FYI- Seborrhea

funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
About a month ago I posted that had a burn from retin-a. well I thought it was getting better but it wasn't. It was horrible. Red, dry near my nostril and on my chin. SOmetimes it would be so dry, flaky and irritated it would hurt.

I had seborrhea...on my face! Seborrhea is essentially dandruff. I am really dandruff prone so I am not entirely surprised. Anyway, if you ever get this, don't put dandruff shampoo on your face. It is somewhat effective but really drying and in my case, it actually made things much worse.

Try these:
- Get a cortisteroid cream from a doc (but don't use it more than 7 days cause it will thin your skin)
- get ketoconzonale cream (nizoral cream). it is only given by Rx in the U.S. It is an antifungal and kills the yeast that causes seborrhea
- try a selenium sulfide lotion. You can only get this thru Rx in the states but you can by it online from canadian pharms. (This shipping prices suck tho).

And you didn't already know. Seborrhea is often activated by stress (which I have plenty of currently). I have also heard that if you cut the yeast down in your diet this can help as seborrhea is essentially "Yeastfest" on the skin.

Hope that helps someone....
2a-3a
Modified CG
Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)

Comments

• midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wow. sorry to hear about your ordeal; that sounds horrible! thanks for the information though.

How exactly did you get burned by the retin-A. did you apply it topically or was it in a cream you used...?
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    funkedisco wrote: »
    About a month ago I posted that had a burn from retin-a. well I thought it was getting better but it wasn't. It was horrible. Red, dry near my nostril and on my chin. SOmetimes it would be so dry, flaky and irritated it would hurt.

I had seborrhea...on my face! Seborrhea is essentially dandruff. I am really dandruff prone so I am not entirely surprised. Anyway, if you ever get this, don't put dandruff shampoo on your face. It is somewhat effective but really drying and in my case, it actually made things much worse.

Try these:
    - Get a cortisteroid cream from a doc (but don't use it more than 7 days cause it will thin your skin)
    - get ketoconzonale cream (nizoral cream). it is only given by Rx in the U.S. It is an antifungal and kills the yeast that causes seborrhea
    - try a selenium sulfide lotion. You can only get this thru Rx in the states but you can by it online from canadian pharms. (This shipping prices suck tho).

And you didn't already know. Seborrhea is often activated by stress (which I have plenty of currently). I have also heard that if you cut the yeast down in your diet this can help as seborrhea is essentially "Yeastfest" on the skin.

Hope that helps someone....

Ewww! That's funny but not funny if that makes sense. I have it really bad on my scalp. I also had it in my eyebrows once! I had no idea Nizoral came in a cream!

I hope the treatments you've been given work.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • funkediscofunkedisco Posts: 130Registered Users
    I got burned by retin-a because I got really excited about it and used it too many times in one week when I was just starting out. It completely dried out my face and made the seborrhea spread :(
    2a-3a
    Modified CG
    Suave Lavender Co, Tigi MM, CK, Fuzzy Duck/FX Curl

:) Take up a course in happiness :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file