Hot Topics

SmarieSmarie Posts: 9Registered Users
A little while ago my mother called my attention to a TV show she was watching called "Hot Topics." It's one of those magazine-style shows. She said the show had teased an upcoming segment about good news for people with curly hair genes. I hoped to hear that us curlies live longer, or have some other benefit.

Instead I tuned in to find out that scientists have discovered the "mutation" that causes curly hair and will soon figure out a way to make it straight. I was so disgusted to hear my hair type referred to as something that needs a cure. Adding insult to injury, my mother (a curly who always straightens with rollers) says "Well, it is hard to take care of."

So I go online and start looking for more information on this story and I find this article. Turns out the "cure" isn't for curly hair. It's for some special type of very brittle, sparse hair they call "wooly hair" that happens to a rare group of caucasian and asian people. They could have mentioned that on their TV show instead of making it sound like all curly hair was a disease and they just found the cure. :rolleyes:

Granted, the article does go on to say they may use this discovery for cosmetic purposes in the future, but they also say "She hopes to also find ways to change curly hair to straight or vice versa—not with an iron or a perm, but with drops or foam that would actually change the way your hair grows." The vice versa part was certainly not emphasized on this TV show.

I can't believe that even now as more and more people on television are wearing their hair curly, there's still an idea out there that straight hair is the proper hair texture. On a side note, I loved seeing Samantha Harris wearing her hair all curly on "Dancing With the Stars" the other night. She looked fabulous.

Comments

• keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    Smarie wrote: »
    A little while ago my mother called my attention to a TV show she was watching called "Hot Topics." It's one of those magazine-style shows. She said the show had teased an upcoming segment about good news for people with curly hair genes. I hoped to hear that us curlies live longer, or have some other benefit.

Instead I tuned in to find out that scientists have discovered the "mutation" that causes curly hair and will soon figure out a way to make it straight. I was so disgusted to hear my hair type referred to as something that needs a cure. Adding insult to injury, my mother (a curly who always straightens with rollers) says "Well, it is hard to take care of."

So I go online and start looking for more information on this story and I find this article. Turns out the "cure" isn't for curly hair. It's for some special type of very brittle, sparse hair they call "wooly hair" that happens to a rare group of caucasian and asian people. They could have mentioned that on their TV show instead of making it sound like all curly hair was a disease and they just found the cure. :rolleyes:

Granted, the article does go on to say they may use this discovery for cosmetic purposes in the future, but they also say "She hopes to also find ways to change curly hair to straight or vice versa—not with an iron or a perm, but with drops or foam that would actually change the way your hair grows." The vice versa part was certainly not emphasized on this TV show.

I can't believe that even now as more and more people on television are wearing their hair curly, there's still an idea out there that straight hair is the proper hair texture. On a side note, I loved seeing Samantha Harris wearing her hair all curly on "Dancing With the Stars" the other night. She looked fabulous.

That's so incorrect of them! Wooly hair might be a mutation but curly hair is certainly not! Curly hair is a gene that is found in about 67% of the world population.
    There are labs that are working on a pill that will change your hormones to give you a different hair texture or a different hair color, but I think that's different.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    I think it's a ridiculous concept to explore. I'm glad they didn't figure out a formula for that while I was into straightening my hair, or else I might've done it!

And what if people end up getting this sort of process done, but then begin to miss their curly hair? Then what? They won't be able to get it back because it chemically altered how their hair grows.

Curly hair isn't hard to take care of, as long as you know what needs to be done to take care of it. Maybe if people were more informed about curly hair instead of just being pressured to straighten, they would be able to handle their curly hair too!
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file