deal with sending it back, but I don't know if I'll order it again.

Which brands are your faves? :blob7:
    Updated 7/13/08

• hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using Prominerals since December. It's the Serious Skin Care mineral line on HSN.com. I like it because it is the least offensive to my skin, it has good coverage and seems to last all day. It also comes in a large container so it's not quite as messy as some minerals. I also like Mary Kay's. Again, nice wide mouth jar and a very natural looking finish. I also have a supply of Senna cosmetics. That's the one with the dimethicone in it.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use (non-comedeogenic) Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion on my face if it gets too dry from my benzoyl peroxide gel. It has dimethicone, but I've had no problems with it so far. Btw, I'm prone to having mild to moderate acne. :)
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    IWantCurls wrote: »
    JerseyCurl wrote: »

That was my fear. Do you know about how quickly your skin gives you feedback?

For me anywhere between 1 week to 3 weeks. Anytime I try something new on my face I always write it down in my calender so that if I start getting breakouts I can trace it back and usually within 1-3 weeks is when I can trace back the culprit for my breakouts. I hope this makes sense. :nike:
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file