Does Hot Water Dry Out Hair?

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
I was wondering about this. I enjoy taking steamy, hot showers but I read somewhere hot showers dry out skin so I was wondering if it also dries out hair? I haven't noticed my skin drying out when I get out of the shower.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    i think so. im not sure. but to be extra careful, i now do a final rinse with cold, distilled water
  • LadyLibra1982LadyLibra1982 Posts: 203Registered Users
    i have heard that heat makes your hair's cuticles open up, which makes your hair more porous (like opening up all the windows and doors in your house - anything and everything can get in and out with no problems). so my guess is, if your cuticles were open cuz your hair is hot, and all the moisture escapes before they close again when your hair cools, your hair could get dried out.

to be on the safe side, i do a final rinse in cool water to close up those cuticles and trap the moisture in. it doesn't have to be freezing cold... just cooler than what you showered in. hope that makes sense! :wink:
    Lady Libra
    3c/4a???
    i stick with the description "OS thready thick"

my curly fro now is at collarbone when straightened.... basically the length i had when i started transitioning! hooray for growth!!! =)
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry to guano, but LadyLibra1982, your hair has grown SO much! Looks very healthy.

I think we could be hair twins(or close hair cousins). Your curl pattern seems really similar to mine in pics #31 and #49. If my hair was your length, I would imagine that it would look just like yours.

Okay....end of guano. :wink:
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • LadyLibra1982LadyLibra1982 Posts: 203Registered Users
    Sorry to guano, but LadyLibra1982, your hair has grown SO much! Looks very healthy.

I think we could be hair twins(or close hair cousins). Your curl pattern seems really similar to mine in pics #31 and #49. If my hair was your length, I would imagine that it would look just like yours.

Okay....end of guano. :wink:

i think you're right! :shock: i just got done looking at your pics. the only difference is sometimes your curl pattern looks a little more stretched out, but i'm guessing it's because of your length. i'll have to try out some of the products you use, your curls are much better defined than mine. (constant fuzzies on my head, LOL :oops: )

always great to find someone with hair similar to mine! :D

okay we should stop hijacking the thread now, LOL :wink:
    Lady Libra
    3c/4a???
    i stick with the description "OS thready thick"

my curly fro now is at collarbone when straightened.... basically the length i had when i started transitioning! hooray for growth!!! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file