my shameful moment

tmmycattmmycat Posts: 256Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
I did a shameful thing today and need some encouragement....

my normally-wavy hair was a lot curlier this morning than usual... not sure why... I blotted it with a fleece sweater and it seemed to want to stick in clumpy curls all over my head, even without any products. I was thinking ... wow that's cool and different. So I just left it alone instead of combing it like I normally do. I was loving my hair on the drive to work!! The whole time I was thinking my hair looks so shiny, happy, curly, different, interesting.

But then I started walking in to the office and saw my reflection in the door and I just freaked out! I was thinking ... I look so dressed up! I don't want to look dressed up! I felt like a poser because my hair doesn't usually look like that and I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard!! So I rushed into the bathroom and smoothed out my hair with my hands, and it was still slightly damp so all the curl went away. And then of course I was sad because I really did like my hair that way.

of course the ironic thing is that smoothing it out took more work than scrunching it in the morning so I really was trying too hard.

Anyway ... I just need some encouragement because I have no idea why I felt that and I want to get over this stereotype idea that curly=dressed up, or curly=not "my" hair.

I do love the rare days when my hair is curly, and it's still my hair even when it does that (I don't even use styling products), so there's no reason why I should feel like a poser with curly hair?! I just need some encouragement to not smooth out my hair when it is curly!! maybe pictures would help broaden my mind... or even just some encouragement...

sorry for the long post lol :)
shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
currently experimenting with water-only washing

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    Aww, I'm sure it looked awesome both ways.

I never read someone freak out before that their curly hair looked too dressed up! Usually it's the opposite, lol.

It is still your hair. I think if you are having such different days, you just have some getting used to do of all of them. Next time you have a curlier day, try to spend some time looking in the mirror and checking out how awesome it is.

Also, I don't know how long it is, but maybe for work try wearing it up some of the time? More variety will make it seem like there's well... just more variety, so curly hair wouldn't be such a shock when it happens.
  • TeaMonkeeTeaMonkee Posts: 1Registered Users
    I think it has a lot to do with being comfortable with yourself. Having self-confidence is key - you're probably (unconsciously) thinking 'there's no way such a luscious mane could possibly be yours, you don't deserve it!'

That's why some people don't dress nicely or put on makeup or never do anything for their appearance (and all of them slouch) - they feel it's a waste of time, because they don't deserve to be noticed. They feel like posers if they put on heels or lipstick.

Well it's all in your head (and not ON your head :wink:). You're imposing limits on yourself.

Simply start faking confidence and soon you'll have it. It's easier said than done, but practice makes perfect. Next time you feel like you're a poser, remember your own words - it's your own hair! And don't run into the bathroom to mess with it. Flaunt it woman!
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    I would LOVE to have hair that looks 'dressy' with minimal effort. You'll have to show a picture sometime so we can see what you mean by that term. But I bet it was gorgeous! No need to be ashamed of it! As the saying goes 'if you've got it, flaunt it!'

And if anyone has anything negative to say about your curls, it's clearly out of jealousy! Love your curls girl!
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • tmmycattmmycat Posts: 256Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    awww thanks guys ... I am going to try to wear my hair natural next time it is curly so I can get used to more variety. :)

I don't know if it is a confidence issue ... more of a desire not to look like I spent too much time getting ready for work. lol.

I am very much like a guy in that aspect ... you know how guys will spend so much time getting their hair perfect but the goal of that is to *look* like they just rolled out of bed. :) that's how I like my hair to look ... natural and wild and not too perfect-looking ...

also, in hindsight.... maybe it was the combination of skirt + heels + curly hair that made me feel dressed up, because I don't usually do any of those three things... (but had to because I needed to do laundry and the skirt was the only clean thing I had! lol) so maybe next time my hair is curly I will wear pants and I will feel more comfortable :)
    shoulder-length wavy - no shampoo/no cones
    currently experimenting with water-only washing
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    tmmycat wrote: »
    I don't know if it is a confidence issue ... more of a desire not to look like I spent too much time getting ready for work. lol.

But imagine how much you'll shock people when they ask and you can tell them you only took 5 minutes to get that wonderful hair! I know I would be VERY envious if I knew someone who could get curls with that little effort! :)
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Ha, once I straightened my hair and it got a little wet, so my friend walked into school and yelled "Oh my god Sammy, what happened to your hair?" I got all freaked and went into the bathroom to find a hot mess on my head. Underneath it was straight but on the top it was HUGE and wavy/puffy/curly. I looked like a monster. I couldn't believe I had been walking around like that for hours. You may think she was rude to say that, but god she was a lifesaver. Sorry for changing the subject, just had to say it.
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file