CurlTalk

Banana clips: Does anyone here remember/ like them?

Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
Ok, I know that banana clips are way out of style and are just a thing of the 80's at this point, but for those of you that remember them or are familiar with them, do you honestly think they are ugly and just too old-fashioned looking to the point that they should never come back in style?

I honestly wish they would come back, to be honest. I always thought they look cool, and I still think so. But, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree with me (especially straight-haired people)....at least that's what I'm seeing after searching through forums on yahoo answers. I think that banana clips can compliment curly hair in a beautiful way.

Opinions?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I still use them. I bought some at a store last year.
    I wear what I like and don't worry too much about what other people think.

Speckla
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    Holy only 80's, I used to wear banana clips in my Jheri Curl. I definitely would wear them again though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back. There are tons of 18 y.o. running around thinking they are so originally fashionable wearing their brightly colored leggings, socks in pumps, leg warmers and such.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I would be the happiest person on earth if they would come back in style. I loved my hair then. THEN.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    When I was a kid I tried them, but they never held all my hair and always broke.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    When I was a kid I tried them, but they never held all my hair and always broke.

Yea, mine always broke at some point too, but I still liked them while they held my hair, lol. I always had to pick out a pretty strong one to hold my hair together....
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I still wear them when I blow dry my hair. I can't get it through my hair when it's curly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
    Start wearing them. I'm sure we can bring them back strong!!

Speckla
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I could never get those things to look right in my hair. Used to be so jealous of women with gorgeous curls who wore them, though. :)
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users
    I LOVED banana clips. They always made your ponytails look longer and fuller. I'd wear one now.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I could never get all my hair in a banana clip. They just weren't big enough. I have a TON of hair. TWO tons maybe. So it wouldn't do me any good if they came back in style.
    I saw a lady wearing two the other day like pigtails. It looked a bit odd but they're definitely in stores.

Speckla
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I had something that were wide half ovals with teeth that locked together. Those were the only thing I could wear. The actual banana clips were too wimpy even though I have fine thinnish hair.

ETA: This is what I had, in tortoise shell. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2F3-INTERLOCKING-CLAW-COMBS-BANANA-CLIPS-HAIR-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ330227497895QQcategoryZ18788QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem%23ebayphotohosting" class="Popup
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    I remember being soo jealous of my sister because she used them and they looked soo pretty on her. I was jealous because even though we both have curly hair I am the one with the super thick bushy hair and while she could wear banana clips I couldn't. No lie, within 5 minutes the clip would pop off in my hair. My hair was too thick. Which is when I began my life long love affair with cloth scrunchies.:toothy7:
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
    JerseyCurl wrote: »
    IWhich is when I began my life long love affair with cloth scrunchies.:toothy7:

I wish I could find some soft small ones in brown shades for gym, lawn, garden & biking/walking. Do you happen to know where I could find some? I'm not interested in any other color & if they came in the same pack, they'd get tossed in a charity bag.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    Sorry no, I would never wear them again.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    I had a few back in the day that I never could keep in my hair. No, I would not wear them again.
    <insert signature line here>
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    MizKerri wrote: »
    Sorry no, I would never wear them again.

Same here. They made too many people look like melon heads with a weird hair thing going on.
    If you guys want to go ahead and try for a come-back, go ahead, it would be interesting to see if it works.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    lazy loops wrote: »
    JerseyCurl wrote: »
    IWhich is when I began my life long love affair with cloth scrunchies.:toothy7:

I wish I could find some soft small ones in brown shades for gym, lawn, garden & biking/walking. Do you happen to know where I could find some? I'm not interested in any other color & if they came in the same pack, they'd get tossed in a charity bag.

I have found really good ones at Target and Sally's. Sometimes even Walgreens and CVS, hope this helps.:wink:
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG I hated those!!!! My adpted mom used to make me wear them all the time, and they would get so unbelievably tangled in my hair. I would get so much hair ripped out trying to get those stupid things off my head.
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    AHHHH! I had so many of those!!!!!!

Bring em back! :blob7:
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I had something that were wide half ovals with teeth that locked together. Those were the only thing I could wear. The actual banana clips were too wimpy even though I have fine thinnish hair.

ETA: This is what I had, in tortoise shell. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2F3-INTERLOCKING-CLAW-COMBS-BANANA-CLIPS-HAIR-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ330227497895QQcategoryZ18788QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem%23ebayphotohosting" class="Popup

I had those too! I still have a banana clip too! I loved how it made my hair look! I have fine/thin hair and it made it look FULL!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Remember them, yes, wore one, maybe once or twice
    Want them to come back in style, umm, no.
    2b/3a.
    xcptnl wrote: »

I had those too! I still have a banana clip too! I loved how it made my hair look! I have fine/thin hair and it made it look FULL!

I love those combs and banana clips. I'd wear the first if I could find them in a store. So what if some people think it looks dated. It's no worse than the leggins, tunics, and other 80s inspired styles that people are wearing.

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    xcptnl wrote: »

I love those combs and banana clips. I'd wear the first if I could find them in a store. So what if some people think it looks dated. It's no worse than the leggins, tunics, and other 80s inspired styles that people are wearing.

Speckla

It made my hair look full too. I got compliments all the time about the cascade of curls.

The last I saw, they're sold at a public/private beauty supply store not too far from where I live.

I had mine still, but not worn since the early to mid 90s, that I sold at a yard sale in 2004 with all my other 80s - 90s hair accessories. I tried it for giggles before but my hair was thinner and/or straighter so it didn't work too well. I also couldn't get all the hair in at the bottom & top parts of the combs.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I'm immortalized in my HS Senior yearbook wearing one.:tongue5:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    No I would not wear them.Banana clips and scrunchies are so tacky looking.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
    Remember them? Yes.
    Like them? No.

They never held all of my massive halo of hair and broke as I struggled with them.

They actually did come back in style for a hot minute (now that all things 80s are back, including breakdancing!) but seemed to have left again.
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    OMG, these things saved me back in high school when I was growing my VERY short hair to a decent length:laughing7:

I don't think that I would wear them now, but a lot of people were able to make their hair really pretty w/ them back in the day:toothy7:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I had them and wore them. :) I don't know if I would now though, at almost 45. ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    omg! i saw a lady in starbx today w/ one on. the weird thing was she had relaxed hair & it was limp. it looked odd.

i could never get my hair 2 fit in them. i did have the 2 comb things but i used them to hold a french roll.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez