Does anyone else have this problem??

FoxfireFoxfire Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello, I'm a newbie here, but I'm sooo glad that there's a place I can go to to talk to other curlies like me.

So the problem I've had for oh, about...15 YEARS is why won't my hair grow long?? It's type 3b, and I feel like I'm following all the rules: I'm not shampooing very often, I'm conditioning it a lot, I let it air-dry 97% before adding a little bit of blow-drying, I've just recently started taking a multivitamin...but my hair WILL NOT GROW!! In fact, a co-worker did admit that in the past 2 years I've been employed at my job, she's never seen my hair grow any longer the whole time. (And I haven't had it cut; just trimmed once in a while!)

Ok, yes, I have colored it a lot in the past, and I know that that's a really damaging thing (especially to curly hair) but is this what's causing the whole problem? I also suspect I might have a slight thyroid problem but my doctor doesn't believe me. Psh. What does HE know?

So can anyone help?? I used to have hair down to my waist until I cut it when I was about 14...it's never grown long since. What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Comments

• girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Registered Users Posts: 45
    Hmmm. I always had that problem when I straightened my hair, my ends would get all whispy and see-through from breakage and it seemed like it would never grow.

But it sounds like you treat your hair good, so I can't say I'm really sure. You could always try doing essential oil scalp massages, this seems to be helping me some. I mix rosemary, thyme, lemon, lavender, and ylang ylang together with a carrier oil and massage my scalp before bed. Other than that, maybe I'd get to the doctor and ask him what's up!
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I've had that problem. I haven't had a hair cut in 13 years, but my hair was barely BSL. I never really did anything damaging to my hair, I didn't use products besides moose at the time, I didn't color, I didn't heat style or blow dry. I was dumbfounded. I eventually found a long hair site, and started being even stricter with my hair routine. I measured every month, and for an entire year, nothing.

Then I started paying attention to the specific products I was using. Not just which one's made my hair look good, but the overall effect. For example, I noticed some made me shed more then others, with some, I noticed more splits. I learned that even in it's healthiest state, my hair is far more delicate then most. And when I started doing what my hair wants rather then what I want, I started to be rewarded with growth.

So dying could be your problem. It's not just what you do to your hair now, but what you did in the past as well. So if your hair is 30 inches long, it's everything you did in the last 5 years or so that is effecting your hair. Did you have a lot of stress, poor diet? That would have weakened the hair that grew in at the time, and make it prone to breakage now.

One of my biggest observations is, it's not the old hair that's growing long, but the new hair that grew in since I started really taking care of it.
  • FoxfireFoxfire Registered Users Posts: 3
    Yeah, I did dye it a lot in the past... Once, I even dyed it black 3 times only to chemically strip it out a few months later. (I've since learned that black hair is NOT for me) :wink: But I've been coloring my hair at least once a year for about...15 years. I haven't colored it in about a year, but it doesn't matter, huh?

So, would I have to cut off all the damaged part and start over if I want it to grow out all long and healthy?

I do have a lot of stress right now, too. I'm a vegetarian, but I get plenty of protein from tofu, beans, soy milk, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.

Does this help?

Thank you for your responses, by the way! Much appreciated! :wink:
  • FoxfireFoxfire Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you, by the way!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your hair, but this place is amazing to help find any information you might need.

I am wondering, would taking the vitamins for hair and nails make an impact? I know they sell them at Walgreen's.

I'm not much help, I don't think the dyeing and such would have a HUGE impact on the growth, it could be just about anything really.

I am growing my hair out and I just want it to grow NOW, so I can feel your pain.
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    Foxfire wrote: »
    Yeah, I did dye it a lot in the past... Once, I even dyed it black 3 times only to chemically strip it out a few months later. (I've since learned that black hair is NOT for me) :wink: But I've been coloring my hair at least once a year for about...15 years. I haven't colored it in about a year, but it doesn't matter, huh?

So, would I have to cut off all the damaged part and start over if I want it to grow out all long and healthy?

I do have a lot of stress right now, too. I'm a vegetarian, but I get plenty of protein from tofu, beans, soy milk, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.

Does this help?

Thank you for your responses, by the way! Much appreciated! :wink:

You don't necessarily have to cut it all off now. You can just gradually trim it off. That's what I'm doing. I still have 6 inches left myself of my "old hair" It's just something you'll going to have to wait out. Take special care of your new growth. It might be a while before you notice progress, but you will eventually. And just take care of yourself, good diet, try to eliminate stress is always good advice. Just take care of it, and then forget about it. A watched pot never boils. You'll just drive yourself nuts if you fret over it too much. Wear up a lot if length permits, it will protect your ends and you'll get a pleasant surprise when the growth does show.

Also one thing to keep in mind, is curly hair doesn't show growth as well. I remember when I used to measure, I didn't trim at all, wet measurement said I gained 1/2 inch, but according to the dry measurement later that day, I lost 2 inches from the previous month.
  • Tanna_GTanna_G Registered Users Posts: 50
    You mentioned you may have a thyroid problem and I do have a thyroid problem. My dr. did a blood test and said it was fine BUT a few months later I was in the hospital because I passed out on the floor and the hospital said my thyroid was totally inactive! My dr. still said it was fine. I knew then it was time to change doctors!

Here is some info on that if you don't already have it. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/

I don't take the med on that page but the info is good..I do take thyodine and since taking it my hair is lots thicker.

Good luck!
    Tanna
    3A CG

Using: VO5 cowash, Tigi MM, JCRR, and CCSS
    Trying: Pink Boots (so far so good)
    Occasionally: Burts Bees Rasberry condish
    Didn't like: JC Too Shea or Aloeba, Bioterra CC or glaze
  • horridly_fluffy_poodlehorridly_fluffy_poodle Registered Users Posts: 5
    Oh,
    sorry to hear that your hair wont grow out. Mine won't either, and I have the UGLIEST curls on the face of the earth. :thumbdown: I stupidly got a short wedge hair cut, because my hair stylist said it would require little or NO work at all. I haven't gotten it cut for a year and it hasn't grown a centimeter. I spend 2 hours trying to straighten it and it STILL looks like I just rolled out of bed!
    For the love of god, if I ever mention getting my hair cut again, please, JUST KILL ME!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file