CurlTalk

Read anything good lately?

Farmers_WifeFarmers_Wife Posts: 73Registered Users
I love books, I love the smell of a new book. I'll read anything. I'd read everything if I could. Haha. Right now I'm reading a book that I really bought for my husband, Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney. It's the book that was the inspiration for that show The Unit on CBS. I was reading a Nora Roberts book but somehow a bottle of leave-in conditioner opened and soaked through like half the pages. So that one has to dry out now.

Just wondering if anyone has read a good book lately. I'm always looking for suggestions on stuff to read.

Farmer's Wife
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotki.com%2Ffarmerswife" class="Popup

Currently using: Biotera Curl Creme & Styling Gel (and loving them!!!)

If you feel beautiful, you are beautiful.

Comments

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I just finished The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood. I love her stuff. She always plays around with perceptions of the truth and her characters are very vivid. She also wrote The Handmaid's Tale and Alias Grace which were great as well. I'm also working my way through the Philippa Gregory canon. I just read Wideacre which was good but a bit disturbing. I'm on The Boleyn Inheritance right now and I'm enjoying it.
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    right now i'm reading "flight of the falcon" by daphne du maurier. i just started reading it, but so far, i like it a lot. it's one of those "couldn't put it down" kind of books.
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    I just finished up Tallgrass by Sanda something. It's about the Japanese internment and it's told through the perspective of a 13 year old girl who lives next to the camp in rural CO. It was quite interesting:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    I'm re-reading Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi for the millionth time right now. Probably not the answer you were looking for but it truly is an exceptional true crime book.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    Dying to pick upThe Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. All of her stuff is awesome. Try Erik Larson. He wrote The Devil in the White City. Great book, based on historical events. I'm reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac right now. Trying to get into it. His stream of conciousness style of writing is hard to grasp onto.
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • Farmers_WifeFarmers_Wife Posts: 73Registered Users
    Another good book I read recently was "The Russian Concubine" by Kate Furnivall. It was a lovely romance with a lot of drama and action. It was one I couldn't put down.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotki.com%2Ffarmerswife" class="Popup

Currently using: Biotera Curl Creme & Styling Gel (and loving them!!!)

If you feel beautiful, you are beautiful.
  • LilahLilah Posts: 916Registered Users
    Another good book I read recently was "The Russian Concubine" by Kate Furnivall. It was a lovely romance with a lot of drama and action. It was one I couldn't put down.

I couldn't get into that one at all:( I don't think I even got half-way through it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Silent in the Grave and Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Evanovich Two for the Dough
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    I also enjoy Jhumpa Lahiri; Interpreter of Maladies is one of my favorite books!

Right now I'm reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and my half-sister gave me The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

Haddon's book is HILARIOUS in a really unfortunate/ awkward kind of way that makes you feel bad for laughing even when you cant help it.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    sariroo wrote: »
    I'm re-reading Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi for the millionth time right now. Probably not the answer you were looking for but it truly is an exceptional true crime book.

I read that book some years back and couldn't put it down!

I just finished reading Would I Lie To You and Nappily Faithful by Trisha Thomas (author of Nappily Ever After). Both are good chick lit books (but a little bit raunchy at times).

I have Kite Runner and The Purple Hibiscus on my shelf to read next.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmissmonie%2F" class="Popup - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I just finished Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. Yep, cheesy chick-lit, but I liked it. She's pretty funny.

I really want to read Uncertain Earth. I've heard good things about it.

Next on my list is a re-read of Sense and Sensibility. You can't beat a good Jane Austen book for a sunny day at the park!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • elsiesueelsiesue Posts: 17Registered Users
    I love books too and I am always looking for something good to read. Right now, I am reading, "The Last Time I was Me" by Cathy Lamb. So far it is pretty good. She also wrote "Julia's Chocolates", which I liked allot.
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users

I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books! Mystery with some good humor!

Right now I'm reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner...It's the sequel to her Good In Bed. Chick-lit, as nynaeve77 said, but I like it! I liked Good In Bed better than this one, but it's still good.

• unique87unique87 Posts: 71Registered Users
    Quote orginally posted by nynaeve77
    "Next on my list is a re-read of Sense and Sensibility. You can't beat a good Jane Austen book for a sunny day at the park!"

