CurlTalk

Does everyone have this problem with their lips?

jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
My lips..... well, they constantly peel. I use a chapstick atleast once a day, but usually more than that. It's only about once every 1-2 weeks that I wake up in the morning and my lips look and feel great. The next day, it's more of the peeling. Does everyone have this problem? What do you do about this?
Hair Type: 3a/3b

Comments

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Do you use actual Chapstick brand chapstick, or just some kind of lip balm?

Not that it matters, I'd consider switching balms if I were you. The only time my lips have anything like that is when I have a cold and I've been blowing my nose too much. I use either Neutrogena lip balm or Trader Joe's Lip Balm Virtuoso.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    No, I really don't. The only time I ever had peeling lips was when I was on Accutane. Even in the winter, I rarely get chapped.

Are you a lip chewer or licker?
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I'm neither a lip chewer or licker....and my skin is normal without being particularly dry but my lips constantly peel and always have. I find that most lip balms actually make my lips worse and anything with color definitely makes my lips worse. The thing that helps is to keep my lips exfoliated. I make sure to use my fingers to gently roll off any loose skin at night and in the morning and even run my new clarisonic brush over them. I use burts bees honey lip balm pretty often and am constantly trying others but I can't say that I've found my holy grail yet.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    I had this problem as well and come to find out I wasn't drinking enough H2O.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2Fauburnsunset%2F" class="Popup

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
    I usually use chapstick brand chapstick, or carmex. I'm not a lip chewer or sucker.
    Thanks for the responses! I'll try more water and exfoliating. :wink:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    some people do find Carmex to be drying because it has menthol in it. quit the Carmex and see what happens.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • criscatcriscat Posts: 355Registered Users
    I have this problem, the best things are:

1- bepanthen
    2- aquaphor
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I would try a non-petrolatum based lip balm like Trader Joe's Lip Balm Virtuoso, Burt's Bees, or Karite lip balm.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users
    I had this problem as well and come to find out I wasn't drinking enough H2O.

Well that makes sense, because my lips are dry and peeling all the time and I suck at drinking water. :toothy7:
    I actually drink lots of water and still have peeling lips but I agree with the suggestion to avoid Carmex and other balms with menthol and eucalyptus.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    drinking lots of water to hydrate your skin or lips is a myth. it is a good idea to be hydrated in general, but drinking more water to improve the condition of your skin/lips is a fallacy.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdms.dartmouth.edu%2Fnews%2F2002_h2%2F08aug2002_water.shtml" class="Popup
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Forcing water drinking because supposedly half the population is walking around dehydrated is a myth also. Our bodies have evolved to tell us to drink by making us thirsty. If we drink to satisfy our thirst, then we are well-hydrated. Anything more just comes out as extra pee.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    If you have nasal allergies and breathe through your mouth a lot, that'll cause dry, chapped lips. I use aquaphor....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
    Never thought to use aquaphor, but I'll give it a try. Not really sure what bepanthen is though...
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I can't use anything on my lips but vaseline. Not even chapstick. I'm allergic to menthol (usually in carmex and/or blistex), peppermint oil (burts bees) and flavorings (In all the them).

I am a lip biter, chewer and licker, so that's part of my problemo, too.

• MollydMollyd Posts: 12Registered Users
    Try the Aquaphor at night.

After years and years of trying several brands of lipstick, I figured out I am allergic to the red dyes in them! I think if you stay away from anything with any kind of scent you should be ok.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    I've had this problem for years and nothing really helps. I use vaseline and they feel better, but it doesn't really help the peeling. One of the drawbacks is that my lipstick starts to look like crap about a half hour after I put it on. :angry7:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    I can certainly empathize with everybody....I personally hated Aquaphor but it just goes to show that everybody responds to things differently.

M

• southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    Does your chapstick have camphor in it by any chance? I used a chapstick once (carmex i think?) and my lips got addicted to it and would turn chapped after just two hours of putting it on. I heard from someone that camphor is addictive and just makes your lips worse, so I stopped using it, and voila! Don't know if it was a coincidence or not though...
    EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
    I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 735Registered Users
    put a good moisterizer or vaseline on your lips and use an old toothbrush to exfoliate it helps a ton! (i do this if i plan on wearing lipstick because it always shows what condition my lips are in!)
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmisfitcurls%2F" class="Popup
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
    Does your chapstick have camphor in it by any chance? I used a chapstick once (carmex i think?) and my lips got addicted to it and would turn chapped after just two hours of putting it on. I heard from someone that camphor is addictive and just makes your lips worse...

that's an urban myth with no truth to it.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsnopes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fsecret%2Fcarmex.asp" class="Popup
    My blog:

• southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »
    Does your chapstick have camphor in it by any chance? I used a chapstick once (carmex i think?) and my lips got addicted to it and would turn chapped after just two hours of putting it on. I heard from someone that camphor is addictive and just makes your lips worse...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsnopes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fsecret%2Fcarmex.asp" class="Popup

Aw, man. :) I wonder what was in the carmex that made my lips addicted to it then?
    EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
    I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »

Aw, man. :) I wonder what was in the carmex that made my lips addicted to it then?

It could just be that you were allergic to it. People can develop an allergic reaction after repeated use of something.

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    It might be that your toothpaste has an ingredient that irritates your lips. Does it contain menthol? That would be an obvious culprit. In any event, try checking out the ingredients in your toothpaste. Then, buy a toothpaste with a very different formula.

Also, camphor is an irritant that causes peeling, and you should not use it on your lips. It's used on cold sores because it dries them out. That's the opposite of what you want your lip balm to do.

On top of menthol and camphor, eucalyptus, rosemary, and citrus oils are all irritants that inexplicably appear in a lot of skincare products.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    You could have a reaction to lanolin. I believe both chapstick and carmex contain it. It took me the longest time to figure out that lanolin causes my lips to become more chapped and dry. Sadly, almost all lip balms contain it.

If you are near a Trader Joe, try the Virtuoso lip balm...good stuff.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • frizzy pooffrizzy poof Posts: 21Registered Users
    Wow! Someone else has this problem too?:o

Yeah, I have this problem! I finally realized that what brings it on for me is chapstick/lipstick/lip gloss.
    Really-I can't wear them, with a single exception. The Merry Hempsters lip balm, but I can only use the vegan ones-lime or mandarin orange. I think that they are great as long as I remember to put it on! I have tried it all and nothing was helping until I found the hemp ones. My health food store was having a trade in as a promotion, and you could choose any flavor they had. So I got rid of the culprits and got some good ones. This was the first and only no beeswax one that found.

I seem to have this reaction to beeswax, which is in almost all lip products, "all natural" or not. That makes them start peeling and then the other ingredients common to lip products further irritate my lips: camphor, mint, color. They tend to make my lips burn. I can't do mineral oil either, my lips are all shiny and seemingly moist, the next thing I know my lips feel "crumby" when I start talking and my lips are touching each other-because within 10 minutes they are peeling!

A dermatologist also told me the only thing that would work was Aquaphor. I was there for an acne consult and she did not even look at my acne before she tried to write a script for it! Needless to say I didn't think very much about her opinion of Aquaphor after that. Good thing too-has mineral oil in it (when I checked it anyway), even though I told her I had reactions to it.:cussing:

Merry hempsters works for me. It's very rich, more like a salve than a wax. Probably good if you have very dry lips-makes a great cuticle balm too. They even make one with SPF. A holy grail for me.