CurlTalk

any boar bristle brush alternatives out there?

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
I have issues with dragging the hair of an oinker through my hair. TIA for any responses!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

  • smallpeassmallpeas Posts: 162Registered Users
    Hey curlyara,

    Are you looking for a tufted/bristle brush (i.e. are you using it to smooth down hair)?

    If you're looking for a tufted hair brush, your only options are probably acrylic (e.g. some Fuller brushes) and nylon bristles (e.g. some Denman brushes). I don't know if they make vegetable fiber hair brushes; I usually only see those types of brushes for scrubbing things.

    If it doesn't have to be a bristle brush, you could look into hard nylon/plastic or wood pin/quill brushes (e.g. Denman D3, D4, the Goody knock-offs, various Scunci brushes, etc.). You could also try bone combs (which are made of resin, not bone). These are all pretty good for detangling, but none of them are gonna do much for smoothing down the hair.

  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    A good nylon bristle brush can do the same thing as a boar bristle brush - you just have to check to make sure that the bristles are stiff enough.

    Paddle/pin brushes or combs won't do the same thing as they are more for detangling purposes. Boars' bristle brushes are good for smoothing hair, esp. at the hairline or to put it up.

    I know some people who get good brushes from pet stores! (ie. the type of brush used for grooming horses or dogs.) I am sure there are some nylon or acrylic ones.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    anicetta wrote:
    Hey curlyara,

    Are you looking for a tufted/bristle brush (i.e. are you using it to smooth down hair)?

    If you're looking for a tufted hair brush, your only options are probably acrylic (e.g. some Fuller brushes) and nylon bristles (e.g. some Denman brushes). I don't know if they make vegetable fiber hair brushes; I usually only see those types of brushes for scrubbing things.

    If it doesn't have to be a bristle brush, you could look into hard nylon/plastic or wood pin/quill brushes (e.g. Denman D3, D4, the Goody knock-offs, various Scunci brushes, etc.). You could also try bone combs (which are made of resin, not bone). These are all pretty good for detangling, but none of them are gonna do much for smoothing down the hair.
    thanks for all of these suggestions. yeah, i just want to be able to smooth my hair down when i pull it back.

    i wish they made vegetable fiber brushes! :(

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    A good nylon bristle brush can do the same thing as a boar bristle brush - you just have to check to make sure that the bristles are stiff enough.

    Paddle/pin brushes or combs won't do the same thing as they are more for detangling purposes. Boars' bristle brushes are good for smoothing hair, esp. at the hairline or to put it up.

    I know some people who get good brushes from pet stores! (ie. the type of brush used for grooming horses or dogs.) I am sure there are some nylon or acrylic ones.


    actually i think i do have a nylon brush somewhere. and i'll also try pet stores. one thing this board has taught me is good things can be found in the strangest places! :wink:

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    curlyara wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    A good nylon bristle brush can do the same thing as a boar bristle brush - you just have to check to make sure that the bristles are stiff enough.

    Paddle/pin brushes or combs won't do the same thing as they are more for detangling purposes. Boars' bristle brushes are good for smoothing hair, esp. at the hairline or to put it up.

    I know some people who get good brushes from pet stores! (ie. the type of brush used for grooming horses or dogs.) I am sure there are some nylon or acrylic ones.


    actually i think i do have a nylon brush somewhere. and i'll also try pet stores. one thing this board has taught me is good things can be found in the strangest places! :wink:

    My favorite brush is a goody nylon brush It's cheap.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

    mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    curlyara wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    A good nylon bristle brush can do the same thing as a boar bristle brush - you just have to check to make sure that the bristles are stiff enough.

    Paddle/pin brushes or combs won't do the same thing as they are more for detangling purposes. Boars' bristle brushes are good for smoothing hair, esp. at the hairline or to put it up.

    I know some people who get good brushes from pet stores! (ie. the type of brush used for grooming horses or dogs.) I am sure there are some nylon or acrylic ones.


    actually i think i do have a nylon brush somewhere. and i'll also try pet stores. one thing this board has taught me is good things can be found in the strangest places! :wink:

    My favorite brush is a goody nylon brush It's cheap.
    got it! thanks.

    still have to visit petco!

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    Curlyara,

    I know that you like Aveda products and I was just reading that Aveda makes an incredible nylon brush that is Mason Pearson quality, according to many makeup alley review. They reviewers cautioned that they have two separate brushes, one with balls on the ends of the bristles and one without, which is the newer version. If you can find a store that carries the old version, I bet it would be great.

    I think that Aveda uses only synthetic bristles for their makeup brushes, too, by the way.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Curlyara,

    I know that you like Aveda products and I was just reading that Aveda makes an incredible nylon brush that is Mason Pearson quality, according to many makeup alley review. They reviewers cautioned that they have two separate brushes, one with balls on the ends of the bristles and one without, which is the newer version. If you can find a store that carries the old version, I bet it would be great.

    I think that Aveda uses only synthetic bristles for their makeup brushes, too, by the way.

    thanks! I'll have to check Aveda out next. :)

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.