CurlTalk

Is your hair high maintenance?

I feel like my hair is high maintenance most of the time. I struggle with frizz that nothing seems to win over, I never get 2nd day hair and I have to wash my scalp every other day, so it is wet often.
So I am wondering if you think your hair is high maintenance? Or do most girls on the board have an easier time (if you can have an easy time with curly hair? :wink: ) with their hair?
And maybe you wanna comment on why.

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I put no but it is sometimes. For the most part it's really not that bad, not as bad as I used to think anyway. I really don't get as much frizz as I used to (maybe I just thought I got alot of frizz because in pictures it's amazingly not that bad) and I can do 2nd day hair now. In fact I can plan on it if I need too. I'm kind of digging my hair now. I just want it longer right now. :)
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    I have often felt and said it is high maintenance. I think when I learned to take care of it and have it be healthy and look its best, it added more maintenance (i.e. not brushing it). Of course, when I was younger, especially as a kid, it was wash and tangle hair. It got some horrible knots and my mom and I would be constantly trying to detangle it. The good thing is that now it doesn't do that anymore.

For a while it was lower maintenance because I would air dry it and then wear it in a ponytail (and use a lot of silicone serum on it). Now that I'm trying not to use the silicone as much, and see how curly I can get, it's more high maintenance. I hope when I have perfected a routine it will be less high maintenance again. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    My hair is finally low maintenance. I have products that work and I don't feel the need to experiment nearly as much as in the past. I usually have an amount of frizz I'm okay with. If it's totally out of control, I can just smooth it down with some shea butter. If the weather is truly horrible, no one else has great hair that day either so I don't really care that much.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I put yes, because on the days that I wash it, it takes me forever to go through the routine, plopping, airdrying, etc. It's fairly easy on the in-between days though, if I've done it right on the first day. :wink:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    I voted YES, that my hair is high maintenance, although I treat it as if it is low maintenance. There's kind of a disconnect there, I know! I think if my hair was on someone else's head, they'd probably do more stuff to it and use more products on it to reduce frizz and keep it in peak condition. But I can't be bothered putting tons of things into it! I rarely use more than a cleanser, conditioner, and 1 styling product at a time. If not having any frizz at all means layering a bijillion products, forget it, I'll take a little frizz! I do love experimenting with new products though. The highest-maintenance thing about my hair right now is the products that I use; not available at drug-stores. :(
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • RipplesRipples Posts: 40Registered Users
    I voted "yes" only because I am trying to grow my hair out from very layered, very easy "wash & go" style. It has become a struggle now because I have reached the danger point - ya' know? When you just want to CUT it again - AARRGHHH! (Why does it seem to last forever at this particular stage?) :? However, it's healthier since starting CG, but taking longer to find the perfect product(s) to get the curls just right.
    Karyn

3A/f/ii CG since Aug 17, 2005...HG's: AHC, CK, Re:coil & GFSCC
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    no...im able to get 4th day hair!!! i just spray jessicurl awe inspiraling, scrunch in mousse and aveda humectant pomade and im out of the house. when my hair was longer, i was a ponytail girl
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Nope - I only wash it once every week or two, I usually only use a leave-in and no stylers, and sometimes a little pomade. I do spend a lot of time on it on wash days, but it lasts all week. If I spend a few hours doing braids or twists or setting curls, they last for days as well.
    I am with urbancurl - it should be high maintenance (long, thick, tight curls, dry, transitioning...) but I treat it as low maintenance. If I am playing around styling it, I consider that having fun, not an essential part of my routine.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    My hair is low maintenance. I usually only wash once a week (twice if necessary). Sometimes I rinse and condition in between; other times I just run my wet hands over my hair or spritz with water to refresh. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    Yes and no. :oops:

It feels like it's high maintenance from the perspective that I have to use certain products and I have to plan my hair washes and stylings according to what I'm doing that week.

But, when I wake up in the morning, I do feel low maintenance, as all I have to do is scrunch the crunch and maybe put a tiny bit of gel on the ends to seal the curl. It takes all of five minutes. I can usually get second day hair too.
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    I voted yes... my whole life seems to revolve around my hair. I have to make sure that I have enough time to do the washes, DT's, detangling, clarifying, etc. It seems like I have to plan everything around all this stuff.

The only break is like Lush said, on second day hair.
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    skywatcher wrote:
    I voted yes... my whole life seems to revolve around my hair. I have to make sure that I have enough time to do the washes, DT's, detangling, clarifying, etc. It seems like I have to plan everything around all this stuff.

I guess the washing part is the highest maintenance part for me too. Some nights it's like "dang, it's 8pm and I still have to wash/ wet my hair which means I have to stay up until at least 10 or 11....." And all I want to do is go to bed! :lol:
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • mundoazulmundoazul Posts: 18Registered Users
    I would say yes. Not because I use a ton of product, but getting even product distribution if no easy task. In fact, it rarely ever happens as that would entail about 2hrs!!!! :shock: I have to wet it every day, eve if I just wat to wear a ponytail. The only time my hair is "malleable" (for lack of a better word) is when its wet.

I love my hair, but I'd love it even more a billion times more f it didn't take so long to get it to look good. And then the look never lasts...stupid shrinkage...
    Previously omnigirl

Password: curl lover (don't forget to type the space!)

