How to get my hair to do something.

jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
I'm so frustrated. My hair is about a 3b, but I have a relaxer which is half way grown out. I wanted to curl it with flexi-rods, but it doesn't seem to matter what I use to curl it, it just doesn't stay (especially the part that is relaxed). Maybe I am not using the right products or I'm not using enough products. I have always felt like my hair just doesn't do stuff like other people's hair does, and I'm getting frustrated!:sad8: I'm thinking of chopping it off despite the fact that I just cut a lot of it off the other day. What kind of products should I be using to get it to hold?
Hair Type: 3a/3b

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Awww, jmw. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. :(

I went through the exact same things when I was transitioning. Besides my hair being relaxed, it is also very fine so the relaxer made it too soft to have/keep much hold.

Here's what I did though:

When I would wash & condition(or just condition) my hair at night I would apply some gel(gels are trial and error. ones that worked for me - Garnier Fructis Hard Curl Gel, La Bella Lots of Curls Gel I also had good results using Garnier Curl & Shine Leave-In but I think it's discontinued).

Then I would either
    1)put it into 3 or 4 braids, let air dry over night, separate in the morning then mix a little more gel with water in my hands to scrunch the waves up into curls -or-
    2) I would "plop" by bending over at the waist then scrunch my hair up into a crinkled pile(or 2) on top of my head and use butterfly clips to clip it up and let it air dry over night.

Sometimes with the second method I would take the clips out in the middle of the night but kept the pile of hair up above my head. I didn't usually need to add more gel the second way.

If these don't work for you, you could also try using a diffuser or blow dryer to dry your hair. I don't have a diffuser, so I can't help with that. But with the blow dryer, you could still put your hair into braids with gel then blow it dry and take out the braids.

Some people have good results with curl enhancing products. I tried Paul Mitchell Roundtrip but maybe because my hair was so fine, it made it very frizzy.

Hope some of this helps. :)
  • girlstuff2020girlstuff2020 Posts: 45Registered Users
    I have no advice for you but I wanted to say, I'm in the same boat as you!!!!
    I've learned that bobby pins, clips and scarves are a great way to disguise nasty straight ends and curly roots! I'm finding the CG routine is really helping restore some "life" to my ends, as well.
    Better hair days are to come for the both of us, I'm sure!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ponytails and headbands saved my life back when I was transitioning.

Transitioning is painful and feels like it takes forever, but keep your eyes on the prize ladies. The months go by before you know it and then you're free
    :nike:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file