Im new and transitioning

naturalcurlz86naturalcurlz86 Posts: 17Registered Users
Hello everyone. I am new member of naturallycurly.com. I've decided to transition into natural curls, because relaxers would not straighten my hair whatsoever. I've been getting relaxers since I was 8 years old. I am now 21, and just realizing that my hair looks better when it is curly.
Below is a pic of my relaxed hair during the air drying process:

n9418558_37260010_2714.jpg

I just started the curly girl program. So far, my hair feels pretty good.
I am in my fourth month of transitioning.
Here is a picture of my hair when it is straight:

n9418558_32635721_5278.jpg

My hair is very thick, and a pain to straighten out. It takes extreme heat for my hair to get straightened. If it rains, it is all over for my straight hair.
BC'ed on July 10, 2009:afro:

Products I'm currently using:

• Suave Professionals humectant conditioner
  • Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioners
  • Ecostyler Gel
  • Fantasia IC Gel w/ sparkle lites
  • Unrefined Pure Shea Butter

event.png

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is rebelling! If it takes extreme heat for your natural hair to get straight you might end up having damaged natural hair and not be able to enjoy it.

Your texturized curly hair is very pretty. Would you consider wearing it curly instead of straight until you are done with your transition?

By the way, congrats on your decision and welcome to the board! :toothy7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SAM2SAM2 Posts: 76Registered Users
    your relaxed picture with the curly hair is very pretty. im jealous. my relaxed hair looks absolutaly nothing like that after air drying. think of a cotton ball only flat.my hair doesnt look that good even with out getting it relaxed. i agree with the other poster, stay away from heat ,condition ,condition ,and wear it curly. it looks great. sam
  • naturalcurlz86naturalcurlz86 Posts: 17Registered Users
    Thank You Mariag002! I've been keeping my hair curly since I decided to transition. My new growth is very similar to my relaxed ends, but they feel healthier and look shinier. I started the curly girl program, so I have been co-washing and doing DTs once a week. It's really helping.

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

Thanks for the compliment and advice Sam!

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    WELCOME :blob7: You look fabulous and yes i think you look better with curly hair!!Good luck with your transitioning and feel free to ask questions :toothy7:
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
    Thanks flower princess!!! Lately I've been contemplating doing the BC, but I don't know if I have the guts to actually go through with it.

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

• Flower princessFlower princess Posts: 608Registered Users
    vpowell wrote: »
    Thanks flower princess!!! Lately I've been contemplating doing the BC, but I don't know if I have the guts to actually go through with it.

Do it whenever you feel so.That day you should tell yourself ''I want to be just the way i was meant to be'',''i want to meet my real self'':) this are some thought to sweeten the process!!:toothy7:
    I'm transitioning too I've not have the guts still ,I'm waiting for the school vacations to come before thinking about it again .:nike:
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Welcome vpowell!!! :D

You are such a lovely girl! That pic with your hair curly is so pretty. You will be beautiful with your naturally curly hair. :thumbup:

Don't worry about doing the BC. If you're gonna do it, it will happen when you're ready. I had no intention of doing one, but one day after transitioning about 6 or 7 months I just got fed up and wanted the only hair on my head to be my natural hair whether it was long or short!

But your hair looks pretty healthy and beautifully curly so hopefully, you'll be able to transition until you're at a comfortable length or just make regular small trims until all the permed hair is gone.

Good luck! :)
    sunshine75 wrote: »
    Welcome vpowell!!! :D

You are such a lovely girl! That pic with your hair curly is so pretty. You will be beautiful with your naturally curly hair. :thumbup:

Don't worry about doing the BC. If you're gonna do it, it will happen when you're ready. I had no intention of doing one, but one day after transitioning about 6 or 7 months I just got fed up and wanted the only hair on my head to be my natural hair whether it was long or short!

But your hair looks pretty healthy and beautifully curly so hopefully, you'll be able to transition until you're at a comfortable length or just make regular small trims until all the permed hair is gone.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Sunshine. Yesterday I was trimming my ends, and I was so tempted to whack my hair off, but I am going to wait to get more length before I cut it.:happy3:

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

vpowell wrote: »

Do it whenever you feel so.That day you should tell yourself ''I want to be just the way i was meant to be'',''i want to meet my real self'':) this are some thought to sweeten the process!!:toothy7:
    I'm transitioning too I've not have the guts still ,I'm waiting for the school vacations to come before thinking about it again .:nike:

I will make sure to think about that when it is getting chopped off. I am so happy that my husband and family are very supportive of what I am about to do
    with my hair. :toothy7:

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

• Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    Welcome Vpowell,
    your hair is beautiful!!! I'm new and in the same boat as you (transition w/o a BC yet). I see we use some of the same products too. I wish you well in your new venture, I love it!!!
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
    Welcome Vpowell,
    your hair is beautiful!!! I'm new and in the same boat as you (transition w/o a BC yet). I see we use some of the same products too. I wish you well in your new venture, I love it!!!

Thank you, Auburn Sunset. I purchased the conditioner last week, and so far, it's working wonders on my hair right now. By the way, your hair is very pretty.

• Ecostyler Gel

event.png

• NikStarNikStar Posts: 158Registered Users
    Welcome! My relaxed hair was just like yours. I would always still have curly hair just looser. Stylists in the past would tell me that I have a strong curl pattern, whatever that means. Anyway, good luck on your transition! I'm transitioning as well a couple weeks away from crossing the 1 year mark. I plan to transition for 1.5-2 years.
    My Fotki *must be logged in to see albums.
    dev043pr___.png
    rm5h0m.jpg
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Posts: 160Registered Users
    NikStar wrote: »
    Welcome! My relaxed hair was just like yours. I would always still have curly hair just looser. Stylists in the past would tell me that I have a strong curl pattern, whatever that means. Anyway, good luck on your transition! I'm transitioning as well a couple weeks away from crossing the 1 year mark. I plan to transition for 1.5-2 years.

I love your hair NikiStar and Fotki pics, too cute!!!
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • NikStarNikStar Posts: 158Registered Users
    NikStar wrote: »

I love your hair NikiStar and Fotki pics, too cute!!!
    thx!!
    My Fotki *must be logged in to see albums.
    dev043pr___.png
    rm5h0m.jpg
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nikstar, I was just admiring your hair pictures.

Auburn Sunset, I didn't know you had a texturizer. I thought you were completely natural. You have very pretty hair too!

I've always envied people that could relax their hair and still have curls. My hair was beyond straight and lifeless.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file