Hair type that defies description...3.5 B maybe? Or 2 D? Looser 4B? *scream*

Was it where they lost me that I finally found myself? - Pablo Neruda
  • mishymishy Posts: 33Registered Users
    Yes and no - I've finally found the right combination of products, so my hair is much easier to deal with and looks a lot better on a daily basis with minimal effort. However, I do color my roots every five weeks to cover up a lot of greys, and I consider that part to be high maintenance.
    Mishy (color-treated, thick, 2b/2c, several inches below shoulder length, long layers).
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    skywatcher wrote:

LOL, me too. Aren't we sad?? :P
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    skywatcher wrote:

Yup, this is me in a nutshell except I can't do second day hair. :cry:
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Not anymore. After washing my hair, I just put some gel and blow-dry with a diffuser. Only takes about 15 minutes! We won't get into how long it took me to deal with my hair when I was straightening it!
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    It's just so unpredictable. I never know how it's going to come out, and I get pretty much the same results no matter what I use, so if I could get over my paranoia about how it's going to turn out, it probably COULD be a lot less maintenance, yeah.

I think where I get into trouble is arranging and styling it. That's like Russian roulette.
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I said yes, just because curly hair is not a wash-and-go type of hair, which I would like. But, compared to most curlies here, I am probably somewhat low maintenance. I only get my hair wet every 3 days and am usually pretty happy with how it looks if I stick with my tried and true products.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymel%2F" class="Popup Password: curls
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I voted no.

I no longer worry about every little bit of frizz or whether it's a windy humid day.

I never get second day hair, so I wet it every day, but then I just put in gel, plop a bit while I put on my face, scrunch it and go. I never really style my hair.

I use cheap products that are easy to find, so that saves me time and money.

If it gets too wild, I just put it in a pony.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • blanclilablanclila Posts: 107Registered Users
    Low. I at least rinse it every day and usually wash it,
    meaning conditioner wash and occasional shampoo if I really need it.
    This is at night after the gym. Then in the morning
    I mist it down with lavender water and use some gel. That's it!
    wavy / coarse / thick
  • petitfoxpetitfox Posts: 128Registered Users
    I think my hair is pretty low maintenance now. It's healthier, softer and the texture is more even since I started CG. I found some really nice products now, and I got used to my reality that in Europe, I have a limited choice :D .
    I also accept my hair as it is, I do get a challenging day once in a while, but I'm pretty happy, even with my frizzies.

I spend some time with my hair when I wash it, apply products, air dry, but I don't think about my hair so much the rest of the time. Ah... finally free space in my brain!
    The only thing is that I run every morning, so I often have to wet and restyle it afterwards..
    2C-3A. PW: on request
    Love:Jessicurl WDT+Too Shea, Coconut Oil, Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo, BRHG and Curls Rock Creme.
  • KurlyGurl708KurlyGurl708 Posts: 24Registered Users
    I feel like my hair is high maintenence in the fact that I have a lot of steps & products that I have to use in my routine to get the best results. All the products are under $5.99, so it's not high maintenence in that aspect, but as fat as work, I'd say it's high maintenence.
    3b/c texturized hair.
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    From reading all of the replies my impression is that some of us look upon high/low maintenance as different things. Some of you that answered low is to me high and the opposite. Funny. :wink:
    I guess it could all depend on how much we had to do before we came to this place..

• CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    I said no. It is high maintenance compared to my fully relaxed hair, but that's only because I spent "zero" time doing anything to promote my hair's health before--I rarely even washed it myself. :oops: So now, comparatively speaking, it is high maintenance, but really, it takes me about 15 minutes to get it ready for bed at night and another 15 minutes to style it in the morning. My cowash days are about 1 hour, and my 'poo wash days take about 2.5.

Now, if you count the time I spend "thinking and planning" my hair, and the time I spend on hair web sites, then yes, it's extremely high maintainence--but that's all my choice! :D
    Natural pics: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicturetrail.com%2Fshelacious" class="Popup
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • RylandCurlRylandCurl Posts: 33Registered Users
    I said NO, because now that my hair is short, it's easy, easy, easy! However, when it was long, it was ultra-high maintenance. If you want to know why I went short, look on this site for Articles (I think you can find it from the home page), and see the one by Michelle on chemotherapy!
    Suburban DC area.
  • ~curlyfry~~curlyfry~ Posts: 26Registered Users
    i voted "other," since it's a little bit of both. i make it all the way to 7th day hair each week. all i have to do is spritz my hair with water and smooth on a bit of product. but later in the day, i have to check my hair in the mirror every once in a while to see if i need to "fluff" from beneath or change my part or smooth down some frizz. but even though my hair requires frequent "check-ups," i don't have to do much to it.
    3b. Tight, brown corkscrew ringlets; down to the middle of my back with sideswept bangs that I "straighten" by tucking behind my ear while drying. :wink:
    College freshman and hair product junkie. Not a good combo! haha!
  • acorn~oakacorn~oak Posts: 9Registered Users
    No, not since I cut it short (chin-length) this summer and since I've been in college. :D

It's great and I even like it poofy the second day. I have my products figured out, and I'm not really letting it bother me any more. I've hardly been on these forums at all.

College is awesome. I've gotten so many more hair compliments here than I ever did at high school.
    3b and botticelli,
    loving my curly hair!

Do whatever works for you. Who cares whether you're violating curly "doctrine"?
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    My hair has been high-maintenance my whole life, even when it was straighter. I'd get awful tangles in my straight :!: hair when I was a kid. In puberty it went pouffy and I was always brushing the heck out of it to make it straight. Finally, at 28, I figured out I have loose curls. Now I have to deal with never, ever knowing how it will turn out. I can use the same products and method from one day to the next and get anything from lazy waves to spiral curls. It's just totally unreliable, and that to me is high-maintenance. The only thing I can seem to control now is frizz; I know what products I can rely on in that respect.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    lushaholic wrote:
    I put yes, because on the days that I wash it, it takes me forever to go through the routine, plopping, airdrying, etc. It's fairly easy on the in-between days though, if I've done it right on the first day. :wink:

I know what you mean--for me it is just the drying that takes forever, and if i only use 1 product itis a lot less. i'd say mine is pretty low maint--exc for the above little wrinkle :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup