CurlTalk

Is it stupid to worry about getting facial hair?

One think I'm worried about is getting facial hair! I think it's a waste of time and seems really superficial to me!

Speckla

Comments

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    Luckily, there's a solution to every problem. I get my upper lip waxed and I pluck those annoying chin hairs. One of the many "side effects" of growing older. :wink:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I don't think it's superficial at all to worry about having facial hair. Since I was a teenager, I have always been self-concious about my "moustache". Some of my friends, and the occasional guy would tease me about it. -ouch!- I have always assigned my Spanish and Mexican heritage to the fuzzy lip - can't do anything about that.

I started bleaching the hair, thinking that would make it less noticeable. In my 20's, I began with the waxing and the depilatory creams. Nowadays, I pluck. Since I now use Retin-a, the bleaching, waxing and depilatory creams are contraindicated. I pluck very carefully and, so far, haven't had any trouble.

There are many signs of aging that I can and do accept. The sagging breasts, not-so-flat tummy, thinning and greying hair don't bother me so much. I figure my 'stache is something I can quickly and easily manage and it just makes me less self-concious. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Funny - I think we all have our limits, our lines in the sand. Gray hair and some forehead wrinkles don't bother me enough to do anything about them - at least not now. But if I had facial hair, I would absolutely get them gone!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Just so you're not growing a big ole 'stache or anything... :laughing7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    developing facial hair can be indicative of a change in your health.

think of it as a "canary in a coal mine".

it can be quite common for women with PCOS or a testosterone imbalance.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Just so you're not growing a big ole 'stache or anything... :laughing7:

So far, Tom Selleck still has me beat....:toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    rouquinne wrote: »
    developing facial hair can be indicative of a change in your health.
    think of it as a "canary in a coal mine".
    it can be quite common for women with PCOS or a testosterone imbalance.

I've had a total hysterectomy and both my ovaries out Oct 2006 and I worry about getting facial hair. I don't want to ask on the hysterectomy board I post on because it seems like such a small issue compared to what a lot of those lady have gone through.

So far so good. I don't expect to wake up with a full mustache one morning...but I'm sure a hair will appear here and there...just don't happen soon!

Speckla
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    VTmom wrote: »
    Luckily, there's a solution to every problem. I get my upper lip waxed and I pluck those annoying chin hairs. One of the many "side effects" of growing older. :wink:
    Yup, what she said goes for me too! :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Effing chin hairs. I have gotten a few since I hit my 40's. My stash used to be fine and blonde, but it's darkened in the last few years, and I can't wax it because of Retin-A (waxing tears the skin right off...I tried it once a few months ago and had a horrible time clearing up the injury), so now I just pluck it, which hurts. I just keep telling myself "it hurts to be beautiful".
    I can't wax it because of Retin-A (waxing tears the skin right off...I tried it once a few months ago and had a horrible time clearing up the injury), so now I just pluck it, which hurts. I just keep telling myself "it hurts to be beautiful".
    I find if I lay off the retin-a for a couple of days before my waxing, I'm fine, if not, ouch! :eek:

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Same here, although I use Retrinal and not Retin-A. I stop using it a week before my waxing appointment and have no prob -- I know that's excessive, but I want to make sure my skin doesn't peel off with the wax.

Since my cataract surgery, I am now seeing my skin up close (not a great thing, unfortunately) and I'm seeing tiny hairs that I missed plucking before. I've also changed my makeup color, and I'm getting obsessive about my pores. Somehow cataracts gave me that false airbrushed look and hid my flaws from me! ;)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    curls2grow wrote: »
    Somehow cataracts gave me that false airbrushed look and hid my flaws from me! ;)
    If there's an upside to cataracts, that's definitely it!

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Is it true that retin-a promotes hair growth? I've read that a few places, but don't know what to think. Retinyl palmate is included in a lot of hair products, which makes me think it might be true.

I've had excess hair since before puberty (and long before PCOS was a diagnosis). It's a pain. So this is a stupid fear of mine. Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    It can be annoying, but I don't think worrying about it helps anything.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.

My husband and I have a pact. If either of us ends up gorked in a nursing home, he will visit me often to pluck my chin hairs, or I will visit him often to pluck his ear hairs. If both of end up demented though, we're screwed. We think it's just too much to ask our kids to pluck our unattractive hairiness.
    Castella wrote: »
    Is it true that retin-a promotes hair growth? I've read that a few places, but don't know what to think. Retinyl palmate is included in a lot of hair products, which makes me think it might be true.

I've had excess hair since before puberty (and long before PCOS was a diagnosis). It's a pain. So this is a stupid fear of mine. Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.

This is from the 4corners pharmacy website, where I order my retin-a:

Retin-A has 3 main uses

First of all it is used in the topical treatment of acne vulgaris.
    Secondly it is used in treating the visible signs of ageing and can diminish the lines on the face and can help in fading age spots.
    The third use of topical tretinoin is to help enhance the effects on minoxidil for the treatment of alopecia or hair loss.
    Topical tretinoin appears to increase the beneficial effects of minoxidil, and it is thought that this is due to increased absorption of minoxidil through alteration of the stratum cornum barrier.
    One study showed a triple absorption with 0.05 tretinoin as compared with a control vehicle.

Does Retin-A assist in hair growth?

