Tried Amla on my skin...WOW!

riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been using Amla powder packs on my hair to restore my curl from overdoing the henna. The box recommends putting some on as a facial mask, as does Catherine from hennaforhair.com.

Turns out amla has a lot of vitamin c acid in it and provides the brightening and exfoilating effects that vitamin c products do.

So twice this week I've made a quick mask using about a teaspoon of the powder (stuff that comes in green box from the indian grocery) and enough water to make thin paste. I applied to my washed face and let it sit to dry, it took about 15 min and supposedly thats the max amount of time it should be left on. I re-wet my face and gently scrubbed the amla around. Then I rinsed it of.

My skin really was glowing afterwards. It seemed brighter, a little lighter, and felt very soft. Supposedly this treatment will fade dark spots.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Comments

• hennabrainhennabrain Posts: 221Registered Users
    neat! an excuse for more experiments.

do you get your henna from catherine or from an indian grocery? i love catherine's jamila but it would be cool to find something cheaper.
    I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy.

- Mitch Hedberg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've used amla masks on my face (I use a 50/50 mix of henna/amla when I do my hair, so I always have plenty of amla on hand). It didn't seem to do much for my face, but then I'm so exfoliated and brightened already from my other products, that maybe I wouldn't see much of a difference. I found the amla "pulled" a lot at my skin as it dried, so I didn't continue it.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hennabrain wrote: »

do you get your henna from catherine or from an indian grocery? i love catherine's jamila but it would be cool to find something cheaper.

I got mine from a local Indian grocery. It was 1.99 for a box, so I bought lots. They had henna, but I didn't recognize the brand so I don't want to mess around with that. Catherine's Jamilla is awesome.

I have very oily skin so I like the pulling action because it seems to suck up the oil.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • hennabrainhennabrain Posts: 221Registered Users
    riotkitty wrote: »
    hennabrain wrote: »

I got mine from a local Indian grocery. It was 1.99 for a box, so I bought lots. They had henna, but I didn't recognize the brand so I don't want to mess around with that. Catherine's Jamilla is awesome.

I have very oily skin so I like the pulling action because it seems to suck up the oil.

interesting ... good thing i'm in a city w/ lots of indian groceries.
    I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy.

- Mitch Hedberg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file