ITA! I love jane austen altough one book of her's I couldn't get into. Fell in love wit her when I read Pride and Prejudice finally found a copy of Presuasion love the book! Thanks KookyCurl for reminding me about Marget Atwood I think i'm going to read Alias Grace first already read HandMaid's Tale loved the book. Another great book is by Charlotte Bronte called Jane Ayer. I know so much about these books because I took a woman's literature class a couple of semsters ago loved it.
    coarse, thick, fine, low porosity

currently using:

Shampoo: Creme of Nature (red bottle) 2-3 times a week

Leave In: Givonnia Lustra Silk Shea and Mango

Gel: biotera gel, AOMM gel, Loreal Tightly Wound Gel, L'Oreal Melting Gel
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    I just read On Beauty by Zadie Smith and Slaughterhouse Five--very different books, but both were good. I especially recommend On Beauty if you haven't read it. It was more popular a few years ago when it came out, but it is such a beautiful and loving portrayal of very human, broken characters. Warning--be careful where you read this. I was sitting in a coffee shop during my lunch break bawling my eyes out. Another favorite that I read a few years ago was Can't Quit You Baby by Ellen Douglas. I LOVED that book and highly recommend it to anyone.
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    The Kite Runner. I love the writing, how it is so precise. Every word has meaning. It is also very sad in parts so BEWARE!:blob5:
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I'm re-reading There Are No Accidents by Robert Hopcke.

Waiting in line:

My Stroke of Insight by Julie Bolte Taylor

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
    by Norman Doidge

I'm into neuroplasticity, The Tarot, synchronicity and Jung right now. :) And, apparently, non-fiction.

I want to get Life of Pi by Yann Martel on Audible. My sister recommended it.

I want to re-read The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition again this summer.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I read How to Breathe Underwater, a collection of short stories by Julie Orringer. The six stories are really powerful and I re-read them a lot. I love the old books by Enid Blyton: Mallory Towers, The Secret Seven, The Famous Five, The Adventurous Four, and a series about a farm. They're hard to find, but fun to read. Kind of typical, and old and British, but so fun.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • RichardHeadRichardHead Banned Posts: 629Banned Users
    I just read The Great Gatsby from cover to cover tonight/this morning. Now I'm mad because I don't have anything else to read.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users

I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books! Mystery with some good humor!

Right now I'm reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner...It's the sequel to her Good In Bed. Chick-lit, as nynaeve77 said, but I like it! I liked Good In Bed better than this one, but it's still good.
    I have found myself laughing out loud & then looking around to see if anyone heard me...lol
    I'm on Three To Get Deadly...good, fun reading, which I've needed for a while since no more school! :iconbiggrin:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    missmonie wrote: »
    I have Kite Runner .
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I want to get Life of Pi by Yann Martel on Audible. My sister recommended it.

I can't recommend these two books enough. Absolutely loved them both.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    I just finished The Subtle Knife and am waiting for someone to return the last book in the Dark Materials trilogy (I am a library junkie).

While I wait for the Amber Spyglass, I'm reading the 2nd book in the Septimus Heap series.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    I love mysteries/suspense/crime dramas, especially if they're peppered with some humor, so I love Carl Hiaasen...just finished Skinny Dip. I'm also a James Patterson fan...just finished The Quickie and am now reading Beach Road.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    helloitsio wrote: »
    (I am a library junkie).

While I wait for the Amber Spyglass, I'm reading the 2nd book in the Septimus Heap series.

Those are good. I was returning books this AM and took two in for a man that was returning just two (I had a bag of them). So I am going to check out the Bartimeas (SP?) Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud....looks good.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    So I am going to check out the Bartimeas (SP?) Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud....looks good.

I've only read the first book in this trilogy, but I really loved it.
    I just have to find where my sister hid the second...
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Just in the middle of the Red Scarf which is her second book.....am loving it so much I went out and bought the Russian Concubine.
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • NottyNotty Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Finished and loved Water for Elephants.......also finished and loved the Glass Castle a true story which is amazing...............I LOVE A GOOD BOOK!:blob7:
    :toothy7:between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnotty6" class="Popup

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!:queen:
  • ontheoutsideontheoutside Posts: 35Registered Users
    a really awesome book is Crooked by laura and tom Mcneal. it was so good i was hoping for a second but unfortunately..no.
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users
    sariroo wrote: »

Oh yes! I think this is one of the best true crime books ever written. It absolutely chilled me to the bone and creeped me out when I first read it (many years ago). If you like true crime books, this is a definite must.

I just finished "Black Cross" by Greg Iles. Really suspenseful and kept me interested until the end which is hard to do anymore. He's one of my favorite writers these days.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.