Tretinoin is sold under the trademark Retin-A. Retin-A was originally used in the treatment of acne and other skin disorders. Studies have shown however that Retin-A alone or in combination with minoxidil can result in moderate to good hairgrowth in individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata
    Retin-A has been shown to effect cell proliferation and vascular proliferation. Studies have shown that Retin-A alone can result in good to moderate hairgrowth. The effect that Retin-A or Tretinoin has on growing hair is even more enhanced when used in combination with topical minoxidil. Dr Adam Lewenberg who markets a combination of minoxidil and tretinoin which is known as the Lewenberg formula carried out studies and recorded results of treatments carried out on patients. Dr Adam Lewenberg treated 484 people with a mixture of topical minoxidil and tretinoin. After two years of treatment "cosmetically satisfying" results were obtained in about 90% of these people. In an article written by Dr Lewenberg about his studies, Dr Lewenberg noted the following.
    Unlike Minoxidil which effects on the vertex of the scalp, the combination of Tretinoin and Minoxidil results in hair growth in all regions of the scalp.
    Also maintenance therapy requires less frequent and smaller doses of the combined medication.
    The third point that Dr Lewenberg noted is that the combination treatment of topical Minoxidil and Retin-A is highly effective in women.

• MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    I don't think it's superficial at all to worry about having facial hair. Since I was a teenager, I have always been self-concious about my "moustache". Some of my friends, and the occasional guy would tease me about it. -ouch!- I have always assigned my Spanish and Mexican heritage to the fuzzy lip - can't do anything about that.

I've had facial hair probably since my mid-20s. I never thought if it as a sign of ageing. I just have it waxed or use a depilatory for senstive skin/facial hair; part of my normal routine.

It's just part of having dark hair and light skin.
    Malory wrote: »
    I've had facial hair probably since my mid-20s. I never thought if it as a sign of ageing. I just have it waxed or use a depilatory for senstive skin/facial hair; part of my normal routine.

I have mine waxed now, too. I've used a depilatory a couple of times. It did a good job of removing the hair, and eventhough I don't have particularly sensitive skin, it burned me. What kind do you use? Have you had any problems with it burning your skin? TIA!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Why worry? If you get it wax it off.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    My grandmother had chin hair, and now I do, too. I pluck it if I remember, but sometimes, I shave it off in the shower. I figure, WTH? I'll never be as hairy as my fiance, so who has to know?
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users
    VTmom wrote: »
    Malory wrote: »

I have mine waxed now, too. I've used a depilatory a couple of times. It did a good job of removing the hair, and eventhough I don't have particularly sensitive skin, it burned me. What kind do you use? Have you had any problems with it burning your skin? TIA!

I'm actually using a store brand. It makes my skin a bit red, but it goes away quickly. No worse than the redness I get from waxing.
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Posts: 314Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    One think I'm worried about is getting facial hair! I think it's a waste of time and seems really superficial to me!

Speckla

wait until you start growing a beard and see how superficial and a waste of time you think it is.

it is a devastating experience. at least for me it was! one little light brown hair plucked returned with a vengeance and brought its cruddy little friends with it.

thank GOD for electrolysis.
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    My husband and I have a pact. If either of us ends up gorked in a nursing home, he will visit me often to pluck my chin hairs, or I will visit him often to pluck his ear hairs. If both of end up demented though, we're screwed. We think it's just too much to ask our kids to pluck our unattractive hairiness.

I don't want kids, so I always tell my siblings that I'm going to make it rich and whichever niece or nephew comes to the nursing home and plucks my chin/eyebrow/lip hair gets my inheritance! Or maybe I'll just hire a nurse to do it and give my inheritance to them! I'm already plucking and have since I was like 16. At least I'm not like my sister who has to shave daily...and has a worse 5 o'clock shadow than her husband!

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    BugEyeZ wrote: »
    Speckla wrote: »

Speckla

wait until you start growing a beard and see how superficial and a waste of time you think it is.

it is a devastating experience. at least for me it was! one little light brown hair plucked returned with a vengeance and brought its cruddy little friends with it.

thank GOD for electrolysis.

I'm referring to worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying removing hair is superficial or a waste of time.

Speckla
  • criscatcriscat Posts: 355Registered Users
    Ladies,

No need to worry. Intense pulse laser is a reality!

I've got my armpits and bikini area done ages ago.
    Say goodbye to annoying waxing.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FLaser_hair_removal" class="Popup
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    laser hair removal worked wonders for me! plucking my chin hairs just left me with bad scarring (i have very sensitive skin). i used to be very self-conscious about it--now i don't give it another thought.

i'd love to have my armpits done, too. not so sure about the bikini area--didn't that hurt?
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Ugh. I routinely have nightmares about chin hair. This morning I woke up with one thought on my mind: electrolysis or laser, whatever it takes! I've done electrolysis before. I just wish there were some way to crush the inactive follicles before they get any ideas. Maybe I can use mental energy to redirect all that hair-growing power to my scalp.

I bet men with hairy ears aren't stigmatized in nursing homes, but deep down I'm convinced that the bearded female patients are not treated as well as their facially hairless sisters!

I am also curious if applying retin-a to the face stimulates the growth of facial hair.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • criscatcriscat Posts: 355Registered Users
    laser hair removal worked wonders for me! plucking my chin hairs just left me with bad scarring (i have very sensitive skin). i used to be very self-conscious about it--now i don't give it another thought.

i'd love to have my armpits done, too. not so sure about the bikini area--didn't that hurt?

Not so bad. Of course it's not a painless thing, but to me, armpits were worse. I used to wax everything, which hurts much more, and had to do that every 2-3 weeks...
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    BTW, I used to go visit my Grandma when she was in a Nursing Home, toward the end. She had some pretty funkadelic whiskers. We just took either a regular razor and shaved it off, or took an electric razor and shaved them off. Simple enough. And the nurses will do it. In fact, they offered, but we had already beat them to it.

• CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    Okay,I'll admit that I get a chin hair now and then and hair on my lip.I just have DH pull it out or use a trimmer for the hair on my lip.I'm offically embarassed:laughing7:!
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years

Leave a Comment