Oiling The Scalp

msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
Does anyone oil their scalp and see good results from doing this? If you do this, do you do it once or twice daily?
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• KnottyKnotty Posts: 164Registered Users
    I only oil my scalp when it's dry with jojoba oil or shea butter and even then it's not my entire scalp just the dry bits.
    3c/4a
    event.png
  • OldSoulOldSoul Posts: 268Registered Users
    My way of oiling the scalp is spraying daily with oil/water/EO mixture. My scalp is desert dry without this.
    The poster formerly known as JCrysy
    :::::::::::::::::
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier
  • pizazzpizazz Posts: 239Registered Users
    I spray every night and every morning after styling with my mix of Coconut/jojoba/water
    mostly4a/3c/frizz
    http://public.fotki.com/pizazz/
    pw:buttercup
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    Thanks girls! I need to start doing this more regularly.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • jcce23jcce23 Posts: 91Registered Users
    I oil my scalp once a week.
    1 yr 4 mths natural; type 4a CF iii
    121806-2.jpg
    My hair pics!
    BC: 8/6/05
  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    I oil my scalp with a teeny tiny bit of coconut oil every night and massage well.
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • honiecurlshoniecurls Posts: 106Registered Users
    i lightly oil my scalp every other day
    3c very thick big hair
    Henna girl
    th_100_3332.jpg
    th_100_3330.jpg
  • WildCurlWildCurl Posts: 8Registered Users
    I never oil my scalp because I was told that it blocks the pores and keeps hair from growing. This does make sense to me but when I was a child I would get my scalped "greased" and my hair was its healthiest when I was that age. Hmm maybe I need to get out the grease again.
  • princess8907princess8907 Posts: 6Registered Users
    I oil my hair with olive oil every night and massage well
    4b natural
    transitioning
    goal of bra strap length hair
  • DocDoc Posts: 367Registered Users
    I oil my scalp several times a week with my home made butter (avocado butter, coconut oil, avocado oil and cactus leave in all whipped together). I use this same butter on my hair for twists and twist outs. My hair and scalp drinks it up.
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • growingitlonggrowingitlong Posts: 122Registered Users
    Doc wrote:
    I oil my scalp several times a week with my home made butter (avocado butter, coconut oil, avocado oil and cactus leave in all whipped together). I use this same butter on my hair for twists and twist outs. My hair and scalp drinks it up.

wow, this sounds lovely! Do you mind sharing how you make it? tia
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Posts: 255Registered Users
    I don't oil my scalp and I don't regularly oil my strands. I may use a nickel sized droplet of hair lotion once a week but that is on the strands.
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
    Doc wrote:

wow, this sounds lovely! Do you mind sharing how you make it? tia

Hi growingitlong, I'm SO SORRY I took so long to reply :cry:

To make the butter simply take whichever butter you prefer (I'm now alternating between avocado and shea butter) and place it in a mixing bowl. I use all of my butters at room temperature. I prefer not to soften in the microwave because I like to know what consistency I'm going to end up with.

To the butter I add and equal amount of coconut oil (about 1/2 cup of each)

Next I add about 2 tablespoons of avocado oil

I then handmix with a mixing spoon (much like mixing cake mix)

Once the butters and oils are mixed together, I add a little of the cactus leave in, usually about 4 tablespoons

Last I whip everything together with an electric handmixer; this is what gives it it's buttery consistency. I use this particular butter on my hair AND skin.

The great thing about this is that you can experiment with whatever products and concentrations you like. Because I don't use any kind of preservative, I only mix in small batches that will be gone in 1 or 2 weeks, and when the wheather warms up I'll put the butter in the fridge until I'm ready to use it.

Again, I'm sorry for taking so long to reply!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    i dont oil my scalp
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've never understood the point of this. Will someone explain? What's causing your scalps to be dry?

Spiderlashes5000, some people may have scalp conditions that they think are aided by oil like dandruff, psoriasis, etc. Not sure. Maybe the others who oil their scalp will clear it up.
    .jpg
    ohura wrote:
    Spiderlashes5000, some people may have scalp conditions that they think are aided by oil like dandruff, psoriasis, etc. Not sure. Maybe the others who oil their scalp will clear it up.

But this is untrue, right? Dandruff and psoriasis aren't cleared up by oiling one's scalp?

I had a good friend in grade school who used to "water" her scalp every day. She'd wet her fingertips with water and rub them into her scalp. I asked her why and she said it was good for her scalp. I still didn't understand. I mean I get why one would oil one's hair...but not one's scalp. :?:

Is it like putting lotion on skin? So the skin feels not so itchy or tight or whatever? (I just put on lotion so my skin won't look white and 'ashy'. But I guess some people have itchy skin?)

• niaoliniaoli Posts: 79Registered Users
    the scalp is skin too so it can get dry just as skin does. some oils do help with eczema like flax seed oil and some oils are good for hair growth like castor and coconut oil.
    currently use Redken butter treat and allsoft conditioner, looking for my HG!
    niaoli wrote:
    the scalp is skin too so it can get dry just as skin does. some oils do help with eczema like flax seed oil and some oils are good for hair growth like castor and coconut oil.
    Niaoli, is there a general concensus about the growing properties of castor/coconut oil or are you speaking from personal experience? I hardly use any product but I would not pass on something actually good for my hair.

ETC: typo
    .jpg
    I've never understood the point of this. Will someone explain? What's causing your scalps to be dry?

For me, oiling my scalp goes back to my childhood when my mother used to do it. Back then I suffered from dry scalp, but thinking back on it, it was probably because of the mineral oil and petroleum filled grease that my mother used to use (who knew back then :lol: ).

Now that I do know better, I doubt that my scalp is actually dry, but I continue to do it because I know that the ingredients that I use are healthy and nutritious for my scalp (which is skin). So when I apply my butters to my scalp I know that it penetrates the scalp and is good for it.

So now instead of "greasing my scalp", I like to think of it as "feeding my follicles" :lol:

Is it necessary? In my case, probably not, but I like to do it anyway.

There may be others who for whatever reason do suffer from dry scalp ie the follicles don't secrete enough natural oil and so they choose to supplement by adding oil to the scalp.
    Gotcha. And the manual stimulation is always good, too...gets the blood flowing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file