Curl friendly NYC salons?

WilliamsMamaWilliamsMama Registered Users Posts: 17
Can anyone recommend a good curl friendly salon in NYC?
My hair is in desperate need of a cut!
3b/3c, Afric-Asian Curly Mama
Aussie Moist, Olive Oil, Olive Oil IC Fantasia with Sparklelites

Comments

• MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    Well, there's Devachan which is like the "curl salons of all curls salons". I've never been there but there are many curlies on here that have.
    If you don't mind traveling into Brooklyn, I just got my hair cut by Casey at the Beehive Salon and had a really great experience. She's trained in the Deva method of cutting and was very knowledgeable and helpful. They also use the Deva and JC products. I posted about my experience in the General Discussions section. I'd add the link but I can't figure out how to do it.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • krissykrissy Registered Users Posts: 15
    devachan salon Awesome- See ana for hair cut and if you want color or highlight Joesph . I have 3b hair had a great experince.
  • bixbybixby Registered Users Posts: 20
    I wholeheartedly second the comment about Casey at Beehive. She gave me the best hair I've ever had, and explained everything so I could recreate it at home.
    nyc 3a
  • amaraliceamaralice Registered Users Posts: 302
    Could someone tell me what the cost is for a Devacut and curly style (no blow out) at Devachan? I checked their website and they didn't list price. Trying to figure out where my next haircut should be.
    Thanks!
    krissy wrote: »
    devachan salon Awesome- See ana for hair cut and if you want color or highlight Joesph . I have 3b hair had a great experince.
    Lakshmi's Cupboard
    http://LakshmsCupboard.com

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
    Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
    New Goal: Bra Strap Level
    Routine
    DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Magoo, What did the cut cost? Sounds like you had a great experinece there.
    Magoo wrote: »
    Well, there's Devachan which is like the "curl salons of all curls salons". I've never been there but there are many curlies on here that have.
    If you don't mind traveling into Brooklyn, I just got my hair cut by Casey at the Beehive Salon and had a really great experience. She's trained in the Deva method of cutting and was very knowledgeable and helpful. They also use the Deva and JC products. I posted about my experience in the General Discussions section. I'd add the link but I can't figure out how to do it.
    Lakshmi's Cupboard

If I use it, I sell it!

Routine
    Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bixbybixby Registered Users Posts: 20
    amaralice wrote: »
    Magoo, What did the cut cost? Sounds like you had a great experinece there.
    Magoo wrote: »

I also had my hair cut by Casey recently (best haircut I've ever had) and I think it was around $70, maybe give or take $10?
    nyc 3a
  • JulieWJulieW Registered Users Posts: 18
    A cut from Ana at Devachan is $135--I'm going to her for the first time next week, so I'll post a report afterwards.

There's also Ouidad on 57th Street--I don't know how much they charge there these days, but I went there years ago and didn't have a particularly good experience.
    2C/3A/3B mix
    Thanks Bixby and Julie!! I hate not knowing before I call a place. It'll be good to hear your experience at Devachan to see if it's worth the price differential. They both sound like they take real time w/ your hair and cut well.
    Lakshmi's Cupboard

If I use it, I sell it!

Routine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Amaralice, sorry for not posting sooner. I paid $80 for my cut, without tip.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    Does anyone know of a salon that caters to very tightly coiled, afro type hair. I normally go to a domincan salon, and they are pretty good, but they don't cater to natural hair (they dont use a wide tooth comb & pile tons of serum in it). Additionally, I cant stand the looks on their faces when the see me coming.

I would like to go to a hairdresser who will appreciate my hair for what it is. Someone who can straigten it without torturing me. If are knowledgable of natural styles that would be a plus.

I dont want to pay and arm, a leg and a kidney, but all suggestions welcomed.

Thanx :wink:
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • luckiestdestinyluckiestdestiny Registered Users Posts: 15
    Oh my God...I want to know too. I am studying in NYC for the summer, and I want to find a good place to go. I normally do my own hair, but sometimes it's good to take a break. Preferably in NYC.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I also go to Casey at the Beehive, she's been doing my hair for about two years now. I think I may have started the trend, lol. I've had her cut it in a few different styles and I'm always happy when I leave the salon!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • JulieWJulieW Registered Users Posts: 18
    I got my first Devacut today at Devachan with Ana, and it was AWESOME. Ana is terrific--she's extremely nice and extremely knowledgeable, and the cut is great. She actually didn't take off very much hair but between her cutting and the products they applied, it looks a zillion times better than it did when I walked in. (

It will still take some time for my hair to really get into shape because for years my old stylist was thinning my hair out with a straight razor, so the unevenness will have to grow out, plus my hair is still really dry so I'll have to try the CG regimen to see if that helps.

Overall it was a great experience today--all the people at the salon that I met were very friendly and very helpful, and I'll definitely go back.
    2C/3A/3B mix
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    bixby wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly second the comment about Casey at Beehive. She gave me the best hair I've ever had, and explained everything so I could recreate it at home.
    Where in Bklyn is Beehive?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    They have a website. There on Leonard street.

http://www.thebeehivesalon.com/
    Lakshmi's Cupboard

If I use it, I sell it!

Routine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    amaralice wrote: »
    They have a website. There on Leonard street.

http://www.thebeehivesalon.com/
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • sueshoofsueshoof Registered Users Posts: 5
    I would definitely recommend Devachan also. I just went to a salon on Long island where the stylist was trained at Devachan. This is the BEST haircut I've ever gotten in my life. People are complimenting me left and right. I am not wearing a clip for the first time in about 12 years. My hair falls beautifully. So, if this stylist ever leaves I will head to Devachan in a heartbeat.
  • teachnharlemteachnharlem Registered Users Posts: 9
    I just called Beehive to make an appointment with Casey. There was a recording saying that they're closed due to construction and that they will reopen the 17th. Do they mean June?? Does anyone know anything about this?
    I just called Beehive to make an appointment with Casey. There was a recording saying that they're closed due to construction and that they will reopen the 17th. Do they mean June?? Does anyone know anything about this?

They moved (just a few blocks away), but they were supposed to have reopened already. I'd try calling again- it was early when you called, they probably weren't open, and maybe they just forgot to change their outgoing message?
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
    Thanks so much! Appointment made! Wee!
    Excellent, enjoy your new cut! :)
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
    I'm sorry to say that I had a very unpleasant experience at Beehive yesterday. The cut is good, but Casey's unfriendly demeanor left a lot to be desired. As a new client, it would seem logical that she would introduce herself, ask about my lifestyle, hair concerns, etc. Instead, she was cold, curt, and clearly didn't care to leave a good impression. I'll be going to Devachan next time.
    Oh wow... sorry you had a bad experience, teachnharlem. :(
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • wecrunchwecrunch Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hi,

I wanted to know if any of you had your hair cut by Jeff at Beehive? I'm scheduled for a cut by him on Monday, and the consultation seemed to go smoothly. He was very nice and it seems as though he cuts curly hair a lot.

Thanks.:)
  • KathleenHKathleenH Registered Users Posts: 48
    sueshoof wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend Devachan also. I just went to a salon on Long island where the stylist was trained at Devachan. This is the BEST haircut I've ever gotten in my life. People are complimenting me left and right. I am not wearing a clip for the first time in about 12 years. My hair falls beautifully. So, if this stylist ever leaves I will head to Devachan in a heartbeat.

What salon on Long Island -- and what stylist? (thanks!)
    If anyone is interested, I went today (July 21st) for my cut. Jeff first used Devachan's No Poo to clean my hair, then deep conditioned with Miss Jessies Rapid Recovery for about 15 minutes under the dryer. After this, he began to set my hair with Miss Jessies Quick Curls on my 4A/B hair, and then proceeded to put me underneath a hooded dryer. When my hair was fully dry, he began to separate my hair to my true curl pattern and we discussed how the cut would go.

Overall, my experience was a positive one. We discussed styling options, the right products to use, how to properly care for my hair, and Jeff was VERY gentle with my hair. My only complaint is over using Miss Jessies since it has petrol/mineral oil in it. Right now my hair is soft, but is slightly greasy (if that makes sense).

I hope this helps someone. Oh yes, cut, deep condition and style was $75 (a bit expensive for a college student, but a lot cheaper than one of the mainstream salons).
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    wecrunch wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I went today (July 21st) for my cut. Jeff first used Devachan's No Poo to clean my hair, then deep conditioned with Miss Jessies Rapid Recovery for about 15 minutes under the dryer. After this, he began to set my hair with Miss Jessies Quick Curls on my 4A/B hair, and then proceeded to put me underneath a hooded dryer. When my hair was fully dry, he began to separate my hair to my true curl pattern and we discussed how the cut would go.

Overall, my experience was a positive one. We discussed styling options, the right products to use, how to properly care for my hair, and Jeff was VERY gentle with my hair. My only complaint is over using Miss Jessies since it has petrol/mineral oil in it. Right now my hair is soft, but is slightly greasy (if that makes sense).

I hope this helps someone. Oh yes, cut, deep condition and style was $75 (a bit expensive for a college student, but a lot cheaper than one of the mainstream salons).

It sounds like u had a great experience. I wish that I would have known Jeff before I cut my hair 2 weeks ago. Do u have any pics of ur new cut?
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
    wecrunch wrote: »

It sounds like u had a great experience. I wish that I would have known Jeff before I cut my hair 2 weeks ago. Do u have any pics of ur new cut?

Unfortunately, I don't. I thought about taking before and after pictures while sitting in his chair, but didn't bother to. I'll take some later.
  • kinihakiniha Registered Users Posts: 233
    i had two cuts with casey. first was OK--I got my $70 worth. second experience was bad because Casey was apparently in a terrible mood. I wonder if she thought I was someone else, or if she just didn't like how I was dressed that day? She seemed hostile from the start. It was super-awkward. As I tried to explain what I wanted, she kept contradicting me. I just meekly let her do whatever she wanted--a shape-up or trim I guess. She's the expert, and that was OK with me. Then at the very end she said, 'If you don't like your cut, you can complain to . . . ' in a way that was sort of daring me to complain, though I thought the cut and styling was perfectly acceptable.

It was weird and I'll never go back. I've never had a problem with anyone else who's cut my hair, ever.
    2b/3a, fine, "naturally frizzy", non-porous, above shoulders, brunette
    Low-poos--faves are Deva and JC, experimenting with CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    Conditioners: faves are Devacare One-C, Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
    Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

07-22-08_0903.jpg
    07-22-08_0905.jpg

This is day two and probably pre-fluffed (when I went to bed I put a shower cap on my head. I guess that's me getting around using a scarf). Before the cut I had extreme variations in the length of my hair. In the past if I needed a cut, I would twist my hair and snip the ends, but I would sometimes cut too much hair off. Here you can see that everything is evened out. I will know how my hair looks without the product when I wash it next week (or whenever my scalp starts to itch too much).

-On a side note, I think you can tell which side i slept on :oops:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file